Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension JCW brake pad longevity????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:44 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
JCW brake pad longevity????

I am wondering how long the JCW brake pads should last, mostly normal driving with occasional and a couple of track events.

Thanks,

Old 11-11-2008, 03:47 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats impossible to quantify. Normal driving to yuo is different than normal driving to me. Each track is different, some are hard on brakes some are not. Some people are just naturally harder on the brakes and burn through pads, are are not. There is just no way one can say they should last from x to y miles.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:42 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I know that's a tough one to answer. Got an answer back from the dealership. I didn't realize that the car had a brake pad wear sensor that would tell me when it's time to replace the pads.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Originally Posted by davisflyer
Yeah, I know that's a tough one to answer. Got an answer back from the dealership. I didn't realize that the car had a brake pad wear sensor that would tell me when it's time to replace the pads.
yea but, if you light up at a track event you are done for the day, unless you have extra pads with you and ready to change them track side. I'd remove each wheel and with a light look at each pad before a track event and make sure you have 1/2 pad or better on the JCW's before hitting a hard braking track. IMHO based on the feed back of my customers and track rat friends.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:43 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dustin's dead on. The brake wear sensor is worthless for the track, I don't even have mine hooked up anymore. If you don't have at least half the pad there, don't hit the track--you can get to the backing plate pretty darned quick, depending on the track. It's always a good idea to have an extra set up pads if you're tracking, it's pretty much a must.

Get a good set of pads for the track, there are several that are better and cheaper than the JCW pads for track use, use the JCW's for the street if you can. The JCW pads will last forever on the street, but they're not so good for the track--I had a MAJOR problem with them at the beginning of the year on the track, so much so that I ditched the kit altogether and switched to a Wilwood BBK (which has worked out MUCH better, although not perfect).

Old 11-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Calaway16
3rd Gear
I have a set of drilled/slotted rotors (somewhat by accident) which eat through pads like a cheese grater. I went to a one track day with four 20 minute sessions and went through half of the pads.

Question: I've done several track days (eight I believe) without changing rears, but have changed the fronts three times. Is that normal?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, the brake bias is like 80/20, if you have better pads on the front it might even be a little higher. I have 6 track days on my rears (I have carbotech xp8's on the rears), and they're nowhere near close to needing to be changed. I pulled them off and put my stock pads on for the winter, and I was surprised how much pad is still left, they'll still be good for next year.