Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Urgent!!:: Car Won't Start...Lights Don't Even Come On

Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Kelevra
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urgent!!:: Car Won't Start...Lights Don't Even Come On

I went outside this morning to move my Mini and it started up strong like she always does and after about 20 seconds she just shut off completely. All the gauges are frozen where they were, in the middle, and the car doesn't even crank. When I turn the key there's no noise and no lights at all. Please what is up with my baby?!?

I forgot to mention that I tried jump starting, but NOTHING.

Thanks in advance.

K

Old 04-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Kelevra
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kelevra
I went outside this morning to move my Mini and it started up strong like she always does and after about 20 seconds she just shut off completely. All the gauges are frozen where they were, in the middle, and the car doesn't even crank. When I turn the key there's no noise and no lights at all. Please what is up with my baby?!?

I forgot to mention that I tried jump starting, but NOTHING.

Thanks in advance.

K

80 views and no advice. Come on guys where's the advice? I have this thing blocked all my other cars in the driveway and have no clue what to do. Help a brotha out.

Thanks,

K

Old 04-03-2010, 01:27 PM
dragonwang
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the battery dead?

Old 04-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Kelevra
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dragonwang
Is the battery dead?

Not sure if it's dead or not. The green dot is visible on the battery and the car started and worked fine for the last two days. I did have a problem with it last week, when after I found out that the battery compartment was full of water after the storms that we had in New Jersey. I cleaned out the compartment and battery. After I reinstalled the battery the Mini started right up and has not given me any problems since then until now. I tried to jump start it from my Explorer, but nothing at all. BTW it's an '05 S Convertible with 105,000 miles. I think that the battery is original. Any ideas?

K

Last edited by Kelevra; 04-03-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
I have an 05 convertible with about 60K, second battery that I know about. Last time my battery died, I couldnt jump it either. Took out the battery and took it to an Advance Auto where they tested it and then recharged it for me. Took six or 8 hours to do the trickle charge there but it was free and the battery has been fine since (four months). I do keep an eye on it. I would try taking out the battery and having it tested at an auto store. Good Luck!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
when these batteries (OEM) are really dead they won't jump either. Been here twice....

If the battery is four years old or more, my guess is it is dead. They tend to go from working to not very very fast. You say you have any other cars .... take the suspect one out of the circuit and replace with anything as a temp using the jumpers and see if you can start it...

Old 04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would just replace the battery. It's your cheapest fix so I would start there.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Juiceman
4th Gear
Even with a bad battery somthing should work. Could be battery cables. My ford explorer did the same thing. I shook the battery cables and it started again. Found a bad connector on the negative battery cable.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
My car did some freaky stuff including not start when the positive cable on the battery was loose, even a little bit. Check that first.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Kelevra
1st Gear
Just put in a brand new battery and still nothing. The cables look fine, although the cables on the little side box in the battery compartment were a little rusty from the water that got in the battery compartment during the last rainstorm that we had in NJ, so I put some WD40 on them, but that was last week and the car started and ran well the entire last week until this incident. Not sure what else to do. Please help.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Did you clean the terminals with a wire brush? Also, check every little grounding block and strap you can find. There are some under the hood. There is a fat grounding cable attached to the car's frame near the passenger side of the engine compartment, toward the front, where the engine mount is. Make sure that is tight as well.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Kelevra
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Aeromax
Did you clean the terminals with a wire brush? Also, check every little grounding block and strap you can find. There are some under the hood. There is a fat grounding cable attached to the car's frame near the passenger side of the engine compartment, toward the front, where the engine mount is. Make sure that is tight as well.
This morning after I installed the new battery and checked all the little fuses in the car and under the hood, I also checked all the connections under the hood and all was where it should be. I haven't checked under the car itself yet. I should mention that the day before this power outage, while driving to work, I "hit" a loose piece of tire on the highway. The piece of tire went thru the front lower grille and dented the radiator a little. I didn't know this is what happened until I came to work. The Mini drove home fine after I took the tire piece and the problem started the following morning. Thanks,

K

Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
You may not like the answer, but it sounds to me like it might be time to take the car in and have it diagnosed. They may tell you the solution is something you can fix yourself. There may be some moisture somewhere in a key component not allowing the electrical system to work. A fuse or fusible link may be bad. Hard to say and if you dont have a manual, and the proper electrical diagnosis equipment you could potentially do more damage than good.

Opening the car wide may assist in allowing the car to dry out. Or placing a dehumidifier in the car to remove any moisture may help also.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Kelevra
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
You may not like the answer, but it sounds to me like it might be time to take the car in and have it diagnosed. They may tell you the solution is something you can fix yourself. There may be some moisture somewhere in a key component not allowing the electrical system to work. A fuse or fusible link may be bad. Hard to say and if you dont have a manual, and the proper electrical diagnosis equipment you could potentially do more damage than good.

Opening the car wide may assist in allowing the car to dry out. Or placing a dehumidifier in the car to remove any moisture may help also.
I'm not doubting you and sincerely appreciate your advice, but I don't think moisture is the problem. As I said after I pumped the water out of the battery box and reinstalled the old battery last week, the Mini started right up and drove great up until last weekend when it just shut down completely.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
pdflint
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Isn't there a pyrotechnic device that disconnects the battery in case of an accident? I think it's in the well next to the battery. If this got wet...

Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Kelevra
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pdflint
Isn't there a pyrotechnic device that disconnects the battery in case of an accident? I think it's in the well next to the battery. If this got wet...
"If this got wet.." What then? The car ran find after everything was dried out. Thanks,

K

Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
dragonwang
3rd Gear
I hate to say it, but I agree with ACEkraut11 that you should bring your car in to a MINI independent service shop in your area to have it diagnosed. Never go to the dealer, since they will rip you a new one. It looks like the problem is out of a typical DIYer hands now. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 AM
pdflint
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This was just a guess. When electrical devices get wet, corrosion can sometimes take a while to develop. That's why flood damaged cars end up getting totaled, replacing all of the wiring harnesses would be too expensive. In your case, it may just be a new pyrotechnic device or a new battery cable.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Kelevra
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pdflint
This was just a guess. When electrical devices get wet, corrosion can sometimes take a while to develop. That's why flood damaged cars end up getting totaled, replacing all of the wiring harnesses would be too expensive. In your case, it may just be a new pyrotechnic device or a new battery cable.
Can anyone recommend a good shop in North New Jersey? I spoke with Prestige Mini in Mahwah, NJ and the senior tech told me to clean the connectors on the pyrotechnic device and that's the only thing that he could think of.

Thanks,

K

Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I too agree that corrosion can take a while to develop. Stuff doesn't just rust overnight. I just think it *has* to be related to the standing water, if nothing else has really happened since then.

Agree about checking/sanding down the ground straps - this was a source of major headache last year. Once the passenger side ground strap in the engine bay was replaced, the problem was solved.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Kelevra
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MLPearson79
Agree about checking/sanding down the ground straps - this was a source of major headache last year. Once the passenger side ground strap in the engine bay was replaced, the problem was solved.

Guys,

thanks for all the advice. Problem solved last night by my electrical engineer neighbor . Turns out that one of the harness cables that runs from the battery to the little junction box next to the battery was so corroded that it wasn't sending a current to the car. As soon as he cleaned it a bit the lights lit up like usual. He's going to help me change the rusted cable sometime this week, so this will only cost me a cold six pack and a Macanudo .

Thanks again,

K

Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out.

Will keep this one in mind should another person bring it up later.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Docsigns
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a similar problem and I am hoping this is the same issue. If you have any advise please give me a heads up.

docsigns

Old 11-30-2018, 07:19 PM
Docsigns
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

5E14, 5E15, 5E16 OK now what??????
My Mini will power up when the key is turned to position 1 just before cranking, then all electrical power is loss when I attempt to start the car. The battery is new, I attempted to Jump Start and nothing. The ignition switch has been changed. No other trouble codes. The power doesn't return until the battery is either disconnected and reconnected. Or randomly returns with the key out of the ignition.

docsigns

Old 12-03-2018, 12:20 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Did you check the starter: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-no-crank.html

Check that cable between the solenoid and the starter motor. Also the ground strap near the passenger side motor mount. Check the cable that runs from the alt to the starter and the whole system.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Urgent!!:: Car Won't Start...Lights Don't Even Come On