STX (Street Touring X) 06 JCW MCS in STX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:39 AM
nygaard
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketspeed
Our launch window to Pluto opens in less that three hours!
9 years to get to Pluto - quite the trip. Taking the scenic route?

Old 01-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Rocketspeed
1st Gear
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
so why isn't a 15% pulley allowed into the stx class? If I installed a jcw pulley on my stock mcs with the jcw head would this be legal? I would think that a 15% pulley would be also?
Fair question. Unfortunately, the answer is 'no', the pulley is not legal. The reasoning is as follows. Allowing the pulley (supercharger ratio change) for the MCS would not create an overdog, However, we don't allow mods that only apply to a particular car. I think you can see that, if we did, things would get very complicated very quickly. So, what happens when some new supercharged car comes along where a pulley change would make it the car to have?

The allowance for the JCW kit is a very unique case where the dealer installed power package is identical to that that is now available as a factory option.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:56 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rocketspeed
The allowance for the JCW kit is a very unique case where the dealer installed power package is identical to that that is now available as a factory option.
Actually, at first glance, it does appear the same. But, the factory supplies the Brake Kit, the Dealer installed package does not include the brake kit. Which, brings me to my question of, if I have an 06 with a dealer installed kit, is that legal without the brakes? I would think so since there are 2 variances of JCW kits. One with brakes, one without. Also, tranny's are different in the 05-06 cars too. The SEB must have had an oversight on this one since they didn't realize there were some really important differences between the cars.

Craig Wilcox

Old 01-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
Brake upgrades are allowed in STX... The important part is the motor/supercharger work. It would be a problem if they allowed the early cars in B Stock

Old 01-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Rocketspeed
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OasisT
Actually, at first glance, it does appear the same. But, the factory supplies the Brake Kit, the Dealer installed package does not include the brake kit. Which, brings me to my question of, if I have an 06 with a dealer installed kit, is that legal without the brakes? I would think so since there are 2 variances of JCW kits. One with brakes, one without. Also, tranny's are different in the 05-06 cars too. The SEB must have had an oversight on this one since they didn't realize there were some really important differences between the cars.

Craig Wilcox
The STAC and the SEB are both aware of the details of the kit and factory option. Note in my response I said "power package is identical...". To the best of my knowledge you could run a '06 with the dealer installed JCW kit with the standard brakes in STX. As always, if you want to be absolutely sure, send a request for clarification to Doug Gill (solotech@scca.com).

Old 01-18-2006, 04:18 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motoring
Brake upgrades are allowed in STX...
However, brake "down"grades are not. So, i just want to be sure I'm legal with my 06 with standard MCS brakes.

The main issue for me is, I need to have the car compatible for STX and DSP duty as needed. There are events where I know we will have 6 entrants running at National Tours, DSP, STX and STXL. If I have to put the JCW brakes on, then I will, but, I'd rather run with the lighter MCS brakes since the JCW brakes are just a HEAVY addition to the un-sprung weight of the car IMO that may or may not provide better braking.

If DSP allowed larger brakes, I would just add some slightly larger brakes that are much lighter than stock, but, as far as I know, its still not allowed. Or is it? :-)

Old 01-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
Interesting challenge. And check the rules on running 6 drivers in the car... You may only be able to run the car in two classes.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:26 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motoring
Interesting challenge. And check the rules on running 6 drivers in the car... You may only be able to run the car in two classes.

Thats for Pro's only I believe. Were running 4 drivers at the Pros STX or DSP and STXL

Old 01-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
I just looked through the Solo supps and rules and didn't find it. Didn't check ProSolo.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Coopernicus
3rd Gear
Craig - This is a tough buncha questions, that probably only the STAC or Doug Gill would have the answers to. It would certainly be worth your time to contact them (and cause I want to hear their responses too! ).

Here's some other things you may want to get clarification on as well:

As we know, only the 2006 JCW car is now considered classable in B-Stock. All other year-model JCW's are still in ASP. So - how would STX rules handle the update/backdate of the JCW Tuning Kit Options Package (in part or in whole) onto a NON-2006 car given that stock doesn't allow it?

There are other requirements to qualify even a 2006 JCW for Stock class :

-1- The JCW brake kit is included in the factory 'JCW Tuning Package'. Can you DOWNgrade brakes from what the factory forces you to get within this single option package and be legal in STX?

-2- The LSD is included in the factory 'JCW Tuning Package'. Can you install the REST of the JCW kit, then install a Quaife INSTEAD of what the factory forces you to get within a single option package and be legal in STX?

-3- Since the JCW Intake INCLUDES an oval hole in the cowl wall, could you substitute an Alta (or other) intake in place of the JCW intake, but leave the JCW cowl wall hole and be legal in STX?

-4- Choosing the 2006 factory JCW package requires that you ALSO choose either the Sport or Checkmate packages, which include such items as DSC and Xenons. Could you install the JCW kit on a car that does NOT have either a complete Sport or Checkmate package installed and be legal in STX?

Old 01-18-2006, 10:34 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Coopernicus
-1- The JCW brake kit is included in the factory 'JCW Tuning Package'. Can you DOWNgrade brakes from what the factory forces you to get within this single option package and be legal in STX?

-2- The LSD is included in the factory 'JCW Tuning Package'. Can you install the REST of the JCW kit, then install a Quaife INSTEAD of what the factory forces you to get within a single option package and be legal in STX?

-3- Since the JCW Intake INCLUDES an oval hole in the cowl wall, could you substitute an Alta (or other) intake in place of the JCW intake, but leave the JCW cowl wall hole and be legal in STX?

-4- Choosing the 2006 factory JCW package requires that you ALSO choose either the Sport or Checkmate packages, which include such items as DSC and Xenons. Could you install the JCW kit on a car that does NOT have either a complete Sport or Checkmate package installed and be legal in STX?
1) I would think so, and, Andy Hollis said it was of his opinion that this would be legal since the exclusion list didn't have an end year for the JCW STX car before the February Fastrack. The Feb Fastrack said ALL dealer installed JCW kits are now STX legal, which, includes the 06.
2)Yes, definitely
3)I would certainly think so. They cannot force you to modify your factory cowl wall hole. My argument is, what do they want you to put in its place if its not OK?
4)I would guess so, but, need to get it clarified. It states ALL dealer installed kits are now STX legal. So, I think we are OK.

Craig

Old 01-19-2006, 02:53 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Below is my email correspondance with Doug Gill about the Dealer installed kit on an 06.....................................

Hi, Craig,

The bulletin reads, “1. Street Touring: The 2006 Mini S equipped with factory-installed John Cooper Works (JCW) option package is legal for STX. In addition, the dealer installed JCW packaged Mini S which was previously allowed only in supplemental class STU is now classed in STX.”

I see no MY (model year) restrictions to the dealer-installed JCW kit. It just says, “…the dealer installed JCW packaged Mini S…is now classed in STX.”

In the first sentence, 2006 applies to the factory-installed JCW option package.

It looks OK to me. However, official clarifications come from the SEB, not from me. I’ll be glad to send your e-mail to the SEB, but it looks pretty clear that dealer-installed doesn’t have a specific year restriction. If the SEB hadn’t allowed the factory-installed JCW cars into STX, then the dealer-installed JCW cars would still be in STU. Now, all dealer-installed JCW cars can be in STX because the factory-installed JCW cars are in STX, too.

Hope this helps.

- Doug

Doug Gill

SCCA Solo Technical Manager

P O Box 19400

Topeka, KS 66619-0400

1-800-770-2055

SCCA National Solo Rules - http://www.scca.com/Solo/Index.asp?IdS=019BFD-111E000&x=050|070&~=

FasTrack - http://www.scca.com/Garage/

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:41 PM
To: Doug Gill
Subject: Mini Cooper S with JCW package

Hello

I am writing in regards to the classing of the JCW kit on the Mini Cooper S. The dealer installed kit doesn't include the brakes. The factory installed kit does include the JCW brakes, which, are slightly larger.

I need some clarification. In fastrack, it states that any previously classed JCW MCS's in STU that have the dealer installed kit are now moved to STX. just want to clarify that my 2006, which, until the February Fastrack is legal with the dealer installed kit without the JCW brakes.

Thanks for your time

Craig Wilcox

06 MCS JCW w/o JCW brakes

Old 01-19-2006, 03:59 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Not all regions created equally

Sorry to say that in my region SCCA does not offer any
STU or STX class for autocross. Only STS which has a fair number of cars.

So if there is no STU or STX then what is the next class up for an 06+ JCW MCS with slight modifications? (not eligible for B-stock).

Old 01-19-2006, 04:07 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune

Sorry to say that in my region SCCA does not offer any
STU or STX class for autocross. Only STS which has a fair number of cars.

So if there is no STU or STX then what is the next class up for an 06+ JCW MCS with slight modifications? (not eligible for B-stock).
Man, they should, STX is a national class. If you have to step up to another class, DSP would be where you'd go and you could run some Kumho V710's there. If noone is there, go to SM.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:28 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Another issue has arisen for me, and, I know its been discussed earlier, but, logic for this question over-rides any previous ruling IMHO. It has to do with the JCW Intake.

Is the wall that has the actuated flap on it, thats part of the JCW Air Intake, is that considered part of the intake or not? I'm talking about the piece that mounts on the firewall thats included and sold as part of the JCW Air Intake.

I think it is part of the intake since its sold by Mini as a portion of the intake.

Andy Hollis says its not and said it had been ruled on. Do any of you guys know if the JCW Air Intake System had a ruling on it by the SEB?

It seems logical that if you order an Air Intake from the dealer, and, they give you the Air Intake which includes this wall, that it would be considered part of the Air Intake.

Or, am I mis-interpreting something?

Craig Wilcox

Old 01-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
There is a ruling on the wall (not part of the intake system)

The way it stands, I think the only way you could play with the wall is buy the JCW wall and install it, then remove the flap. but I couldn't figure out the brake thing, so take it for what you paid for it...

Old 01-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
I just read the thread on the other forum... I have a better understanding of the dilema. Write a letter... In the short term you aren't losing much power and the long term you have the official answer.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:58 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
  • Originally Posted by Motoring
    I just read the thread on the other forum... I have a better understanding of the dilema. Write a letter... In the short term you aren't losing much power and the long term you have the official answer.

Yeah, I wrote one with pics. But, it sounds like I probably won't win according to Hollis since he's on the Board and will probably fight it to the death it sounds like. I guess we'll see though.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:35 PM
rpob5t
2nd Gear
anyone know of any non dealer outlets were you can get the JCW head, supercharger and injectors (and preferably a better deal on them)? My local dealer, morristown mini, wants about $4500 for the jcw tuning kit, which if I have to I will bite the bullet on, since this seems to be the hot ticket for a competetive STX mini, I will but I am just curious if there are any other options out there.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Wiggles
4th Gear
If the wall (w/flap) is part of the JCW intake kit (all under the same part #) it should be legal in STX. I haven't seen a writen ruling against it anywhere. What I read, states that you can't modify any panels. You wouldn't be modifying anything, that's just the way it comes. The ruling has already been made IMO, the JCW package is legal in STX, and that panel is part of the package.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:34 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Wiggles
If the wall (w/flap) is part of the JCW intake kit (all under the same part #) it should be legal in STX. I haven't seen a writen ruling against it anywhere. What I read, states that you can't modify any panels. You wouldn't be modifying anything, that's just the way it comes. The ruling has already been made IMO, the JCW package is legal in STX, and that panel is part of the package.
I believe there is no question on this, provided you install the JCW power package as a "complete Package". You cannot install just the JCW partition wall in a regular MCS.

The main question has been: Can you substitute the JCW partition wall with an Alta type configuration or a "Webb Air Box Mod". We don't think you can. A ruling will come this season as I think Craig Wilcox is submitting info to the SEB on this.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:26 AM
Wiggles
4th Gear
O.K. I understand the question now.

I don't see how they can make that illegal, since it's part of the JCW package. I still say that you're not "modifying" any panels unless you remove the flap. Might be able to modify the panel since it is on the same part number as the intake. It will be interesting to see how they rule on that.

Question: Was the JCW intake a stand alone factory option on the '05+ MCS?

Old 01-26-2006, 06:09 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wiggles
Question: Was the JCW intake a stand alone factory option on the '05+ MCS?
I don't think so. It wasn't until very recently that any of the JCW equipment
could be installed at the factory. Until that time it was either DIY or have the
dealer install it.

EDIT: See this item on Gabe's site:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/07/..._06_model_year

Old 01-26-2006, 08:48 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by petecrosby
I don't think so. It wasn't until very recently that any of the JCW equipment
could be installed at the factory. Until that time it was either DIY or have the
dealer install it.

EDIT: See this item on Gabe's site:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/07/..._06_model_year
Definitely not. Heck, its not even a stand alone option now at the factory. Its an all JCW package or nothing. At the dealer though, you can purchase individual parts of the JCW(depending on the dealer).

Old 01-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Wiggles
4th Gear
I kept thinking that I saw it as an option when I was building my MCS at MINIUSA.COM, but my wife reminded me that it was at the dealer when I was considering it. They had a JCW intake in the showroom on display I thought about it, but wanted to stay in GS. If it was a stand alone I was going to add it to my GS MCS. Wishful thinking.

Good luck with SEB.