STX (Street Touring X) Prepping a car for STX (questions)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Finalstatic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prepping a car for STX (questions)

Taking the driver out of the equation and dealing just with the car, what would the optimum changes be that could be made to a 05 MCS (w/ LSD) to prep it for STX and keep it as a daily driver?

Things I've gathered so far:

CAI - as long as it doesn't change the partition behind the airbox.

Wheels/Tires - I'm still a bit confused by all the choices here, I know I want to change to 16" wheels + some tire, but the choices start making my head spin a bit. I have 17" Web Spokes + Runflats on the car now.

Alignment - Are camber plates necessary to get the alignment changes that I see posted here and there for autocrossing? Or is it achievable without them?

Software changes - Mysterious black magic. Not sure of the legality of MTH for example since I can't find a list of what changes are made by the MTH flash. I have heard that some changes to the DSC are made by the base MTH and this appears to be not allowed in 14.11.A.8, albeit the DSC will be off via the console switch.

Exhaust - On the list for changing eventually.

Suspension - Rear swaybar is going on this week (at softest setting for now), I'm not familiar enough with the rest of the components and their functions to make an educated assessment of changing them. I currently have the SS+ in the car.

Brakes - Another eventual upgrade.

Shift kit - I am really not familiar with these either, I take it that they just shorten the throw needed to switch gears.

Driver - On the list just a matter of finding a class that I can work into my schedule.

What priority should I place on the different mechanical changes? Keep in mind that I'm not planning on competing outside of the region and will be in STX-N for this season. What I would like are some basic and affordable upgrades, changes that would make the car handle nicely so that I have a good platform to work with as I learn and improve my driving abilities (yes school is important)

Thanks in advance for any tips and hints

Old 02-21-2006, 08:13 PM
90STX
5th Gear
For STX

1. Seat time and driver improvements

2. Harness or some other means of holding you in place so you can focus on steering and pedal inputs instead of bracing yourself. You're not trying to make the car safer on road courses, so this really isn't hard to install. Lap belts can be attached using the same mounting bolts as your factory lap belt (not eliminating the lap belt for street use). Shoulder harness can clip to the rear seat latch point (back seat folded) for autocross use only. Don't use this on the street or a real track.

3. Wheels and tires - current strong setup would be a light 16x7.5" wheel and 205/40-16 Falken Azenis, at least until the 215/45-16 Azenis become available. Kosei K1-Rs from TireRack are nicely priced, pretty light, and pretty strong. They also easily fit 215/45-16 tires stock or lowered without rubbing. If you have plenty of $ to spend, lighter or different wheels are available.

4. Adjustable rear sway bar - plenty of choices out there, H-Sport will save you a bit of weight.

5. Camber plates

6. Rear adjustable control arms (H-Sport, as heim joints are not legal in STX)

7. Coilovers, such as Bilstein, Leda, KW, Spax, Megan?

8. Brakes - carefully bleed brakes, using good fluid. SS lines are nice for a firmer pedal, and I like EBC Greenstuff pads for autocrossing, but the really important point is getting ALL the air out of the lines so the pedal feel is predictable and more easily controlled. Rotor changes and BBKs are not needed for autocrossing, but become usefull for track days.

9. Exhaust - preferably something lighter than stock with a bit of extra power. Pick your poison.

10. Software flash to give elevated redline and another bit of extra power. Redline increase can allow you to hold a gear a bit longer, occasionally eliminating the need to make a shift.

11. CAI - another bit of extra power, plus it looks nice with the hood up. This mod is not going to gain (or lose) you any finishing positions in all likelyhood. For that matter, #9 and #10 probably aren't likely to either, though they'll help more than a CAI.

12. Light weight seats, lighter battery

Hope that is useful. You certainly don't need all of the above to get started, and probably won't to be regionally competitive either. Have fun and get lots of seat time. THAT really helps, more than any mod.

Scott
90SM

Old 02-21-2006, 08:14 PM
scobib
5th Gear
IMHO, start by adding camber plates, adjustable control arms in the rear (or the KMAC rear camber kit, which is what I am using) and light wheels and sticky tires... You'll get the biggest bang-for-the-buck outta those!

You won't be able to achieve the camber settings you're reading about without camber plates and adjustable rear arms (or the mentioned camber kit).

Old 02-21-2006, 08:24 PM
90STX
5th Gear
Dang it, I forgot about including the JCW kit. That is a real and useful power increase (especially low to mid rpms where the MCS can really use it). Not used to it being STX legal yet.

Other than the JCW, it's the handling mods that will really help. Especially wheels, tires, RSB, and the ability to get proper alignment settings (camber adjustment).

Scott
90SM

Old 02-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Finalstatic
2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies, definitely gives me a starting point. I understand about gaining experience, and that truly is my #1 priority (and having fun while doing it.) The mods are more of a roadmap going forward, once I gain the experience to appreciate what they are doing for me. The tire issue will be the first one addressed, probably not in time for the next regional, but I can hope. Tirerack is out of stock on the silver K1's so maybe I'll bite the bullet buy the white ones and get a good jack and keep the webspokes for street use.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:21 PM
scobib
5th Gear
Heh... Yeah, I forgot seat time... that's prolly the #1 mod you can do, to the driver!