STX (Street Touring X) Peru, Tour and Pro report

Old 06-09-2006, 10:39 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peru, Tour and Pro report

Sat. at the Tour was a WRX course and I was still getting use to my new Webb Extreme bar and was in 6th going into Sunday's runs. Sunday's course was MINI favorable and I moved into the trophies, finishing 4th. Billy Brook's kicked A. in a WRX taking the win but Craig Wilcow had the fastest Sunday runs in his Mini and finished second.

My old codriver decided to join me at the Pro since his STS Honda is in parts. He wanted to use his fresh shaved Falken 615's in front instead of my 2 year old 215's that had been my rain tires and at the end of day one I was .6 out of second but WAY behind Billy Brook's in the WRX. This looked to be as Mini friendly a course as a Pro gets. We had to try something, run the old 215's f/r adjust the rear bar, something. Since I was ahead of Courtney going into Sunday's runs, I decided the car felt better to me at the Tour with the 215's f/r so that's how I ran Sunday at the Tour. First run out on cold tires several tenths faster! Second run much faster, but cliped 2 cones I didn't even feel. 3rd run tree problem blew my mind and I coned the next run thinking about that and the re-run. Courtney could see the car was better a decided to run it just the same except he wanted one more pound in the rear tires, as he likes it looser than me. He turned 4 amazing runs in, and his worst reaction time was .524, he finished in 2nd, less than .5 out of first, with the feeling that had we run the old tires both days, he could have won. I got lucky and made it into the Bonus Challenge, then WON!!

Next stop for the Pro is D.C. where he won last year. I have since added some more power, GIAC, with more planed and have some more tires coming, 225/45/15 Hankooks, as the 215's may not make it to Nationals unless I give them a rest.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:12 AM
dpayne1
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Richard,

Good job at Peru - congrats on the bonus challenge win. I'll be looking forward to seeing you at the DC Pro.

David

Old 06-13-2006, 09:04 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard

Good report. Courtney was on fire Sunday Morning. You would have been too if it were not for a couple unfortunate mis-haps. Anyway, nice running with you guys and thanks for the input on setup. I hope to see you soon at another event. We will get those Scoobies sooner or later, maybe just not at the Pro's. :-)

Craig

Oh, I now have the 300mm lens, so, we are all set at the next National Event. ;-) I'll have to post some pics up of this past weekends Heartland Park Event.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:16 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm just following along and enjoy reading the reports you guys post.

Originally Posted by OasisT
Oh, I now have the 300mm lens, so, we are all set at the next National Event. ;-)
Oh, new camera gear. Which lens?

Old 06-13-2006, 10:13 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave
I'm just following along and enjoy reading the reports you guys post.

Oh, new camera gear. Which lens?
Canon 300mm 4L IS It seems light enough and fast enough to where I can simply carry it around at an autocross, which, to me, is much more desirable than the heavier, more expensive, marginally better as far as optically I'm told, 2.8L with a Monopod.

I have a 20D and I just learned that I need to have the AF-WB with the AF set to Al Servo rather than "one shot" since several of my multiple shot pics were out of focus this past weekend at HPT. LOL, I got home and uploaded several good photo's and several dozen slightly out of focus photo's that would have been really good if perfectly focused. I guess thats what practice is for though. My next lesson will be on figuring out how to correctly set the White Balance rather than using the AWB selection. I guess I need a meter. Hmm, so many things to learn. :-)

Craig