STX (Street Touring X) With no more STX, which class are you going with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 04:57 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
The Mini only really started getting shafted after cars that SCCA started to like came out.

IE: Fiesta ST moved down to HS so it can beat base Mini
R56 S moved from GS to DS so Focus ST can win
R56 S/F56 moved from STX to STU so BRZ/FRS can win
R56 S/F56 not eligible for STH so Fiesta/Focus ST can win

I've started running STH locally after checking with my main competitor. No plans to compete at national tours anymore. There won't be a Ft. Myers Match Tour or Pro Solo again and that's the max I'd want to travel nowadays. Screw SCCA and their black magic.
This is exactly my point of view as well.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:53 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
There's no conspiracy, SCCA is pretty predictable for the most part.

Current Street philosophy is to keep late model cars at the top of most classes, save for ES. Also, popular enthusiast cars get preferential treatment. Miata, Corvette, Camaro, Twins. Note that despite Miata being by far the most popular AX car, there's no good place for an NC gen car right now. Not every car gets to be competitive at all times.

R56s were decently popular, and were classed competitively in their day. Now, they are old and considered fairly unreliable cars. The F56 hasn't caught on with enthusiasts at all, but not like it's received the classing shaft - even the JCW was classed in DS with the r56. The R56S was DS competitive through 2018, though likely not 2019. Is the F56 JCW a better car that the R56S?

The R56 base IMO is a better car than the FiST in HS. At worst, there's parity.

STH is a brand new class trying to capture tuned Focus / GTI crowd. SCCAs position is that the Mini is way lighter & smaller than the cars they are targeting, thus too much performance potential.

The STX -> STU move I'll agree was a wrong decision. The R56 was not proven faster than the Twins, just different. But I guess they really had to protect those Twins.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:48 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Still have my stx jcw r53, but lately I run my track car in smf, any more track mods and it's in xp though. I still win local when I show up, only time the shitbox civics beat me is when it's below 40 and I can't get heat in at the tiny lot we run at often

Old 01-17-2020, 11:34 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd say the NB Miata is the one that doesn't have a place in an ST class. Though I somehow beat 4 ND drivers locally in a severaly underprepped NB

NC is close enough, I can easily get close or surpass drivers in an ND when borrowing a prepped NC.

I've just been asking competitors locally to run STH when I take the Mini. I'm always welcomed. No more big events for me.

The following users liked this post:
Minibeagle (08-25-2020)