Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help, My oil looks like greasy mustard mucus (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:09 AM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My OCC was installed by Randy Webb. How should I route the tubing such that this doesnt occur anymore? Diagrams needed....thx.

ps..my car hasn't exploded (seized up) yet

Old 01-09-2008, 06:26 AM
lou
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCOTT

I agree with Scott...come warmer weather there will be no issues at all!!!! Do not panic unless you are losing coolant which you can watch very closely. It is a fault of the catch can install I am sure. Question of routing continues and I believe is the ONLY explanation.
Scott ...you say above the throttle body for the line routing from the filler hose...do you mean toward the engine or towards the air filter when you say ABOVE. Sorry, I don't have custody of the MINI now and am trying to go on recall.
Being in same climate zone if you could review your routing that would be great for many with this problem. Myself, I am taking the OCC off the car and would appreciate any information. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
I will post a pic of my install this evening when I get home.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:41 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Ok,

Here is a pic and my attempt at diagraming my OCC install.

The red lines go from the driver side low vacuum connection to the Alta can and then to the intake hose connection just above the throttle body.

The black hoses go from the high vacuum connection to my metal ebay can then down to the grey line under the IC.

This way I have both sides covered. You could also run both lines to a single metal can, I added the metal can after getting the Alta.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:23 AM
COOUUPER S
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey peeps , I kinda found out that I have this problem as well

The funny thing is , the yellow mustard liquid only shows up sometimes. On really hot days after driving the car for 20 mins it does not show. However , on colder days and as much as the car is driven , the yellow/brownish liquid appears. I was told by my dealer at 38k that I have somesort of a seal leaking in my tranny and to come back and get it fixed prior to 50k. Can the tranny leaking oil into the coolant or the motor oil someway and cause this ? Sorry for the big pictures but any help would be appreciated. I did read all the posts but I am just curious why this only happens on colder days and would like to see your opinion as well. Also , having a 06 with 45k does show I drive the car hard and long. I have a temp gauge and the oil is faily at working temps. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by COOUUPER S; 01-20-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:35 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Same problem as stated above........moisture buildup during cold days w/o getting car hot.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:39 AM
COOUUPER S
6th Gear
This picture was taken after a long and hard drive ( an hour and half ) around the pacific coast highway hills. The weather was around 45 degrees but my oil temperature was around 15degree below normal.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:25 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
What oil temp gauge are you using?
What is a "normal" oil temp?
Do you have an OCC and how is it installed?
Have you checked for a coolant/head gasket leak

Old 01-20-2008, 02:37 PM
COOUUPER S
6th Gear
I have the chrono package and my oil temps are around 185-195 degrees. I also have the 180degree m7 thermostat. I haven not checked with a pressure gauge but my coolant is not low. The occ is installed with the gray hose capped off one one coming from the valve cover and the intake hose.

The picture was taken yesterday when the car was shut off and it was around 45 degrees. This morning without turning the car on , the yellow was gone.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:41 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
The problem is the grey tube capped off. You need to run this thru the OCC or go back to stock routing of the hose.

See my diagram above.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:56 PM
COOUUPER S
6th Gear
It took me an hour of driving to get the yellow to dissapear. I think I will swap the m7 thermostat to the stock one tom and c what happends. The weather is cold so if that does the trick I will just end up putting it back in summer.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
The problem is the grey tube capped off. You need to run this thru the OCC or go back to stock routing of the hose.

See my diagram above.
+1

Originally Posted by COOUUPER S
It took me an hour of driving to get the yellow to dissapear. I think I will swap the m7 thermostat to the stock one tom and c what happends. The weather is cold so if that does the trick I will just end up putting it back in summer.
You have the gray pcv hose blocked off which is the cause of the excess moisture build up.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:02 PM
COOUUPER S
6th Gear
Thank you very much MiniStupidfun, even though I know it was said already by other people but after pming me and telling me a bit of details I went ahead and changed the hose routing the way ( Polizei ) did it and it all went back to normal. Checked the oil even right after a cold start and no more mustardish liquid. Thanks a bunch.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
And what am I.............................chopped liver?

j/k

Glad you got it figured out !

Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 AM
redlinedave
2nd Gear
your head gasket is gone.if you continue to drive with oil like that
you will need a engine re build.That strawberry milkshake in your engine will
burn out your engine bearings because of the lack of lubrication.
get your car into the shop pronto.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:59 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by redlinedave
your head gasket is gone.if you continue to drive with oil like that
you will need a engine re build.That strawberry milkshake in your engine will
burn out your engine bearings because of the lack of lubrication.
get your car into the shop pronto.

Did you even read the whole thread.............

It was an OCC installation problem.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:10 PM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 01-27-2008, 02:39 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, I started this thread and I have the OCC installed by the infamous Randy Webb. So did he $%&* up the install? Is this a phenomenon of vehicles w/ the OCC in colder climates?

I have studied the diagram posted by Scottinbend and read every post. I still can't figure out how to change my hosing w/ the OCC to eliminate the problem. I'm tempted to just have the thing pulled and go back to stock.

Anyone want to spoon feed my some directions?

BTW. When the problem was first noted I did take my car to MINI and everything was pressure tested. No gasket leaks, no mixing of coolant in the oil, no impending "nuclear meltdown"...etc... and that it was simply a problem of short short drives in cold weather.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:57 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
If you have the Alta OCC you will need to get something to place inside the can to stiifen it up so it can withstand the high vacuum. Alta will supply you with a section of pipe that fits inside.

You want to route the can as in this diagram.

You connect both vents to the hose going to the OCC and then take the output from the OCC to the grey line under the IC. You should then cap off the intake hose connection or filter it in some way.

Or just get another can like I did and have both lines with an OCC.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 AM
miniturtle
1st Gear
What if there does appear to be coolant loss?

Does that indicate a bigger problem?

Originally Posted by Greatbear
Another common cause of this problem is a malfunctioning PCV system. If there is no coolant loss (overflow bottle full and radiator full), this is usually the next cause. The normal moisture content in blow-by gasses needs to be cleared from the crankcase or the mustard foam occurs. Also, this will become an issue if one has installed an oil catch can and blocked off the PCV line (the gray plastic hose). Reconnect and re-route the PCV vacuum line through the oil catch can to prevent this.

The reformulated gasolines with ethanol seem to have more water content.

Take the car for a nice long run to heat everything up, change the oil and filter and continue to keep tabs on the crankcase. This oily muck can eventually become a non-moving sludge that can cause damage.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:53 AM
miniturtle
1st Gear
How do I get rid of the OCC if that's what's causing the problem ...

I just bought this car ... haven't even made my first payment Now I'm looking at possible blown head gaskets and My motor is not the only one that feels like throwing up ... if the OCC is causing the problem, maybe I should just get rid of the thing. Can anyone help me?

Originally Posted by lou
This condition is nothing new to the R-53 Supercharged engine with an OCC especially if the gray line for the PVC valve is blocked according to Alta directions of years back. It has led me to take drastic measures and remove the darn thing ( OCC ). It is just a water vapor collector in the winter months with short drives.
Question: I know the original lines connect from the gray line to the pvc valve with a factory 90 bend hose. Where do you plumb the oil fill hose side to on an Alta CAI system ??
Looking to do this after draining the can for the third time this winter.
Thanks.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:08 AM
miniturtle
1st Gear
sorry to be such a pain

Any way to tell between the 2. How do I know if my gasket is blown, or I'm just having condensation issues?

Originally Posted by JustGo4It_
Looks like water in the oil....Blown head gasket?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:28 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniturtle
I just bought this car ... haven't even made my first payment Now I'm looking at possible blown head gaskets and My motor is not the only one that feels like throwing up ... if the OCC is causing the problem, maybe I should just get rid of the thing. Can anyone help me?
yes, get rid of the OCC!!!.....There are many threads on here about OCC's screwing things up!...everything from the cans collapsing and hoses pinching to blowing the valve covers apart. The manufacturer supplied directions seem to be wrong by many accounts.....etc. If you ask me I dont think anyone knows what the hell they are doing with the OCC's and the benefits are negligible....but dont just take my word for it .....just read the dozens of threads about them and decide for yourself whether anyone has a clue when it comes to OCC's

Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniturtle
Do you actually have an OCC?

How is it routed?

And yes the OCC does work if installed correctly.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 AM
miniturtle
1st Gear
yes

I have the M7 ... no idea if it's routed correctly ... maybe I'll try to get some pics up here. All I know for sure is I have lots of yellow goop on oil cap, and some on dipstick.

Quick Reply: Help, My oil looks like greasy mustard mucus (pictures)