STX (Street Touring X) Dstock to STX tire wear

Old 06-11-2016, 12:06 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Dstock to STX tire wear

I have some SERIOUS tire wear in Dstock anyone make the switch care to comment on tire wear once we can have lots of camber?

I only AX this car so I can go wild with camber if I make the move next year

Old 06-11-2016, 07:09 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Front camber will help tire wear however ... back in 2011 when I was autocrossing my 2006 MCS, the MCS was competitive in the stock class, but it was not competitive in STX. I haven't kept up with things since then so you may want to look into that if being competitive is important to you.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:08 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I did some searching, I think I need to stay in dstock a while longer and just budget for tires. I'll flip them on the wheels soon hopefully that adds a little shoulder life

Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 AM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
I did some searching, I think I need to stay in dstock a while longer and just budget for tires. I'll flip them on the wheels soon hopefully that adds a little shoulder life
I will be flipping my tires later today and going front to back and across to get the good rears on the front and the worn fronts to the rear.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:39 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
On the local level you may do fine in either D Street or STX class but it depends on how much competition there is.

If you aren't inclined to mod to the limit of the class then DS is simplier and just focus on one swaybar and tires.

With OEM front camber you can't make best use of the front tires so wear will be up to 100% faster than with -3 degrees front camber (use adjustable front camber plates).

However wear may depend on your driving style and track surface and layout. If you can use the same tire size front to rear then rotating tires can help with wear. After about 35-40% wear then flip the tires so that outer treads are on the inner side.

For DS the front tire outer treads should show the most wear. To help get the most out of the tires use a tire pyrometer (probe type) to check tire temperatures after the second run to see how adjusting air pressure helps even out tire wear.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:32 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by minihune
On the local level you may do fine in either D Street or STX class but it depends on how much competition there is.

If you aren't inclined to mod to the limit of the class then DS is simplier and just focus on one swaybar and tires.

With OEM front camber you can't make best use of the front tires so wear will be up to 100% faster than with -3 degrees front camber (use adjustable front camber plates).

However wear may depend on your driving style and track surface and layout. If you can use the same tire size front to rear then rotating tires can help with wear. After about 35-40% wear then flip the tires so that outer treads are on the inner side.

For DS the front tire outer treads should show the most wear. To help get the most out of the tires use a tire pyrometer (probe type) to check tire temperatures after the second run to see how adjusting air pressure helps even out tire wear.
​​​​​​This post is pretty old, I won the season in stx this year the tire wear is so much better i was able to get another season out of my re71 and the car is quicker by a good margin. Switching to smf this year but my focus is track setup not autocross now. The only car I had trouble with was a cheating wrx I was beating last year, next year stx will be easier all those turbos got moved to sth

Old 01-02-2018, 05:19 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
What type of tech inspections you have to go through? Any tear downs?

Old 01-02-2018, 05:40 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
there's no inspections, and protests are very rare at the nationals, local level I've never heard of one

Old 01-03-2018, 01:51 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
What type of tech inspections you have to go through? Any tear downs?
Tech inspection is not really looking for compliance in classing cars unless it is grossly wrong, then the driver can be referred to registration or others experienced in classing.

On the national level you need to follow the rulebook on what is allowed in each class. If it doesn't say you can do it then you can't.

On the local level rules may or may not be upheld depending on the level of competition. To be fair to everyone rules need to be consistent and applied across the classes. The exception is if you are not competitive and talk to the other drivers in your class you can come to an agreement that some mod isn't really legal but doesn't give you much of an advantage.

Protests happen both on the national and local level and the same ruleset applies as stated in the rulebook.

Each driver is responsible for being accurate in classing and knowing the rules as it applies. If you don't know then ask for help from chief of registration or tech inspection, usually they handle questions.

Bottomline is to be honest and open with drivers in your class or anyone that you are directly competing with such as in Rookie class with mixed class cars.

I have seen protests on the local level, it's a hassle and it's rare. Mostly we try to avoid it by being proactive or get the drivers of a class to talk it over before the event.