STX (Street Touring X) 06 JCW MCS in STX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Porsche1VW
2nd Gear
Location: Miller Beach, 30 miles from Chicago on Lake Michigan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 JCW MCS in STX?

Where does the Factory 06 JCW MCS get classed. Does it go into STX?

Old 11-20-2005, 06:22 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
The 06+ JCW landed in B-Stock. Earlier years are on the stock exclusion list.
http://scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/05-12-fastrack.pdf
page 9 bottom right corner.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Porsche1VW
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=JustGo4It_]The 06+ JCW landed in B-Stock. Earlier years are on the stock exclusion list.

Yes, I know is in BS, but what ST class with street tires, camber plates, sway bars, and springs etc - STX?

Old 11-20-2005, 06:40 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
The "S" would compete in STX.
I'm not sure if the JCW will be excluded from running in STX.
The 06 list hasn't been published yet.
Below is the current list of excluded cars:

Audi S4 (V8 engine), BMW M3 (E36 & E46) and M5,Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Subaru Impreza WRX STi, Mazda RX-8

Old 12-08-2005, 04:44 PM
nygaard
3rd Gear
Since they allowed pre-06 JCW's to run in STU, I would guess that is where the 06 JCW will stay as well. Sounds like from what James wrote, the JCW would have to be explicitly excluded from STX, because otherwise it should qualify. Good question.....

Jake

Old 12-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Porsche1VW
2nd Gear
06 Jcw Mcs

The 06 JCW MCS is a factory option, and I expect it will thus be in STX

Old 12-08-2005, 05:11 PM
nygaard
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Porsche1VW
I wouldn't count on anything just yet. Here is a good thread on it on the SCCAforums.com website:

http://sccaforums.com/forums/158810/ShowPost.aspx

Old 12-12-2005, 02:37 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
The Civic Si has more WHP than the JCW, so, I wonder if they will put it in STX. I would think that both the JCW and Civic Si would be in STX. The only reason the pre 06 JCW was in STU was because the JCW was not a factory option, and, they were nice enough to give it a non-competitive home. Now that it is a factory option, I think its a perfect STX fit, and, it certainly doesn' have any attributes that would sway the SEB/BOD to put it into STU IMO.

Weird crap happens all the time though, so, who knows. Right now, I believe that it is STX legal unless otherwise stated since the JCW is just a line item for a MCS for 06.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:24 PM
minifinn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Porsche1VW
The 2006 On line rule book is out. The JCW is in STX as far as I can tell. It is not in the exclusion list. However, the rule book appears to be Royally Screwed up. A lot of updates missed for STU and other classes. I don't know what to believe.

http://scca.com/_filelibrary/File/2006_solo_rules.pdf

See discussion here

http://sccaforums.com/forums/168510/ShowPost.aspx

Old 12-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
All JCW years are now legal in STX, per the Feb Fastrack

Old 12-22-2005, 12:43 PM
minifinn
4th Gear
Interesting thing is, it appears we would be able to retrofit the JCW kit to an older MCS provided the options are consistent and correct and still say in STX.

The economics of the whole deal might be interesting if you are looking at a used MCS, even with resale the way it is, and you can turn a wrench yourself.

Things that make you think.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Rocketspeed
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Motoring
All JCW years are now legal in STX, per the Feb Fastrack
Keith is correct. Yes, that does mean that you can update an earlier MCS with the dealer installed JCW package (mine goes in next week).

Note, this does not allow you to change only part of the package (like the upgraded supercharger ratio). You can, however, change the exhaust system (from the factory JCW unit) since this is a legal mod in STX.

It's probably not enough to beat the best of the WRX's or Bimmers, but it sure will help.
-

Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Heck yeah it will help! I think, with the right driver and the new tranny on the 05+ and the extra 48HP over the earlier model Cooper S's, it will contend in STX. If only I had some good sponsorship from a distributor or manufacture. I definitely would donate myself and my Mini for the cause.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:41 AM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
SM WRX to STX JCW MCS

I've decided to go down this path. I'm currently driving an SM competitive WRX (car not driver). I'm on the waiting list to order my MINI and have been debating GS MCS, SM MCS or STX JCW. Even though it pains me to give up my beloved R compounds, the idea of fewer mods and being able to run without swapping tires, etc. is very appealing. The idea of beating up some of my ole Suby buddies in STX is also quite appealing. Now I just have to wait 5-6 months to take delivery. I am not a very patient person. Hopefully I'll be able to get in enough events in STX to qualify for season trophies. The Rex is too far gone to easily take back to STX (steering rack quickener for one). My MCS test drive made me drool thinking about it on the AutoX course. Oooh, I can't wait. Patience, patience.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:19 PM
nygaard
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wharf_rat
I've decided to go down this path. I'm currently driving an SM competitive WRX (car not driver). I'm on the waiting list to order my MINI and have been debating GS MCS, SM MCS or STX JCW. Even though it pains me to give up my beloved R compounds, the idea of fewer mods and being able to run without swapping tires, etc. is very appealing. The idea of beating up some of my ole Suby buddies in STX is also quite appealing. Now I just have to wait 5-6 months to take delivery. I am not a very patient person. Hopefully I'll be able to get in enough events in STX to qualify for season trophies. The Rex is too far gone to easily take back to STX (steering rack quickener for one). My MCS test drive made me drool thinking about it on the AutoX course. Oooh, I can't wait. Patience, patience.
You should be able to find a place that can order you one a lot sooner than 5-6 months.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:47 PM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nygaard
You should be able to find a place that can order you one a lot sooner than 5-6 months.
Besides being impatient, I'm also incredibly lazy. I like the convenience of dealing with the local Denver dealer. But now that you mention it, I could get a big chunk of the breakin period out of the way on the drive back home from an out of state dealer. Hmmmmmm, a mini MINI vacation. Might be worth investigating. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2005, 11:05 AM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
Took your advice. I will now be driving an '06 RG/S JCW back from Cleveland in late Feb. Plenty of time to throw on a swaybar and camber plates, get an alignment, order SSR Comps w/ Azenis and be ready to go.

Mileage from Cleveland to Denver = 1,333. That last 133 miles will be exciting.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:31 PM
nygaard
3rd Gear
Took your advice. I will now be driving an '06 RG/S JCW back from Cleveland in late Feb. Plenty of time to throw on a swaybar and camber plates, get an alignment, order SSR Comps w/ Azenis and be ready to go.

Mileage from Cleveland to Denver = 1,333. That last 133 miles will be exciting.
Congrats on your order! When I bought mine, I got it from Motorwerks Mini in Mineapolis (bad experience - salesperson at pickup, not dealership. Apperantly she was offended that I wasn't jumping up and down and dressed like my Mini or something like that - I don't really know - I was picking up a car, not having a baby....), drove directly to Fontana for the Pro Solo last year (It helps that I had all the racing goodies shipped to my parent's place near there to have ready for the trip).

Jake

Old 12-31-2005, 12:49 PM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
Congrats on your order! When I bought mine, I got it from Motorwerks Mini in Mineapolis (bad experience - salesperson at pickup, not dealership. Apperantly she was offended that I wasn't jumping up and down and dressed like my Mini or something like that - I don't really know - I was picking up a car, not having a baby....), drove directly to Fontana for the Pro Solo last year (It helps that I had all the racing goodies shipped to my parent's place near there to have ready for the trip).

Jake
Thanks. You mean you didn't dress up like a giant Chili or Pepper Shaker or whatever? What's wrong with you, man?!? I plan on dressing up as the uber-creepy Burger King guy when I take delivery.

I haven't done a Pro Solo event yet but they look like a blast. I'll have to try it out here in Denver in July.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:59 PM
nygaard
3rd Gear
I plan on dressing up as the uber-creepy Burger King guy when I take delivery.
Like this: http://www.americanangst.com/dingfries.html

I haven't done a Pro Solo event yet but they look like a blast. I'll have to try it out here in Denver in July.
Last year was my first - they are a ton of fun IMO. I don't know yet if I'll be coming to Denver for the National events this year, but I went last year. A little hot, but a lot of fun. Maybe I'll see you there.

Jake

Old 01-16-2006, 12:59 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
so why isn't a 15% pulley allowed into the stx class? If I installed a jcw pulley on my stock mcs with the jcw head would this be legal? I would think that a 15% pulley would be also?

Old 01-16-2006, 02:09 PM
minifinn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
so why isn't a 15% pulley allowed into the stx class? If I installed a jcw pulley on my stock mcs with the jcw head would this be legal? I would think that a 15% pulley would be also?
A JCW package must be installed as a "complete" package as offered for that year AND model. No picking individual components, updating or backdating allowed. However, you can substitute individual components normally allowed to be changed in STX rules like aftermarket, cat back exhaust, CAI, swaybars, springs/coilovers, etc....

If in doubt, read the Solo Rule Book. It is FREE on-line on the SCCA website.

If it doesn't say you can......then you can't!!!!

Overall it is a great ruling by the SEB to allow the JCW package to be added to older MCS's AND stay in STX class. I don't know of any other ruling like this in the past. Others will scream "MINI favoritisim" for sure, but it is a done deal for now.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:15 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Basically to go JCW all you need is JCW Cylinder head, Supercharger and Injectors. ECU upgrade is allowed in STX so unless there are physical components added to the JCW ECU upgrade, any ECU flash should be OK.

I have a JCW Supercharger available that I'm going to sell in a few days if your interested. I might also have a Cylinder Head that I could direct you to also. That would be the best way to go for anyone wanting to make the jump. Tenatively, I'd let the SC go for $850 I guess. I know, its the same SC as the stock MCS with the exception of the pulley, but, its got the JCW part number thats needed to be legal in STX which is what matters since merely changing the pulley on a regular MCS would not be legal since it is a different part number. I figure if someone has the time to part it together, which I had planned on doing, they could get the JCW conversion for STX for around $2K. Not too shabby!

Old 01-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Rocketspeed
1st Gear
ignore

Old 01-17-2006, 07:53 AM
Rocketspeed
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OasisT
Basically to go JCW all you need is JCW Cylinder head, Supercharger and Injectors. ECU upgrade is allowed in STX so unless there are physical components added to the JCW ECU upgrade, any ECU flash should be OK.
I don't think this is correct. The JCW kit includes a different cold air intake system. It replaces part or all of the partition near the firewall on the driver's side. I believe it also has its own housing for the ECU. Since neither of these changes are legal as part of the CAE allowance, I believe, you would have to have the JCW air intake system. Unfortunately, I can't check mine right now. I'm down here at the Cape. Our launch window to Pluto opens in less that three hours!

Quick Reply: STX (Street Touring X) 06 JCW MCS in STX?