North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   a uniquely urban problem -- rats (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/51631-a-uniquely-urban-problem-rats.html)

username 09-25-2005 08:27 PM

a uniquely urban problem -- rats

This is not that unusual a story for some cities (particularly NY). Rats like to hang out in engine compartments -- heat and apparently they like insulation.

Tonight, pulling out a space (well, I got a foot) -- sound comes out of the engine compartment like a brick had been dropped in the fan. More like a rat in one of the belts.

Has anyone had this happen to them (in any car)? Or any other potentially major external intrusion into the engine? I'm going to call the dealer first thing, and the insurance company (is this covered?), so mostly I'm just freaking out (I've heard that getting the smell out is near impossible -- it already stinks in there, and there is fur and blood visible on the passenger side of the engine compartment), and any info would be helpful. One belt appears shredded, and is hanging freely. Aside from rat goo, there is no other visible damage. I had to restart to inch back into the space, and sound did not occur (clearly, the bulk was the sound of a rat being dismembered) again. Wish me luck.

cheers
nic
(MCS, 03)

ravenfish 09-25-2005 08:45 PM

Well that is truely gross.:eek2::eek2: :eek2: I have lived in NYC and Jersey City for the past 15 years, I never. I have heard of rats and mice nesting in engines, especially in cars that are not moved often.

My brother in law swears that while going around 40mph, a mouse climbed out from under the hood and walked across the wipers to the driver side mirror before it was taken away by force of wind.:roll:

I would take your poor MINI to a detailer and have the engine steam cleaned like right now. I doubt your insurance is gonna cover that.

May the force be with you.

username 09-25-2005 08:49 PM

Steam cleaning -- good idea

Do you still live in the area? Got any detailer recommendations? I live in Manhattan, and it's hopeless here (I usually go out to Union City for a wash, so I'm okay with driving out to JC or nearby). Hopefully it's only the belt, and some muck.

kenchan 09-25-2005 09:02 PM

yeh, i also recommend steam cleaning....and if a detailer's willing to
do this for you, pay him LOTS of tip...like extra $50 as this job is
TRUELY discusting... :impatient :impatient :impatient

ravenfish 09-25-2005 09:15 PM

I spend my time between JC and GVillage. I wash all of my cars @ Waterworks 758 Garfield Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07305 phone: (201) 434-0500, ask for Frannie. Touchless, pressure wash. They do a great quick wax.

002 09-25-2005 11:05 PM

We frequently have cars brought in that have either been chewed up by rats or have become their final resting place. Recently I was doing an inspection and noticed a piece of string hanging from the crank pulley, I pulled it out to find a large mouse attatched to the other end :eek2:.

The MINITOR 09-26-2005 09:55 AM

Rats! I think I have read something about this before. Here it is: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=50111

You may find this useful. No, I take that back. It really isnt useful at all. But pretty amusing. Great pics too, even a few of rats caught in engines.

cooperSharon 09-26-2005 02:01 PM

Not totally unique to urban locations. I live in a very rural area, where field mice like to nest in warm engine compartments. They appear to have a taste for spark plug wire boots and hood insulation, as I've discovered first-hand. :sad: I've also heard stories of mice eating the insulation off injector wires ($$$$).

BMDoubleU 09-26-2005 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by username
This is not that unusual a story for some cities (particularly NY). Rats like to hang out in engine compartments -- heat and apparently they like insulation.

Tonight, pulling out a space (well, I got a foot) -- sound comes out of the engine compartment like a brick had been dropped in the fan. More like a rat in one of the belts.

Has anyone had this happen to them (in any car)? Or any other potentially major external intrusion into the engine? I'm going to call the dealer first thing, and the insurance company (is this covered?), so mostly I'm just freaking out (I've heard that getting the smell out is near impossible -- it already stinks in there, and there is fur and blood visible on the passenger side of the engine compartment), and any info would be helpful. One belt appears shredded, and is hanging freely. Aside from rat goo, there is no other visible damage. I had to restart to inch back into the space, and sound did not occur (clearly, the bulk was the sound of a rat being dismembered) again. Wish me luck.

cheers
nic
(MCS, 03)

the damage caue by rats would be covered under "comprehensive coverages".. (full coverage insurance is the only way to go with new cars) i had a simular experiance with a kitten in my old dodge and insurance took care of it. (weither its a jealous fool breaking your windows or rats eating your car for lunch .. comprehensive will pay to get it fixed...)

good luck

Bullfrog 09-26-2005 07:21 PM

cooperSharon is correct, it's not just an urban problem. I live out in the woods, and the wood rats like to chew on electrical wiring. Especially Fords, for some reason. Had a Chevy p/u and they never touched it. I have to keep moving my cars around the yard to keep them guessing; if you leave one in one place for too long, they move in. I also have a cardinal that likes to attack all the mirrors. They haven't bothered the MINI yet, I guess because I'm always driving it.

username 09-26-2005 07:23 PM

update

looks good so far:

1. Comprehensive -- yes. Covered -- yes. More than deductible? Not likely.
2. But that's good news. Looks like it's Mini: 1. Noxious Rat Population of NYC: 0. So far, it looks like the belt is all I lost. I'd rather a small charge for small damage than big coverage for big damage.
3. Learned an interesting bit about the warranty as well: I though the warranty ran out with maintenance, but it turns out it's 4/50 and 3/36, respectively (did anyone reup for the maintenance extension?)
4. Re: detailing and cleaning. That was done first. Shop wouldn't do any repair or diagnostic without cleaning and disinfecting first (FYI: shop time at Mini of Manhattan is $117/hr -- how does this stack up in the region?).

By the end of the day they were only getting close to being able to run a full check. But it looks like I am the proud owner of a furry, $420 broken fan belt. Whoo hoo!

Nic

PS: thanks for the info and kind words.

BMDoubleU 09-27-2005 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by username
looks good so far:

1. Comprehensive -- yes. Covered -- yes. More than deductible? Not likely.
2. But that's good news. Looks like it's Mini: 1. Noxious Rat Population of NYC: 0. So far, it looks like the belt is all I lost. I'd rather a small charge for small damage than big coverage for big damage.
3. Learned an interesting bit about the warranty as well: I though the warranty ran out with maintenance, but it turns out it's 4/50 and 3/36, respectively (did anyone reup for the maintenance extension?)
4. Re: detailing and cleaning. That was done first. Shop wouldn't do any repair or diagnostic without cleaning and disinfecting first (FYI: shop time at Mini of Manhattan is $117/hr -- how does this stack up in the region?).

By the end of the day they were only getting close to being able to run a full check. But it looks like I am the proud owner of a furry, $420 broken fan belt. Whoo hoo!

Nic

PS: thanks for the info and kind words.

i'm glad it worked out...:smile:

peace'