Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by GoThingNC
That's it - you beat me to it.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Zero G
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '05 S with some major rust problems (rust coming through bottom of the driver door and driver side taillight and quarter panel). They denied the claim saying I had to specifically request a corrosion check when I brought it in for service. The dealer has been no help. Anybody else getting this BS from them?? Anyone take it any further (BBB, lawyer)?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:42 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Zero G
I have an '05 S with some major rust problems (rust coming through bottom of the driver door and driver side taillight and quarter panel). They denied the claim saying I had to specifically request a corrosion check when I brought it in for service. The dealer has been no help. Anybody else getting this BS from them?? Anyone take it any further (BBB, lawyer)?
Have you tried calling MINI USA yet? I think that would be the first step. I think the number is 866-ASK-MINI. This obviously should be covered under that rust warranty.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Zero G
Neutral
Originally Posted by gknorr
Have you tried calling MINI USA yet? I think that would be the first step. I think the number is 866-ASK-MINI. This obviously should be covered under that rust warranty.
Yeah that's who I was on the phone with (forgot to mention that in the last post). They are the one's telling me all this.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Yoda Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
Claiming ignorance of an issue is a classic dealership technique. You can point him in the direction of this thread, or have him call his regional boss. Dealers have been repairing this for several years at this point. Or you can contact MINI USA yourself and try to get clearance for the repair. Your 05 model is included in the extended 12 year rust warranty, so you're good til 2017.
Originally Posted by gknorr
There's an official BMW/MINI service bulletin on it that I ran across on the web a while back. Includes repair steps. Wish I had a link to it - you could print it out and lay it on the advisor's desk!

If I find it again, I'll post it here.
Originally Posted by cristo
I would reply that since it's so unusual, then certainly it shouldn't have happened and of course they should fix it without question or cost.
Originally Posted by GoThingNC
Hey not sure why I never saw all these replies until today. Thanks.
I'm going to post a link to this thread on their FB page and if that doesn't work walk in with the TSB.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I had my pass door replaced under warranty due to rust, it hadn't perforated yet, but it was probably on it's way there, and probably why the replaced it.

If your car is under the rust warranty, take it in, even if it's not, take it in.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:32 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SuprCoop
If your car is under the rust warranty, take it in, even if it's not, take it in.
I wish they would cover the early years too, but I doubt they'll do anything if I take mine in. '03s only had a 6 year rust warranty...

My passenger door is definitely rusting from the inside out. I coated the inside with por15 last year which I'm hoping will prolong it's life by a decade or so...

Old 09-30-2012, 01:28 PM
sprint1126
1st Gear
saw some rust under the door seal and i also have water leak coming in the car wondering if seal is bad. will take it in to have it check wed.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:57 AM
sprint1126
1st Gear
took the mini in and they are gonna do the rust repair this week. they said they would replace carpet if they find anything under it.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Ryan Haugh
1st Gear
Hey guys! I stumbled upon this thread and am having issues with the driver side of my 03' MCS having a drenched floor mat. I just bought the car used about a month ago from the owner who kept it garaged so he never noticed this but I'm guessing there may be rust just like you've discovered. However, my question is where is the water coming from, and can anyone tell me where to start or where to take it? I noticed my windshield is a replacement because it has the PPG logo instead of the Mini OEM logo. So either my leak is from a poorly installed windshield or maybe it's coming from the same place yours is? Help!

- RH

Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Milkybar
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Taillights rust

Don't know how many peeps have this issue, but worth taking out the tail lights to examine. Will keep you posted regards the repair, not looking forward to visit the body man.

Attached Thumbnails Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs-minidriverside.jpg   Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs-minihousing.jpg   Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs-minipassengertailight.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 AM
nathanrw
1st Gear
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S and I found a tiny little bit of rust on the right side of my hood (as if you're sitting in the car) right where the hood meets the bumper when the hood is closed. It's between the right headlight and the grille on the edge of the hood. Would this 12 year warranty cover that or is it just the door sill rust?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Marquette MINI
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Milkybar
Don't know how many peeps have this issue, but worth taking out the tail lights to examine. Will keep you posted regards the repair, not looking forward to visit the body man.
I've got paint bubbling in that same area on my 2006 MCS. Just below the tail lights on both sides. I made an appointment to have the car checked out at the dealer on Monday for this. In researching this issue I came across this thread - will have to look for the door sill rust tonight!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm starting to see a bit of door seal rust now after 10 years of the car driving in Minnesota and New York's salty winters. however it's nothing compared to the rust forming on my drivers door.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Ryan Haugh
1st Gear
Hey I know this post is old. I'm dealing with the same issue and I can't remember if the weather strip lip (on the inner side) lays over the plastic interior molding or if you have to insert it into the molding. ANyone got a quick answer to this?

Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The rubber lip lays on top of the plastic interior molding on my car, and my sister's '06.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Ryan Haugh
1st Gear
Thanks, akindimini!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Gord
1st Gear
Glad this old thread has been revived.

Just bought an 06 Cooper with 100,000 miles, showing a tiny amount of rust on the door sills, haven't found any rust anywhere else. Car is really clean, bought from the original owner.

Gonna keep it FOREVER.

So, I haven't read all of this thread so please forgive me if the answer is here somewhere.

I've had good luck on other cars with 'Krown' rustproofing, it's one of those oily/waxy treatments they spray inside all the panels and doors.

Bit messy but it has worked well for me in the past.

Is there any MINI particular reason NOT to use this approach to making our MINI last forever ?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
My opinion - planned obsolescence. Make it last long enough so that it won't rot out for the original owner. Seems most people keep their cars 6-8 years, then move on.

People who tend to keep vehicles forever (or at least, until the wheels fall off) are a dying breed.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Gord
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
My opinion - planned obsolescence. Make it last long enough so that it won't rot out for the original owner. Seems most people keep their cars 6-8 years, then move on.

People who tend to keep vehicles forever (or at least, until the wheels fall off) are a dying breed.
But do they use commercial rustproofing ? ?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Nearly every vehicle I've owned has been rustproofed (or undercoated). It's a must in the climate I live in. I was a bit hesitant on getting the MINI rustproofed due to concerns about voiding the 10yr/unlimited mileage corrosion warranty. So far, so good - not a speck of rust anywhere, even under the door sill area, inside the door cavities, and underneath the wheel well plastic panels. I am pretty **** about keeping areas w/ the potential for dirt/salt build-up clear of debris, though.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 AM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
The area that rusted on my car was not an external part, it was literally where the outer door skin was welded/mated to the inner door skin. They treat all the parts, and when they took it all apart, they saw what looked like glove/finger prints where the assembler had smudged the rust proofing, then assembled it. That's how rust happened on my car.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
SuprCoop - was the rust covered under warranty?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
Mine was, yes, but I have an '05 with the extended coverage. Mine also happened on the door itself, not the sill. But rust is rust.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 PM
stevendoll
2nd Gear
I have been meaning to write this up as my solution to this problem. My Mini is a '03, so when I found my rust, I was out of warranty. From my standpoint, as long as the rust is stopped, I am ok with it being there, since I dont look under my door seals much. This fix takes about 30 minutes. Get ISC Helicopter tape from www.findtape.com in the 2 inch X 12 foot roll (while you are at it, get some felt tape to attack all the rattles in your car). If you follow the pics, you will see what the result is. You first put the tape on the top edge then bend it over the seam- starting at the apex of the bend (after you have sanded and rust-stopped the metal). This tape also worked for sealing the seam at the rear tail light where the sealant fails and starts rust there. The tape is very sticky, pliable and I think will keep water and air from making its way to the paint at the pinch weld. Happy motoring.

Attached Thumbnails Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs-img_3162.jpg   Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs-img_3155.jpg   Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs-img_3158.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs