STX (Street Touring X) New to MCS = help with STX setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 02:06 PM
STi_Rocky
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to MCS = help with STX setup?

Ok, I currently have an STi that I run in STU. I used to run a WRX in the early days of STX. I know who in SoCal to go to for Sube parts and installs, but need to know who in SoCal, specially Orange County, is a good Mini shop that understands SCCA Solo II, so I can setup a killer STX MCS with the JCW option on it. I don't have the car now, but am planning on this as a possibility. Oh, and it is now official - the KCW from the factory is now legal in STX, and it is mentioned that adding the JCW to an existing MCS is legal too in STX!!!!

Now, I am reading the FAQ, but still would like some first hand thoughts on what to do:

Seat = I will take out my Cobra Missan R out of the STi, and put it into the MCS. It weighs maybe 20lbs at the most, and is the best seat I have ever sat in! Don't really seem to like the stock seat much.

Tires = I currently have the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 on my STi in 245/40/17 and LOVE them! So will try to see if there are the correct sized to use on the MCS - any suggestion of sizes?

Wheels = FAQ says up to 8", but mentions most use 15X7 or 15X7.5 - why is that? The 71" is too tall? And why not 17X8, 16X8, or 15X8? Does it have to do with gearing? In the 6spd of my STi, we have a lot of problems at the end of a long straight having to decide if to go into 3rd, or band the rev limiter. Does the MCS also have the same problem?

Shocks = I wonder which is best? Regular Koni with springs, or go to a full coilover? I had Zeal V6 on my STi, but went to KW V3's and love them. But from what I read on here, the KW's are a bit on the soft side (and no V3, only V1 or V2)? Leda would be $$$$ I imagine, and SPAX - sheesh, didn't realize they were still around! Had those on my ancient 69 Lotus Europa back in the old days. Are they any good? Us old farts from the Triumph/MG days never trusted much from the UK Suggestions?

Brakes = imagine I will do the usual, braided brake lines.

Swaybars = keep front stock? There is a new push in the STi thought process now that we WANT a bigger bar in front. Reason being, having a strut suspension, when the STi leans in a turn, the body roll steals away your static camber and you loose traction in the turns. So now going to this new Strano 32mm hollow FSB, though we may still get understeer, it will be at a much higher limit due to more negative camber kept on the ground longer. Thoughts anyone?

Suspension = Sube had Group N motor mounts and such from STi. Is there the same for Mini? Can even buy a complete Group N bushing kit. As for camber plates, do they come with the coilovers? Or is there a kit that is sold?

Engine = are headers needed? Do they help any? Will an aftermarket ECU or flash help if you already have the JCW kit? Who makes the short shift kit? Does it help any? As the JCW already comes with an LSD, is the Quaife ATB still needed instead?

Now, anything else you all can suggest?

And as for buying the car, what options do you suggest? I want a NAV unit, got spoiled with the Kenwood Excelon I have now. The factory unit looks weak to me comapared to my Kenwood. Is there another that will fit in the same spot? Or will the swingout Pioneer work? Geez, there seems to be like a zillion options for the car, just can't figure out which ones I want! So any help is GREATLY appreciated! But most of all, I will need a shop local to me that KNOWS what they are doing, so that most of all.

Thanks Guys!
Rocky