Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Anyone had THIS issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:05 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone had THIS issue?

Ok 03 MCS here
Yesterday it started with my inside door handle not unlocking the door with the first pull, making me use the toggle switch. Now I have to pull the handle 4 or 5 times before it catches and opens the door at all.

Works fine from the outside of course. I'm trying to schedule service but hopefully it doesn't continue to get worse to the point where I can't get out of my car =O

Off chance that it's something I can fix by taking off the door panel??

Old 10-11-2006, 01:09 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure about your case, but there have been some issues w/ door release cables. That generally had to do w/ water infiltration and freezing, though. Symptoms do sound similar.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:15 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
From Florida, so doubt it's freezing... could be water. Hmm.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:19 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buddy lee
could be water. Hmm.
Right...maybe some other folks will chime in. Door-release cables were replaced in the case I mentioned earlier...there may be a service bulletin on it, not sure.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:28 PM
drewffff
2nd Gear
My doors wouldn't lock by key nor switch, only by autolock going 10mph. Turned car off. Later turned car on and doors worked. These cars have gremlins.

drewffff

Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
The door locks, it's the inside handle that is busted. Hope it doesn't get worse before I can get it in there.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:30 PM
mozzarella
Banned
Had the same problem had it fixed at the dealer, they said it was a problem they had seen before.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:43 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by roach
Had the same problem had it fixed at the dealer, they said it was a problem they had seen before.
Did yours eventually stop working completely, or did you get it to the dealer so fast you don't know?

Old 10-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
I have had this issue-twice-with the drivers door. In my case, I would try to open the door from inside and nothing would happen. I would open the door, and it just didn't feel right when I pulled the handle, then the next time, it wouldn't work at all.

This is a known issue, and both times only took about an hour to fix. The problem involves the bowden cable in the door and was fixed by replacing the cable if I remember correctly.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:00 PM
trentf
2nd Gear
Had this problem with my 02MC last year and was repaired under warrenty. No mention of what was replaced, but the SA did say it was fairly common. The problem has come back (of course no more warrenty) so I have just conditioned myself to unlock my doors with the toggle before opening the driver's door.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:35 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is a fairly common problem that we see in the shop weekly.
the problem is the cable that connects the handle to the lock actuator. the cable pops out of the actuator and it doesn't have enough tension to unlock it.

the good thing is that it's easy fix. heres how:
pull of door panel.

remove the pin that moves up/down when you use the lock. the way you remove it is by feeling inside the door where it meets the actuator and poping it off. thats it.

look towards the actuator or feel with your hand for the cable that comes from the door handle. there is a green clip around the cable that goes into the actuator. you will have to pull the cable towards the front of the car and then push it into place in the actuator. that's all. if you want you can place a lil' bit of glue to keep it in place if it's not under warranty.

good luck!

Old 10-12-2006, 03:40 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Ok good news/bad news

I got the cable back in place

However, when the door lock rod came out of the door it just kind of fell out and now I have no idea where it goes =O

Any help? It's getting dark... =(

Old 10-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok good news/bad news

However, when the door lock rod came out of the door it just kind of fell out and now I have no idea where it goes =O

Check alldata.com the TSB onthis came with pictures!!

I had this happen to my MINI several times eventually my tech got tired of fixing it and just replaced all the inarrds of my door.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:25 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Old 10-12-2006, 04:37 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
Check alldata.com the TSB onthis came with pictures!!

I had this happen to my MINI several times eventually my tech got tired of fixing it and just replaced all the inarrds of my door.
No idea how to navigate that site =(

Originally Posted by th3118
Thanks but that picture is s m a l l

Old 10-13-2006, 05:40 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Ok 03 MCS here
Yesterday it started with my inside door handle not unlocking the door with the first pull, making me use the toggle switch. Now I have to pull the handle 4 or 5 times before it catches and opens the door at all.

Works fine from the outside of course. I'm trying to schedule service but hopefully it doesn't continue to get worse to the point where I can't get out of my car =O

Off chance that it's something I can fix by taking off the door panel??
there is a mini bulliten on this issue mine were replaced under warranty. they were very bad in winter; had to get out on passenger side. at first they shined me on till i told them i knew they changed the handles . they then swapped them for the new ones.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:47 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
The door locks, it's the inside handle that is busted. Hope it doesn't get worse before I can get it in there.
there's a switch that doesn't make up i think. they actually changed my whole handle (outside) assembly guess water gets in there. in your case it could be rusted up by now.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:37 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
theres a green circular clip on the actuator the rod clips in there, thats it.
then you have to slide it back when installing the door panel.

you can feel for the clip, or take a small flashlight and look inside the door. good luck!

Ok good news/bad news

Old 10-14-2006, 07:11 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joey1320
theres a green circular clip on the actuator the rod clips in there, thats it.
then you have to slide it back when installing the door panel.

you can feel for the clip, or take a small flashlight and look inside the door. good luck!
Yes joey got that thank you. From what I've heard, there's a plastic piece on the cable that clips into a u-shaped groove by the green clip. What I don't know is where this groove is in relation to the green clip. If you could help me with that, I think I'll be ok.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:31 PM
jcamayd
Neutral
Help! I tried to fix this but the bowden cable came off whatever it was attached to inside the dooe. Can anyone tell me where it goes?

Old 04-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear
What if you have to pull on the handle twice before the door will unlock? Does this have somethint to do with the key fob programming?

Old 04-18-2007, 02:29 PM
FlyingSmiley
2nd Gear
I think I Jinxed myself. I read through this thread last night, spent several hours (at work ) cleaning the MINI. When I got home. The door STOPPED UNLOCKING !!! Guess the panel is comming off tomorrow to put it back together

Old 04-19-2007, 03:34 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
this happened to me on a day that wasnt going to well for me. i pulled the inside door handle right off. after warranty of course

Old 04-24-2007, 10:30 PM
FlyingSmiley
2nd Gear
OK so it took me a little longer to get the time to try to fix the problem than I thought. Started working on it yesterday. Took the door panels off and everything seems to be in the right place. The Bowden cable is still pulling on the lock mechanism but not enough to fully unlock. Also having the problem that the handle doesnt seem to release the latch when it is unlocked with the toggle. I have to pull a couple of times and push on the rear part of the door to get out.

Any of you that have had this problem, did just replacing the cable fix it?

Might the problem be a streched cable or something similar, or would it be easier to replace the entire assembly?

There is a dealer close that I can order parts from but I dont want to have to take it in to get something fixed that seems so simple. Any other input on what actually fixed the problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Smiley

Last edited by FlyingSmiley; 04-24-2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: I cant spell
Old 09-27-2007, 07:46 AM
britania
1st Gear
I just got my car back from a non MINI dealership and it had this problem! Of course I would not have noticed it till I got home and tried to exit the car. My question is could some gorilla at the dealership have caused the cable to pop out if they were pulling on the handle not knowing that it takes two pulls to open the door?

Quick Reply: Anyone had THIS issue?