STX (Street Touring X) Thinking about going to STX!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:04 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about going to STX!

After realizing how much money I have spent in GS this season, I'm thinking to myself. Why not STX?? I have purchased 8 sets of tires so far this season, 3 sets of wheels, harness, exhaust, plugs, wires etc and its all added up to over $10K!!!!!!

Sure, I've won some contingency but thats probably all wiped out with travel expense this season.

So, my question is, would it be cheaper in the long run in STX? I think so and I'm pondering about jumping ship to STX next season. Heck, maybe this season and sell the SSR's, Hoosiers and Kumho V710's that I have in the garage waiting to be burned up.

I figure I could get around $4300 for all my wheels/tires that could apply towards one set of Keizer 15x8's($1300), Tires($400), lightweight seats($1200), lightweight battery($100), swaybars($200), camber plates($500), short shift(?), CAI($200), Cat Pipes($200) etc....

The above needed would be around $4000-4500 and I wouldn't be blowing any more money on tires unless I wanted. Hankook and Kumho still pay contingency I think so thats a bonus.

Would I need the Quaife or is the 05 LSD sufficient? My guess is the Quaife would be the way to go so I'd be a little over budget this season, but, it would all come back next season since I would only need one set of tires. Also, lightweight flywheel would probably be on the list as well. Also, suspension, I have Koni DA rears and SA fronts so would lowering springs work as well as Leda's or KW's?

So, any sponsors interested?

One thing is for sure, next season, I'm either going to only be at half the events that I am going to this season, or, I'll be in STX!!! Don't get me wrong, either way, the main thing I'll be doing is having the time of my life, but, what would be the most fun for the money and still compete nationally?!?!?

Keep in mind, I don't really drive this car much on the street so driveability isn't any issue since I have 2 other cars to drive on a daily basis.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
You are driving reallly well this year. Stay in GS through Nationals. Put a big For Sale sign on your wheels while you are there and make the jump next year.

I cannot figure out why more people aren't running STX in the MINI. Courtney has had great success, yet people are not showing up at nationals.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:43 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Keith

Thanks for the input, I think thats what I'll do. Courtney definitely had a great showing and his stellar performance is basically the reason that I decided to consider STX recently, and after considering, it seems like a no-brainer to me in the long run. And, if I ever have to urge to run R-compounds again, I'll just hop into DSP!!!

Craig

Old 06-08-2005, 07:40 PM
minifinn
4th Gear
Oasis T,
I came to the same conclusion. Although I am not running at the same level as you guys, I'm having a great time in STX. I just ran a Cendiv Series event in Peru last weekend and was well received by the small but friendly group of STX competitors. They were interested in my MCS and encouraged me to join them at the Nat Tour next week. Several people commented that they thought the Cooper S could do (and has done) well properly prepped. Andy Basham's BMW 330i was the only other non-WRX there.

I don't have LSD...... yet ('03) but I had suprisingly little wheel spin issues on the uber grippy Grissom concrete. I think the camber plates with the stiff competition rear bar minimized the inside wheel spin issue and maximized my grip.

The mechanical upgrades don't wear out nearly as fast as R comp tires on a G stocker

Good Luck,
Mark

Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 AM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OasisT
After realizing how much money I have spent in GS this season, I'm thinking to myself. Why not STX?? I have purchased 8 sets of tires so far this season, 3 sets of wheels, harness, exhaust, plugs, wires etc and its all added up to over $10K!!!!!!

Sure, I've won some contingency but thats probably all wiped out with travel expense this season.

So, my question is, would it be cheaper in the long run in STX? I think so and I'm pondering about jumping ship to STX next season. Heck, maybe this season and sell the SSR's, Hoosiers and Kumho V710's that I have in the garage waiting to be burned up.

I figure I could get around $4300 for all my wheels/tires that could apply towards one set of Keizer 15x8's($1300), Tires($400), lightweight seats($1200), lightweight battery($100), swaybars($200), camber plates($500), short shift(?), CAI($200), Cat Pipes($200) etc....

The above needed would be around $4000-4500 and I wouldn't be blowing any more money on tires unless I wanted. Hankook and Kumho still pay contingency I think so thats a bonus.

Would I need the Quaife or is the 05 LSD sufficient? My guess is the Quaife would be the way to go so I'd be a little over budget this season, but, it would all come back next season since I would only need one set of tires. Also, lightweight flywheel would probably be on the list as well. Also, suspension, I have Koni DA rears and SA fronts so would lowering springs work as well as Leda's or KW's?

So, any sponsors interested?

One thing is for sure, next season, I'm either going to only be at half the events that I am going to this season, or, I'll be in STX!!! Don't get me wrong, either way, the main thing I'll be doing is having the time of my life, but, what would be the most fun for the money and still compete nationally?!?!?

Keep in mind, I don't really drive this car much on the street so driveability isn't any issue since I have 2 other cars to drive on a daily basis.
If you are one of the people who thinks it's necessary to have new R compound tires for every national level event then STX will be cheaper in the long run because most, possibly all, of the STX tires will remain competitive at least a year if they are only used for autocrossing. Some STX tires are way less than the R's and others are in the same price range.

While I have not found it necessary to replace the plugs and wires I have 3 sets of 15x7.5 SSR's and one set of 16x8 Volk ce28n's with another on order. You never can tell who will offer the best tire and in what size, so my moto is to be prepared. I'd even consider getting a very light 17x8 if I could find one with the right offset. I have a Sparco EVO-2 drivers seat, which I really love, but it really doesn't save all that much weight, once you get all the mounting hardware in. If you are willing to put up with a set of Kirky's (sp) bolted to the floor then you could save some more weight, but I drive my MCS to and from the events and even have someone in a rear seat on occasion, something you wouldn't want or couldn't do with Kirky's or any seat bolted directly to the floor.

If cost is an issue I would give the factory LSD a try for the first year but my feeling is that the Quaife will be the better choice. I'd be interested in knowing how much you could sell the OEM LSD for as I'm considering getting a 2006 MCS for STX and wondering if it would be worhwhile to get it with the LSD, knowing I would just be pulling it out to sell it.

A light weight flywheel is not STX legal.

I wound not run Leda's. Converting your Koni's to coilovers would be a better choice and I wouldn't just run lowering springs. I feel the KW "Competition 2 Ways" are the way to go (what I have) but I would not recommend them for anyone who needed to drive their car when temps. are below 40 deg.

"Most fun for the money and still compete nationally" Convert your Koni's to coilovers, forget the quaife at least for now since you have the 05 LSD, forget the seats, get a rear swaybar, camber plates and be prepared to buy a set of rear control arms if the 2005 rear adj. camber range is not enough to correct for the camber gain you will get when you lower your car. Get a set of wide light wheels.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Gowest,

I appreciate your expert opinion on the STX mods, I was hoping you would give me some input.

As far as wheels. Since tires sizes in 15" are limited, would a 15x7 be at any disadvantage whatsoever considering there are no tires beyond 205/50/15 in the Hankook, Azenis or MX?

I appreciate any input on this, I found a set of Forged Aluminum 15x7's for $500 that are around 9.5-10 lbs but I definitely don't want to cut any corners on wheels. I suppose I could always convert these to rain wheels/tires after I get some more seat time in STX next season. Speaking of rain, what are the best options for rain wheel size and tires selection? Azenis 615's, Bridgestone S0-3, any others? I was thinking maybe the skinnier 16x6.5 SSR comps might actually be a good choice for rain.

Also, on 16x8 wheels, what kind of offset is required to fit properly? And, if you know, what about the offset on 15x8's(I assume the same)? If I'm going to throw down $1200+(which I expect to), I might as well order some Keizers if I go with a 15" set and 16's will probably be Kodiak unless Keizer develops their 16" line, which they indicated that they would sometime in the near future.

thanks again,

Craig

Old 06-09-2005, 02:19 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Gowest,

I appreciate your expert opinion on the STX mods, I was hoping you would give me some input.

As far as wheels. Since tires sizes in 15" are limited, would a 15x7 be at any disadvantage whatsoever considering there are no tires beyond 205/50/15 in the Hankook, Azenis or MX?

I appreciate any input on this, I found a set of Forged Aluminum 15x7's for $500 that are around 9.5-10 lbs but I definitely don't want to cut any corners on wheels. I suppose I could always convert these to rain wheels/tires after I get some more seat time in STX next season. Speaking of rain, what are the best options for rain wheel size and tires selection? Azenis 615's, Bridgestone S0-3, any others? I was thinking maybe the skinnier 16x6.5 SSR comps might actually be a good choice for rain.

Also, on 16x8 wheels, what kind of offset is required to fit properly?

thanks again,

Craig
I'm a little short on time right now but I'd say the 15x7's would be a disadvantage on any soft sidewall tire like the MX and from what I hear the Kook's as well. more later

Later,
Best rain tires for autocross now seem to be the Kook's unshaved, followed by the 215 Azenis also unshaved. The Yokohama Advan Neova is said to be great in the rain as well but it's not available in any MINI sizes this year. My rain tires are the full tread 215's on 15x7.5 SSR's, if it dries off between runs I don't have to change tires even if I had the time.

Offset on my 16x8's is +42, rim edge clears the strut by 2mm if I remember right and my 215/45/16 Azenis 215's clear by the same amount. I just found on KW Suspensions web site that they recommend a min. of 5mm clearance but mine works so it's staying like that. Another wheel with a thicker rim than the Forged Volk's may not work and less offset (the wheel further out) may cause problems with rear fender clearance. My 16" tires rub a little at my current alignment and ride height in hard down hill off camber turns or when the car is loaded down.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:23 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Thanks again for the reply,

There isn't any room for error on the 16's, so, I might wait until I get everything setup and get a test fitment before ordering 16x8's. Until then, I will just run the 15x7.5 SSR comps.

Ok, now on to seats...

I see the Sparco Evo2 seat is rated at 17.2lbs, not too bad without the brackets. BUT, Do you know if the 15lb limit includes the mounting bracket and track as well?

I assume it does, so, if I select an 8 lb seat(not that I could fit in one) and a 7 lb bracket/slider(just a estimate) for the drivers side and bolt the passengers seat directly to the floor I'd be around 32lbs total for both seats total. Not too shabby!

thanks!
Craig

Old 06-10-2005, 10:06 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Ok, now on to seats...

I see the Sparco Evo2 seat is rated at 17.2lbs, not too bad without the brackets. BUT, Do you know if the 15lb limit includes the mounting bracket and track as well?

I assume it does, so, if I select an 8 lb seat(not that I could fit in one) and a 7 lb bracket/slider(just a estimate) for the drivers side and bolt the passengers seat directly to the floor I'd be around 32lbs total for both seats total. Not too shabby!

thanks!
Craig
The seat alone, if I remember right is apx. 16 lbs. I posted all my seat info somewhere on this site or www.mini2.com And by the rules the seat and any permanently attached (as in welded or epoxied to) must weigh at least 15 lbs. The Sparco mounting bracket and slider weigh almost that much and then there is the custom steel part I had to have made to get the EVO2 to actually attach the seat to the slider. So, my driver's seat and hardware weigh apx. 35 lbs. THAT's ONE SEAT!

Just went back and checked my old post on this site, without the extra steel part I had made I'm at 33.5 lbs. At least the weight is lower in the car than the O.E. seats.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:57 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Wow, 33.5lbs for one seat! I would never have guessed the hardware would have been so heavy, but, there is no way around it for the drivers seat I suppose.

For the passengers seat, I'm going to get something just over 16lbs total to swap with my OEM seat for national events, that way, I can lose 35lbs on that side and 15 or so on the drivers side so I guess 50lbs total weight savings isn't too bad for the seats alone. Then there is 20-25lbs with the battery, that will put me at 2425, so I probably won't make it below 2400 I guess.

thanks again for the info

Craig

I guess the last weight saving's mods that could be done would be A/C and maybe Stereo(not sure about stereo system in STX)? I doubt I'll ever go that far though since I can't imagine not having A/C at the 100 degree events!

Originally Posted by gowest
The seat alone, if I remember right is apx. 16 lbs. I posted all my seat info somewhere on this site or www.mini2.com And by the rules the seat and any permanently attached (as in welded or epoxied to) must weigh at least 15 lbs. The Sparco mounting bracket and slider weigh almost that much and then there is the custom steel part I had to have made to get the EVO2 to actually attach the seat to the slider. So, my driver's seat and hardware weigh apx. 35 lbs. THAT's ONE SEAT!

Just went back and checked my old post on this site, without the extra steel part I had made I'm at 33.5 lbs. At least the weight is lower in the car than the O.E. seats.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:24 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motoring
You are driving reallly well this year. Stay in GS through Nationals. Put a big For Sale sign on your wheels while you are there and make the jump next year.

I cannot figure out why more people aren't running STX in the MINI. Courtney has had great success, yet people are not showing up at nationals.
The more I think, I will probably make the switch now. My racing budget has gone WAY over from buying all these R-compounds and such. Its not even that I have to buy new wheels and tires at every event because they cord before I throw them out. BUT, I have anywhere from 2-4 drivers per event in the Mini, and, when we are doing 30+ events/days this season, test and tunes and a drivers school, we'll probably have around 500+ runs in the Mini with 300 more runs to go!!!!

I think I'll be listing the following sometime this weekend in the Marketplace.

I'm both excited and yet disappointed, but, I'll have a co-drive in GS at the Prosolo hopefully. Who knows, maybe even nationals depending on how competitive I feel I am in STX.

(4) Sets of NEW Kumho V710's 215/40/16
(6) NEW Hoosier A3S04 205/45/16
(4) 12 run Hoosier A3S04 205/45/16
(2) sets of SSR comp 16x6.5 wheels(1 set with 40 run Hoosier A3S04)
Koni DA degassed rear shocks
Koni SA degassed front struts
22.5mm front swaybar oem mini bar (slightly smaller than the 24mm MCS)

So, if interested in these parts, they may be up for sale within hours depending on if I can commit myself to STX or not.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:44 PM
MattMan
Coordinator :: Minis Under the Arches (Oct 25-28)
[QUOTE=gowest]

If cost is an issue I would give the factory LSD a try for the first year but my feeling is that the Quaife will be the better choice. I'd be interested in knowing how much you could sell the OEM LSD for as I'm considering getting a 2006 MCS for STX and wondering if it would be worhwhile to get it with the LSD, knowing I would just be pulling it out to sell it.

[QUOTE]

If either of guys sell your OEM LSD, I would be very interested in taking off your hands, considering I just got into racing with my 05 MCS in GS and didn't order LSD.....still kicking myself!! So if you do make the jump to STX and you need to sell off some parts, please let me know. I want to stay in GS with all the advatages an 05 MCS can offer.

Thanks

Old 06-13-2005, 10:51 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
If I go to STX I will consider your offer. PM me with an offer and I'll let you know as soon as I make my decision within a couple days

Old 12-25-2005, 04:11 PM
STi_Rocky
Neutral
As I am new here, and don't own an MCS yet, I wonder why no one uses the 17" wheels/tires? On my current Sube STi, I love those Yok Advan AD07 tires, and there is not much to choose from below 17".

Also, the JCW from the factory (now in 06) is legal for STX. Would the LSD that comes in the JCW package be worth it? Or still go with the Quafe?