North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   strange beep when accelerating from stop (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/89364-strange-beep-when-accelerating-from-stop.html)

meng 01-15-2007 11:20 AM

strange beep when accelerating from stop

Here is a strange noise that I have never heard before in any car I have owned or driven and was wondering if anyone have any info. From stop, as I start to accelerate in first gear, i get a faint "beep, beep, beep" seemingly from under or behind the car. If I slow down and gas it real quick it makes the same noise. Same noise when i reverse from a stop. No noise any other time. Now the noise is as I described: a faint beep. At first, I thought cars behind me was giving me a light beep on the horn to tell me to go until I realized I was getting this noise almost every time. My exhaust is loose and needs to be welded/ tightened up but its strange because it only happens in 1st gear. Strange...

agranger 01-15-2007 11:27 AM

Is the interval between the 'beeps' the same at different engine speeds (RPM)? Does it vary with ground speed (MPH)?

I've heard of some clutch 'pinging' or 'tapping' sounds... never a beep before.

I can't wait to hear the rest of this story...

meng 01-15-2007 11:34 AM

its not tapping and the sound doesn't correlate with engine speed as you indicated. It is a quick two or three beeps upon lift off. The strange thing is that if I am going real slow like under 5mph, no beep but once i go alittle faster i get it.

07PepperS 01-15-2007 11:43 AM

has the temp outside dropped to 37 or cooler? if so, its telling you to keep a lookout for ice.

Foxtrot_Xray 01-15-2007 01:48 PM

It's an explosive device. Once you hear the beeps, if you drop under 60MPH, you'll go 'boom'.

Seriously, I have no clue. Beeps from outside?

Me.

agranger 01-15-2007 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by 07PepperS (Post 1320127)
has the temp outside dropped to 37 or cooler? if so, its telling you to keep a lookout for ice.

That's a possibility. When you hear the beeps, look down at the tach. If you see the exterior temp flashing, the MINI is warning you that it's cold outside and there might be ice.

It sounds like this happens with every launch, so that's probably not it, though. My ice warning only happens once for every start/stop cycle of the car.

daleCarlsbad 01-16-2007 02:43 AM

Call the Dealer..................and let us know what they say. thanks:)

meng 01-16-2007 02:48 PM

weather has been great so no ice. What is a clutch pinging and when would that happen?

herbie hind 01-16-2007 05:12 PM

maybe it's a ding ;and not even close to a beep. if you've got in inner ear dissorder or an infection it could very well be a ping or ding . if so i'd look at the heat sheilds or exhaust straps to be sure nothings dinging. they act up mostly from a stop .

stevecars60 01-17-2007 07:22 AM

Do you have an OE navigation system?
If so, there is a speed warning, sounds like a "fasten seat belt" on an airline. You would find this in the setup menue. The default is 1 - 5 mph.

Brian Fitzpatrick 12-18-2020 11:55 AM

my 2002 330ci does the same thing

Did you ever get a cause to this, my car does the same thing and only in `1st gear and only under 10 mph...