Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension lowering springs / camber adjustment ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 PM
thelarness
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lowering springs / camber adjustment ?

I have a 2005 or a 07/2004 mini cooper s r53. I'm planning on adding performance springs, which will lower approximately 1.25 in. front and rear. Will it require camber caster adjustment? And if so should i take her to a local alignment shop to do the work? IM replacing the springs myself ..... thanks in advance for the awesome input ...

Old 02-09-2018, 10:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
You will for sure need rear adj control arms for the rear to not eat through the rear tires
https://www.waymotorworks.com/h-spor...ber-links.html

If you want to have the camber in the front even you will need camber plates in the front. But you will gain camber just from the lowering alone.

Also lowering that much you will loose so much shock travel it's a good idea to upgrade to Konis.

I would suggest looking up how to do the jobs and deciding if it is something you want to do yourself or not.
For sure get an alignment when done.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-10-2018, 09:19 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Shocks are (should be) paired with springs. If you install lowering springs they will have a higher spring rate and the shocks will be taxed to control the stiffer springing action. Expect shortened shock life and in the meantime sub-par road behavior.

In short you really should consider replacing the shocks with ones that are intended to work with the new springs.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:35 PM
thelarness
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do appreciate the heads up in the meantime can u put a link for the konis now ill have to weigh the costs of assy the right combo and outright coil over shocks and struts packages, if there was a set of coil overs that were averagely priced for some track more back road twisties ( i live in northern California ) and a regular daily driver ps if I owned a VW id be set mini coopers are new and I've been greasy a few times behind an engine.
thanks in advance

Old 02-12-2018, 03:30 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
First, check Realoem, item # 14 in the below thread as the later model rear control arm does have some adjustment to it. If the bar is adjustable, Way's TSW springs that drop 3/4" may not need two new adjustable bars. A drop on the front would require adjustable front camber links.

Next, yes lowering springs on existing struts will wear them out much quicker. What is your budget? You will have the struts off to change springs so that would be the time to change them. You can also think about used coilovers but remember you could be opening a can of worms with them.