Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 06:37 PM
jpk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always done my first oil changes on past new cars at about 1500 miles. The thinking is to change it quickly on the first time to get rid of the new metal shavings... Any advice on the first change interval for our new mini ?

Old 01-13-2003, 08:12 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to MCO!

This has come up so many times and been discussed at such great length already that you might not get too much of a response to your question. Try doing a search of the forums (click on "search" to the right of the drop-down menu above; the search box at the top right of the screen doesn't search the forums) for something like "oil change", and you'll find as many different opinions as if you had asked what people's favorite color MINI was!

There seems to be some consensus that the idea of an early oil change to flush out metal shavings is left over from decades ago, when engines were not machined with the precision of today. Supposedly engines nowadays are run at the factory to loosen and remove any such particles. Every time this is posted, though, someone else posts saying that when they changed their oil at 1000 miles, there were little sparkly pieces of metal in the oil.

I guess the only thing that everyone really agrees upon is that it can't actually hurt to do an early oil change. Not many people seem willing to wait until 10k to change the MINI's oil, especially since the Castrol that the factory puts in is not highly regarded.

If you're planning on doing it yourself, there's a great rundown of the process, with pictures, from mini2.com that is linked to from one of the threads on this site.

Old 01-14-2003, 10:33 AM
coachb
1st Gear
I just changed my oil Sunday at just under 1000 miles. I figured it couldn't hurt, I saw no signs of metal even with close inspection of the filter. I will say that the canister does not thread on in 5 turns (as the instructions said)before you need the wrench, just look to see when the O ring gets to the lip and starts to compress and then put the wrench on it. The whole job took me less than 40 minutes using Mobil 1. There is a good link on how to at Mini Guide- how to.

MC-LY, Sport package

Old 01-14-2003, 10:56 AM
dbierman
2nd Gear
Hey JPK! I just went to the dealership last Friday for a 1500 mile oil change. The service manager agreed that it is most likely unnecessary, but certainly won't hurt. He mentioned that an early oil change often reassures potential buyers when (or if) it comes time to put your MINI up for sale.
Either way, I feel it was $75 well spent (the donuts, coffee and car wash were all complimentary)!!

Old 01-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
>>Either way, I feel it was $75 well spent (the donuts, coffee and car wash were all complimentary)!!

Believe me, you paid for those goodies! I'd just consider it a $70 oil change, $3 car wash, and $2 tasties!

Old 01-14-2003, 12:53 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
Did mine in the driveway at 2800 miles. Use a 12" Cresent wrench to get the filter cap loose. Took less than an hour including cleanup. Cost = $12 for the filter from the dealer. ~$20 for 5 quarts of Amsoil 5W30 full synth. ~$2 worth of beer. Total about $34.

Old 01-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Gas2Hi
2nd Gear
Motor City Mini (Detroit Metro area) wants $129 for an oil change! Yikes..Better be able to eat 10 dozen donuts while I am at the dealer!!...

Old 01-15-2003, 07:14 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>Use a 12" Cresent wrench to get the filter cap loose.

Is there actually enough rotating room to use a crescent? I found that I could only turn the ratchet back a few clicks before I had to turn it again. Took about 50 of these mini-turns to loosen the canister.

Old 01-15-2003, 07:32 AM
dbierman
2nd Gear
>>Motor City Mini (Detroit Metro area) wants $129 for an oil change! Yikes..Better be able to eat 10 dozen donuts while I am at the dealer!!...

I just paid $75 @ MCM last week. Would there be a reason for a $50 difference between my MC and your MCS? You may want to consider changing your handle to Oil2Hi!

Old 01-15-2003, 07:53 AM
wwwebb
5th Gear
Trying not to flame...

Why are you paying 75 to 130 bucks for an oil change? For 75 bucks you should'a got your glazed donuts and you know what glazed, also. That is crazy. Go to a service station and bring your own oil and filter. Or, bring it to me and save 5 bucks, I'll do it for 70. I am in the wrong line of work.

Old 01-15-2003, 09:06 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Yeah, I was complaining about the cost of oil changes on another thread... My dealer charges $65, which I still figure is about double what it ought to cost.

It's kind of depressing that MINI dealers consider their customers such prime targets for price gouging. Doesn't seem sporting...but hey, that's capitalism. And it REALLY makes you want to work out all of the bugs on your car before it requires any out-of-warranty service (otherwise, I'm outta this car before it hits 51,000 miles)

Old 01-15-2003, 11:32 PM
retroom
4th Gear
>>Did mine in the driveway at 2800 miles. Use a 12" Cresent wrench to get the filter cap loose. Took less than an hour including cleanup. Cost = $12 for the filter from the dealer. ~$20 for 5 quarts of Amsoil 5W30 full synth. ~$2 worth of beer. Total about $34.

Pretty fancy doing the oil change in your Tux :smile:

retroom

Old 01-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Gidget
3rd Gear
I paid $40 for my oil change. Good Year did it and I made sure the right synthetic and filter were used.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:37 AM
Pebble
4th Gear
>>I paid $40 for my oil change. Good Year did it and I made sure the right synthetic and filter were used.
>>
>>
$25.00 Did It Myself

Old 01-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Gas2Hi
2nd Gear
Motor City Mini (Detroit charges $129 for an oil change!! Yikes....

Old 01-16-2003, 08:19 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
>>Motor City Mini (Detroit charges $129 for an oil change!! Yikes....

Well I guess that's what happens with the motor vehicle industry when they they can sell SUVs to people, they know how easy people are to take advantage of, and now it has crept its way here. Just look at starbucks.

Old 01-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Gas2Hi
2nd Gear
wish all folks who view /post this board would call MINIUSA to voice "concerns" over their "service policies" Example the going on vacation and not allowing dealer to perform the necessary oil change without paying! even if the counter was under a 1000 miles and while going to your destination, you go over "to 0",,and MINI USA gave me that exact example with 800 miles to go,Would not allow service for free because I really want to spend a day of my vacation changing my oil!! with all their 100's of dealer scattered around the Country lol..

.If enough folks voice "concerns" maybe MINIUSA/BMW will go to a straight "mileage based system to perform Service ending alot of confusion,,Anyone willing to assist me by calling MINI.? Also where can I find the Services that have to be performed at the 25000/40,000 mile intervals.,,and what is exactly done ? as mentioned in another post. As I mentioned, my dealer in Detroit area wants $129 to change the oil!!!..So much for "free service"...but those BMW ultimate drivers out there R used to being charged high prices,,,, To be fair, my dealer stated when my car reaches 10K , he will call MINIUSA to see if they will authorize the "free" oil change. I totally agree that I can change my oil myself, however when MINIUSA pitch the "free service" under warrenty and pitch the extended Service", should follow thur with providing the Service and quit making it difficult for us to go thur 25 hoops to collect..How about it ?Will the folks who view/post on this forum help me out and call MINI so I am not the only one that is wineing "sp" about this,,PLEASE!! :???:

Old 01-18-2003, 08:01 PM
sirron
5th Gear
On my new GMC Sierra truck they change oil for the lifetime of the truck for $19.95 . This is in writing from the dealer. I changed my own oil in the MINI at about 2000 miles with Amsoil. Mini dealers are taking us to the cleaners...donuts or not.

LTL YELO

Old 01-18-2003, 08:15 PM
Gas2Hi
2nd Gear
Would you call MiniUSA to question their official policy on the down to "0" on the counter before you r "entitled to the "FREE" oil change?. again if enough folks complain, they might change,,example loane policy while you cars in for warrenty work ect,,They did change their policy on "loaner" in Dec (MINIUSA) but they say if you car is tied up for more than a day as I understand it and it still up to your dealers descrtion,,I guess I will be able to "walk home" and back in a "DAY" I not asking for a MINI or BMW but just a beater,, to get to work

Old 01-20-2003, 06:43 PM
pdfoot81
Neutral
Motor City MINI charging $125 for an oil change? It does not surprise me. Thankfully, I did not purchase my car from them, but at 150 miles, it is the closest dealer to my house. 3000 miles ago, I brought my MCS to them and asked them to address two problems; an incessant whistle above 40 and a trip odometer that switches constantly between "miles", "km", or an combination of the two, i.e. "kmil" or "les". 3000 miles and 3 months later, there is still no fix for my two mentioned problems, nor is there any record of their occurence in any other MINI. Needless to say, I left very unimpressed with their service department and personel. Their failure to follow up as they said they would further tarnishes their image. I rather dread having to take my car there for service, and will strongly consider driving much further if my car ever needs service. . . 6000 miles and my MCS feels as good as ever. BTW, I fixed the whistle by blocking the fresh air inlets at the base of the windshield.

I pray that Yark BMW in Toledo, Ohio is soon certified to service MINIs. They truthfully are the most delightful dealership. After my experience at Motor City MINI, I reluctantly took my BMW 330Cic to Yark for its first service. (Don't worry, I change the oil and filter regularly and would never subject such a jewel of an engine to a 15,000+ drain interval.) Much to my surprise, they were pleasant and worked quickly. Despite being 21-years-old, they extended respect and courtesy to me as though I were a patron of 60 years. Such service, in my mind, is a rather good start to nourishing such a relationship. Also, the 330 was taken in with 700 miles left before an oil change. NEVER was this an issue.

BMW could be making a rather expensive mistake. Judging from my own experience and reading posts on this site, it is apparent that there is a huge deficiency when it comes to MINI service. As a BMW subsidiary, it isn't hard to imagine MINI customers "moving up" to a BMW one day. . . that is, of course, if the said MINI customers will even consider stepping into another BMW dealership. From my own experience, I would never consider giving Motor City MINI (Bavarian Motor Village) any future business. Believe it or not, it could be much more expensive for BMW to **** off a 25-year-old customer with a MINI and a a coolant tank leak than a 70-year-old with a 750iL. If BMW does this right, the 25-year-old MINI customer may one day be a 70-year-old with a 750iL, not to mention all the "year-olds" and 3, 5, 6, and 7 series that come in between. . .. ok, it's time for my medication.

Old 01-20-2003, 06:57 PM
LockjawDavis
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear your story about Motor City MINI/Bavarian Motor Village experience. I recently took my MINI in for a 1500 mile oil change for $75 (my time is money, and it was worth every cent). Ken Berman, the service manager, greeted me at the desk and treated me as well as I've been treated in any car dealership anywhere. My car was lubed, washed and waiting at the front door in about 20 mins. I'll be back.

Old 01-21-2003, 08:24 PM
Gas2Hi
2nd Gear
I was quoted $129 by Ken for an oil change. (When I askeed Y so high a price when Cinn Mini charges $79 he stated, Cinn Mini is lossing money only charging 79! and WE have a "mechanic" change your oil here not a lube jockey..Wow, :evil:

Old 01-21-2003, 09:21 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>I was quoted $129 by Ken for an oil change. (When I askeed Y so high a price when Cinn Mini charges $79 he stated, Cinn Mini is lossing money only charging 79! and WE have a "mechanic" change your oil here not a lube jockey..Wow, :evil:

Hand that guy a shovel. What a load of horsepuckey.