North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension-69/)
-   -   Suspension Koni coilovers or Megan coilovers? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/133441-koni-coilovers-or-megan-coilovers.html)

RedSkunk 03-26-2008 06:31 AM

:roll: nm junk post

roofaS 03-26-2008 06:44 AM

Yep your right, I deleted it.

RedSkunk 03-26-2008 07:21 AM

.... No, my post was.... :razz:

I was going to say you could buy a used set of BC/Megan and ship from the US and it'd still be a reasonable price.. But you probably could never get them rebuilt in the UK, so it'd be a PITA

roofaS 03-26-2008 07:42 AM

Well I'm hoping that I won't have to have them rebuilt but as I look at it whether the coilovers are serviceable here or not, the car will be out of action regardless:)

It's currently a race between the Konis, Megans, and now the BCs

RedSkunk 03-26-2008 08:36 AM

I eventually went with the BCs. They sell for $100 more and are a tiny bit beefier / allow more travel and came with the flexible adjusters for the rear from the site I bought from (coast2coast.com). Figured it was such a big investment, no reason to skimp on the last $100 if buying new.

But I would have been content with the Megans too. :nod:

AutoXCooper.com 03-26-2008 01:55 PM

AutoXCooper includes the rear flexible adjusters to it's customers for FREE and is selling the v3 Megan Coilover with more travel for those that want it. FYI, if you want to slam/lower your Cooper coilovers is not the best way to do it. A set of TSW springs would lower it more then a set of Megan Coilovers.

All the coilovers on the market at this time are fine products, do your research ask questions to make sure you are getting what you really need.

roofaS 03-26-2008 02:09 PM

Reason I am opting for coilovers is for ride height adjustment - I have two sets of wheels, one which sit in the wells no problem but the other require 16mm spacers up front (to clear the BBK) which push the wheels way outside the arch. With the former I can slam it, but with the latter set on I'll have to raise the suspension. I also want struts/springs to work in harmony to give me the best possible ride - with everything in mind, I think coilovers are my only option, but I'm here to learn so any advice is much appreciated :)

RedSkunk 03-27-2008 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com (Post 2120986)
A set of TSW springs would lower it more then a set of Megan Coilovers.

That's either an exageration, or an indication that BCs are much different, as I got about 1.5" lowering out of mine, front and rear, from stock.

Wake|MCS 03-27-2008 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by RedSkunk (Post 2122282)
That's either an exageration, or an indication that BCs are much different, as I got about 1.5" lowering out of mine, front and rear, from stock.

I thought the Megan/BC coilovers allowed for more than a 1.5" drop?

minisystema 03-27-2008 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com (Post 2120986)
AutoXCooper includes the rear flexible adjusters to it's customers for FREE and is selling the v3 Megan Coilover with more travel for those that want it. FYI, if you want to slam/lower your Cooper coilovers is not the best way to do it. A set of TSW springs would lower it more then a set of Megan Coilovers.

All the coilovers on the market at this time are fine products, do your research ask questions to make sure you are getting what you really need.

How hard is the install for the TSW springs? I heard the back's easy but the front was tough?

Thanks.
T.

AutoXCooper.com 03-27-2008 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by RedSkunk (Post 2122282)

It was neither. I just wanted members to know Megan's may not be the best way to really lower/slam a MINI.

AutoXCooper.com 03-27-2008 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by minisystema (Post 2122583)
How hard is the install for the TSW springs? I heard the back's easy but the front was tough?

Thanks.
T.

http://www.txwerks.com/images/Instal...%20Springs.pdf

RedSkunk 03-28-2008 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wake|MCS (Post 2122428)
I thought the Megan/BC coilovers allowed for more than a 1.5" drop?

From what I've read, the redesigned ones don't allow for as large a drop as the older ones.

If the OP only wants to go 10mm or so lower than whatever he's using now, then the Megan / BCs should lower enough.

roofaS 03-28-2008 07:29 AM

So the Megans/BCs will give a drop of 40mm or so from stock? No one seems to list how much of a drop is achievable with either.

bean 03-28-2008 05:02 PM

no coilover manufacturer would dare to publish such a number. it is way to dependent upon factors beyond their control. available drop is a function of tire si e, alignment (particularly camber), wheel si e, willingness to "modifiy" the wheel opening, etc. your best source is here, on NAM. many different combos have been tried, some successfully, other no so much..... for me, i set the other variables (tires, alignment etc), then drop to a tolerable level. tires will "self-clearance" the wheel well opening! keep diggin' for info.

Ryephile 03-30-2008 08:49 AM

H&R and KW publish recommended lowering ranges i.e. "Lowering 30-55mm", however neither offer damper body length adjustment, you end up changing the compression-to-rebound-travel ratio.

[rant]
I find it annoying that some coilover "manufacturers" do not publish damper or lowering range information. I believe that people that are trying to sell things should actually try to sell them; lack of information either means they're incompetent sellers or hiding something. A company could have the best performing and most adjustable coilovers out there but some idiot in marketing didn't want to get up from his desk to get the data to publish. The published lowering range should either publish required alignment specs or note an assumed stock alignment.
[/rant]

Out of the box, BC coilovers with their stiff 8kg/mm springs will only allow for about 1" lowering versus stock [more on a heavily optioned MINI]. I was able to squeeze out 1.9" suspension lowering front and rear by fabricating a 3/8" front spindle drop and putting on softer springs to bring my compression-to-rebound-travel ratio close to stock.

roofaS 03-30-2008 10:43 AM

I've been informed by a BC vendor that I should be able to achieve a 40mm drop assuming nothing rubs. If I go with the BCs, I'm opting for 6kg front and rear with the new progressive front springs. If I don't get a 40mm drop I'm gonna be pissed which is why Konis are my other choice - it's between these two at the moment.

bdog1 03-30-2008 11:24 AM

I don't have my new Megans installed yet, but if your looking for a great deal try....
http://www.autoxcooper.com/megan.html
there also in the review section here... bdog1

roofaS 03-30-2008 11:49 AM

Thanks bdog, but it's going to be either BC or Koni :)

roofaS 03-30-2008 02:37 PM

Decided to go with Koni. Spoke to the wife and she felt more comfortable buying from the UK in the event of any warranty issues.

However, I was offered a fantastic deal on BC coilovers which I really wanted to go with from Cliff at Coast2Coast , who was also most helpful, but the wife spoke and the wife must be obeyed :lol:

Will post pics as soon as I have them fitted.

Thanks to all for the advice and to the vendors who have been most helpful :thumbsup:

RedSkunk 03-30-2008 02:37 PM

I do not know the exact "drop" from my BCs, but it's got to be at least 40mm, since my previous lowering springs supposedly lowered 30mm and these are a fair amount lower. I have maybe a little more than an inch of clearance at the lowest part of the car (the plastic skirting in the front). This is with 6kg springs all around, a lightly optioned car, the BCs all the way down, and 15" wheels with 185/65 tires.

But I'll add the all important "your mileage may vary".... Just because.

EDIT: You posted at the same time. I totally understand your decision, being in the UK and the BCs not available over there.

sprp85 03-30-2008 03:24 PM

great choice on the konis.. :thumbsup:

AutoXCooper.com 03-30-2008 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by roofaS (Post 2127249)
I've been informed by a BC vendor that I should be able to achieve a 40mm drop assuming nothing rubs. If I go with the BCs, I'm opting for 6kg front and rear with the new progressive front springs. If I don't get a 40mm drop I'm gonna be pissed which is why Konis are my other choice - it's between these two at the moment.

FYI: The Megan 1st came on the market with 6kg on the front and customers didn't like how the front end when lowered would bottom out at speed over bumps.