Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Door lock problems

Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM
wakewen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm. I would think that if the electrical lock worked with the remote then maybe the problem is with the inside switch. Fuse possibly.

I had to replace my lock actuator since I could only lock/unlock with the key. Switch and remote wouldn't open it. I think your problem will probably be something less costly.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM
indiR53
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wakewen
Hmm. I would think that if the electrical lock worked with the remote then maybe the problem is with the inside switch. Fuse possibly.

I had to replace my lock actuator since I could only lock/unlock with the key. Switch and remote wouldn't open it. I think your problem will probably be something less costly.
Thanks for the insight, door panel will be coming off tonight and we'll see what it looks like in there. Hoping it's just the cable sitting a little too loose

Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Sounds like the cable to me. Our R50 did this years ago and it was just a loose cable.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Ipsa
Neutral
My 2003 R50 has a similar problem that I could use help on. Neither the driver nor passenger door will unlock or lock with the fob or dash switch. The fob will unlock / lock the hatch still though, and it will also roll down the windows. I assume this is the actuators, but wanted to make sure before I spent 200+ in parts.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 AM
belyzel4
Neutral
Our passenger door lock wasn't working when we purchased our mini cooper, but something miraculous happened one day. My girlfriend didn't completely shut the door, so she pushed the door in rather than having me open it and shut the door correctly. When we got back to the car, the door would no longer open by pulling on the door handle inside the car. After numerous attempts to pull the door lock out, we decided to click unlock on the key and it worked! I don't know if we had a special problem, but maybe our incident will help someone else.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:37 AM
1st Gear
I just replaced the driver side actuator on my '04 S last weekend and three days later the passenger side quit unlocking. Nice timing!
The first time it wouldn't work I was rolling to a stop to pick someone up and I hit the switch as I was still moving. It hasn't unlocked since.
It might just be a coincidence but I'm thinking that just maybe the fact that it automatically stays locked whenever the car is moving and me hitting the unlock button at the same time and creating a short might have caused the failure and this is one of the reasons for the massive failure rate.
Anybody else experience anything similar?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:53 AM
lazabby
1st Gear
I've yet to read through this long thread but plan to. I've just ogtten an '04 Mini. The passenger door will lock at the press of the key for but will not unlock, even after pressing the unlock twice. It has to be manually unlocked. I hate to take it in to get fixed because of the expense. What is the likely culprit? Actuator? Cable? Are there instructions online somewhere that tells how to get the door panel off? Thanks.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 AM
mini merle
2nd Gear
Check out post #126 and #147.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:47 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Here is the parts for the driver side and the passenger side: And what to looks for, most likely its the lock itself. People either have the lock fail or if they can open the door from the inside handle the cable has snapped.

Here is a link for the door panel removal:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...l-removal.html

And here is the diagram and list, while you are there is good to look everything over.

Here is the door diagram for the Gen 1 MINI R50 R52 R53.

#1 in the diagram

Door Lock Unit - Left ( Driver Side )

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51200556768/

&

Door Lock Unit - Right ( Passenger Side )

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51200556769/

Also.

If you ever have the inside handle not work and everything else is find , good to check that connection in there while you are at it.

Here is #10 in the diagram that is the cable. Set between the lock and handle.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51217143538/

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 10-07-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:58 AM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lazabby
I've yet to read through this long thread but plan to. I've just ogtten an '04 Mini. The passenger door will lock at the press of the key for but will not unlock, even after pressing the unlock twice. It has to be manually unlocked. I hate to take it in to get fixed because of the expense. What is the likely culprit? Actuator? Cable? Are there instructions online somewhere that tells how to get the door panel off? Thanks.
Mine is identical, but driver's side. Seems like a common failure mode - it will lock but not unlock unless you use the key or doorhandle from the inside. I've tried everything short of opening the door and replacing the actuator to no avail. It's probably the actuator. There are good instructions both here and online, but it is not a job for the faint of heart. I have big hands and am not going to attempt it. Sorta waiting for another reason I have to get into the door.

- Mark

Old 10-13-2013, 12:15 AM
prettycoolchick
Neutral
hatchback lock problems

I have a 2009 mini cooper and I will be driving down the road and the hatch lock will pop open, or as soon as I lock it it will unlock itself

Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Hello Prettycoolchick - the 2009 MINI is a Gen 2, this is a Gen 1 forum. Post in the Gen 2 Stock problems / Issues and I can can try to help you, that way people will not get confused on the parts.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-15-2013, 04:24 PM
lazabby
1st Gear
I have an issue where the passenger door will not unlock with the key fob or button inside of car. It can only be unlocked by the pull of the door handle from inside. Everything works fine locking with the key but not unlocking. I hear and feel the actuator when it locks and attempts to unlock. You can feel it making noise like it's trying to unlock but nothing happens. How can this be fixed or does the actuator need to be replaced? Thanks.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:10 AM
MINItheONE
Neutral
I just went through the Agony of replacing the door lock mechanism in my 2001 MINI ONE and while it doesn't require special tools it was an absolute b****rd to do. Being thrifty (or cheap as my other half insists) I purchased a used lock which turned out to be a dud too grrrrr. Anyway just wanted to tell you that it is not easy. After removing the door card and reaching in the tight space to remove the cables connected to the lock, the bloody thing would not come out. Apparently when the assembled it, they mounted the lock and THEN they fit the door slider. This metal bar is in the way. I had to take a screw out from the bottom of the door, loosen that bar slightly and then sweating and swearing juuust managed to pull the door lock out scraping the inside of the door. Putting the new in was just as difficult but by then I knew it was possible. My advise is to check youtube, there is a guy who posted that procedure and make up your mind in case you want to have a go at it. My first attempt took me two hours but now I would do it in about one. It is quite fiddly mind you.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:23 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINItheONE
I just went through the Agony of replacing the door lock mechanism in my 2001 MINI ONE and while it doesn't require special tools it was an absolute b****rd to do.
Exactly why I'm living with having to use the key to get in the driver's side. The dealer wants $1K for the fix.

- Mark

Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
Exactly why I'm living with having to use the key to get in the driver's side. The dealer wants $1K for the fix.

- Mark
Where are you located? It's one of those things that's not nearly as bad the second time around, especially if you have small hands. In fact, my wife was the one who did the work required inside the door when we replaced ours a few years back. You should see if you can find a forum member near you to help!

Old 01-04-2014, 04:17 PM
MervCarr
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all, I have (I think) a big problem, and I have no idea how to proceed.

I took out the lock mechanism on the passenger side door, to try and find out why it wouldn't unlock with the remote (unlocked OK by pulling on the inside door handle). Couldn't really see anything obviously wrong, so thought I would put it back together for now. After battling my **** off to get the little fiddly cable on that is by the outside of the lock, (the one from the outside door handle) I saw the bowden cable had come adrift again (which was the problem in the first place I think, not sure). Getting close to dinner time so I thought, screw it, I will carry on tomorrow. Closed the door, and now it will not open at all. So now I have a door stuck closed, bowden cable not connected and I have no idea how to proceed.

Cursing didn't seem to help either! Comments, suggestions, or new curse words to try out would be hugely appreciated

Old 01-04-2014, 05:14 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
It is possible to get the inside door trim panel off with the door closed. You might damage a few of the mounting tabs though...I know because the same thing happened to me a few years ago!

At any rate, with that panel off, you'll be able to open the door. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:44 PM
MervCarr
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply, but the door panel is off already, I was just going to pack it in for the night and resume tomorrow. Door will not open, any suggestions how to "jimmy" it open? I can pull up on the "unlock" rod, it has no effect though.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:04 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Ah, well if that panel is off, you're in better shape than I thought. I think you'll have to reattach the cable, or reach in a pull the little tab that it attaches to to open the door.

It's been a while since I messed with these things, but I think number 3 in the picture is what you want to pull to open the door:

Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 PM
MervCarr
1st Gear
Nope, I did try and fiddle with that green thingie, pushed it up, which would normally unlock the door, had my wife try the handle on the outside while I had it pushed up, no dice

Old 01-04-2014, 07:49 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
The following users liked this post:
huskey (07-29-2018)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:51 PM
MervCarr
1st Gear
Ah, that looks promising, thanks a ton. I will tackle it again first thing in the morning (from tomorrow night it is going to be horribly cold here), got to get this done tomorrow or I will be working in a deep freeze (also known as a garage)

This was one of those things, at the moment I closed the door I realized it probably wasn't a good idea, too late she cried (and that was when the cursing really started ) no-one to be mad at except me. Hopefully I can get this nailed tomorrow.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM
MervCarr
1st Gear
Success!! Eventually got the %^$$&$* door open, I was able to get my finger onto the lock tang and pull enough to unlock the door, and than pulled on the outside handle release thing and the door popped open. This was after taking out the passenger seat (I did remember to disconnect the battery first and unclip all the little connectors), Went to Canadian Tire and bought a little inspection camera that hooks up to a laptop via USB, my thought was that I would be able to see what I was doing that way, that didn't really help either.

Anyways, now that I have got it out again, I can see what the mechanism is NOT doing. If I push down on the locking rod, the door locks, it also locks if I push the actuator manually (it was locking via remote before too), but if I move the actuator the other way, it doesn't do anything, just slides up the channel on the locking tang. Only way to unlock it is to pull on the locking tang (same as if you are pulling on the inside door handle), so it makes sense in a way, why the door isn't unlocking with the remote. When it was all connected I could hear the actuator moving, but it wasn't unlocking.
Does any of that make sense to you guys? Do I have to buy a new lock assembly, or can this be repaired?

The following users liked this post:
huskey (07-29-2018)
Old 01-05-2014, 01:33 PM
exocet
3rd Gear
The motor inside the actuator can be cleaned which fixes the actuator not unlocking... but it's fiddly making sure all the bits go back in the right placed... Attempt if you're feeling brave!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-Mini-Cooper-Electric-Door-Lock-Actuator-L/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door lock problems