Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Central Locking Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:49 AM
graikas
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Central Locking Receiver

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2003 Mini Cooper S in Malta, Europe. Car is a UK import.

When I tried to unlock the car the remote was not working and the owner told me that it must be the battery.

I changed the battery but still it doesn't work.

Car locks and unlocks all locks including doors, petrol cap, and boot when I insert the key on the drivers side handle. Additionally, all locks operate when I use the console switch from inside the car.

The LED on the key is lighting up so I believe it is functional, but I haven't confirmed it with a repair shop or anything like that.

Reading and searching around I understood that removing the clock behind the rear view mirror you will find the receiver,

I found this:

Is this the actual receiver? I have read forums that the receiver should have something like coax cable going from it. The specific part you see has a 3 pin connector only and that black box is bolted on the cars roof to a metal to metal contact which i believe is the ground. Measuring with my multi meter, 1 pin brings 5V and the other 12V.

I found several of these parts on ebay for cheap. If this is the receiver, can someone advise if I have to program the new one?

The best solution would be to take it to Mini but the will overcharge me for sure. Not only because they are BMW but also since my car is imported from UK for some reason Maltese dealers want to charge you more because you didn't buy the car from them

Thank you very much in advance!

With my Best Regards,
George

Old 03-04-2017, 02:22 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
https://sites.google.com/site/minian...verremotekeys/

Here's a good site with lots of information about these keys. You might try the correct pairing procedure for the style of key you have. It sounds as if the key itself is working, although it could be verified by an electronic technician with what is called a Spectrum Analyzer, which will give a graphical representation of a radio signal.

And that should be the remote receiver, given that it is marked with "433 Mhz", which is the remote frequency in Europe.

Bruce

Old 03-05-2017, 11:50 AM
graikas
Neutral
Hello Bruce,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried the pairing procedure in the past without luck...

Old 03-16-2017, 05:39 PM
graikas
Neutral
Bump! Anyone guys?