North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   MINI engine blew the cylinder wall out PICS!! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/52191-mini-engine-blew-the-cylinder-wall-out-pics.html)

seewinnerslist 10-03-2005 11:28 AM

MINI engine blew the cylinder wall out PICS!!

Aparently MINI's dont have gills and cant breath water... who knew? Sucked up some water and blew the cylinder wall out. Not a cheap repair.
https://webmail.pas.earthlink.net/wa...&x=-1326020827

KiLO 10-03-2005 12:44 PM

Ouch! Sorry to hear it...

btw, your pic isn't comin' up...

Turmoil 10-03-2005 04:09 PM

Sorry to hear it, post a pic so we can see.:thumbsup:

Tarzan 10-03-2005 05:38 PM

How did it drink the water? Please try again with the picture or provide a link. I'm sickly fascinated...

not-so-rednwhitecooper 10-03-2005 05:42 PM

i like how this is interior and extirior mods, lol :lol:

BlueCooperS 10-03-2005 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
i like how this is interior and extirior mods, lol :lol:

Cold air intake problem, perhaps?

chrisneal 10-03-2005 05:58 PM

I call troll.

LeeL 10-04-2005 07:20 AM

Is the X right where it came through?

not-so-rednwhitecooper 10-04-2005 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCooperS
Cold air intake problem, perhaps?

maybey it was one of those bumper mounted intakes and he attempted to ford a river.:roll: :wink:

camelpilot 10-04-2005 07:40 AM

lol funny thread. But poor guy with the hole in his engine.

How did the water get in there? (And tell the truth). :razz:

chrisneal 10-04-2005 07:48 AM

Can you guys actually see that photo? All I get is an X.

DrkSilvrMini 10-04-2005 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by chrisnl
Can you guys actually see that photo? All I get is an X.

Nope deffenatley cant see the photo.

Autologic 10-04-2005 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by chrisnl
I call troll.

+1

Morales 10-04-2005 08:14 PM

Me too!:thumbsup: :lol:

Originally Posted by Autologic
+1

Absorbine_Sr 10-05-2005 09:58 AM

Actually in the guy's defense, Road & Track's latest issue came yesterday, and in it they describe the exact same situation. They had the wrap up of their long term 2003 MCS and in it they describe how the driver went through a puddle (?) 1 foot deep, inhaled water and hydro-locked a cylinder, forcing the rod through the block. They did say in the article that it was down to driver error, and that the repair was I think in the $10K range.

I'll look for a link online but not sure if R & T posts all of their hard copy articles. Bottom line - don't pretend to be flippin' Captain Nemo in your MCS!!

A_Sr.

VoiD 10-05-2005 01:08 PM

uh-oh.. time to invest in one of those warps that block water but let air through. :roll:

nvus111 10-05-2005 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by seewinnerslist
Aparently MINI's dont have gills and cant breath water... who knew? Sucked up some water and blew the cylinder wall out. Not a cheap repair.
https://webmail.pas.earthlink.net/wa...&x=-1326020827

Maybe that is the guy in the M3 video who got beat, and is just sour grapes.

Squirlz 10-06-2005 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr
Actually in the guy's defense, Road & Track's latest issue came yesterday, and in it they describe the exact same situation. They had the wrap up of their long term 2003 MCS and in it they describe how the driver went through a puddle (?) 1 foot deep, inhaled water and hydro-locked a cylinder, forcing the rod through the block. They did say in the article that it was down to driver error, and that the repair was I think in the $10K range.

I'll look for a link online but not sure if R & T posts all of their hard copy articles. Bottom line - don't pretend to be flippin' Captain Nemo in your MCS!!

A_Sr.

I don't think anybody doubts that this can and has happened....it's been discussed here before. There just seems to be some question about the validity of the poster :roll:

go_mini_go 10-06-2005 02:03 PM

I was in the service center at Classic MINI a week or so ago. There were 2 motors sitting on the ground, I asked the tech what happened, he said they both were hydrolocked, one had a hole in the side of the block. There was a third car there having the motor pulled with the same problem. All three cars live in the same section of town, 2 were towed in after the same rain storm.

It is a very real situation and does not take much water to cause a failure.

not-so-rednwhitecooper 10-06-2005 02:05 PM

yeah, did classic cover them? if they did it suprises me....

anyways, if you have a CAI, as long as that filter doesnt get completely submerged in water, that engine will NEVER get hydrolocked!!!

not-so-rednwhitecooper 10-06-2005 02:06 PM

wait a minute...go mini go, do you have black bonnet stripes on an 05 MCS?

Greg? :sly:

Zman 10-07-2005 06:31 PM

road and track article

[QUOTE=Absorbine_Sr]Actually in the guy's defense, Road & Track's latest issue came yesterday, and in it they describe the exact same situation. They had the wrap up of their long term 2003 MCS and in it they describe how the driver went through a puddle (?) 1 foot deep, inhaled water and hydro-locked a cylinder, forcing the rod through the block. They did say in the article that it was down to driver error, and that the repair was I think in the $10K range.

[size=1][font=Arial]2003 Mini Cooper S[/font][/size]

[font=Arial][size=1][/size]
Photo by Allan Rosenberg[/font]

[font=Arial]•I wish BMW had stayed more faithful to the original Mini in size and weight. And I still don't like the Mini's seats; they offer very little support in a car that needs it. I feel as if a fast left-hand turn will land me in the passenger seat. Also, the inside door handles are wearing extremely quickly. — Shaun Bailey, Assistant Road Test Editor [/font]

[size=1][font=Arial]•The last 10,000 miles have been unkind to the Mini; the clutch feels dead, the gearbox is more balky and the suspension is more punishing. The car is still fun, but it's starting to feel old before its time. — David Edwards, Cycle World Editor-in-Chief[/font][/size]

[size=1][font=Arial]•The Mini is a lot more fun around town or on back roads than on the highway, where its harsh ride is a killer. It's quick off the line, corners flat, has a great shifter and decent brakes. I just wish the interior were a nicer place to be. — Allan Rosenberg, Contributing Photographer[/font][/size]

[size=1][font=Arial]Delivered price: $23,725
Total miles/miles since last report: 43,665/3295
Maintenance costs to date: $885
Repair costs to date: $1047
Average mpg to date: 24.3[/font][/size]

k-huevo 10-07-2005 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some rods and pistons from a hydrolocked Cooper. The number one rod (the one on the right) broke first; the big-end bolt slaped a hole in the lower support ladder and the cylinder case. The number 2 rod broke next but didn't do much damage.

hoopi 10-07-2005 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by k-huevo
Here are some rods and pistons from a hydrolocked Cooper. The number one rod (the one on the right) broke first; the big-end bolt slaped a hole in the lower support ladder and the cylinder case. The number 2 rod broke next but didn't do much damage.

Rated M for Mature

This image may be disturubing to some viewiers. Individual discretion is advised.

MINISQL 10-08-2005 06:40 PM

I dont understand how water can get through the supercharger.You would think that water would lock up the supercharger before it got to the engine. Is it coming through as water vapor rather than liquid? I mean the s/c tries to compress it and everybody knows you cant compress water, thats why the connecting rods broke in the pictures posted earlier, so why isn't there damage to the s/c as well?