Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Repair Advice for last 50K Service?

Old 04-25-2006, 12:44 PM
joedude99
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repair Advice for last 50K Service?

My 2003 MCS has had lots of repairs that were covered over the past three years.

The latest stuff is broken AC, squeaky sunroof, and loose interior door handle. I'm also suspicious that there is a leak in the break master cylinder because I hear too much air noise after I depress the brake.Anyway, I'm thinking about taking my car to an independent mechanic to see if he can find anything so that it's covered at the last free service interval.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Old 04-25-2006, 06:16 PM
stargate823
2nd Gear
My advice.... althouh it probably won't help you immediately...... Is to learn about the car and what causes certian things. Being able to fix the minor things yourslef (although hard on a daily driver) certainly helps in the long run. Aside from giving you something to do.... the cost of a day or two rental if need be is often cheaper and more fun when you fix it yourself. Brakes are a simple thing. Alot of people dont realize it because they dont understand it. Dont be afraid. Get in there and do it. Take a step back and realize that simple hydaraulics are nothing to be afraid of. PM me if you have any questions. I grew up on Fiats and although I'm not an expert..... I could certainly lend advice.

I avoid shops whenever possible..... so if I can help I certainly will. God knos labor is WAY expensive.

EDIT: Being covered for free definately helps. But even so... everything you learn makes you stronger. PM me for more info if need be. I'm always willing to share my experiences.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:51 AM
joedude99
3rd Gear
Do-it yourself car repair

I agree that it's cool and fun to service your own car if you can.

In the three years that I have owned by MINI the following has been replaced: the locking mechanisms in both doors, the switches and motors for both windows, the shifter because of water that was accumulating in the cable sleeve which would freeze in cold weather, two new software updates for bad stalling, a stuttering trunk that would not lock, and a gas tank hatch that would not unlock. Lately, the AC is broken, the door release is loose and doesn't unlock properly, and I hear too much air being sucked into the brake master cylinder which makes me think there is a small hole. All of these experiences make me want to hire an independent mechanic to give the car the once over to make sure everything is cool before I cross the 50K threshold.

Most of these items are not things you want to tinker with yourself especially if the car is under warranty.