Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

squeaky clutch, squeaky windows, squeaky everything...

Old 06-19-2005, 07:50 PM
sorsha6
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeaky clutch, squeaky windows, squeaky everything...

hey this may or may not be a silly question, i'm not sure... over the past few weeks my clutch has been fairly noisy (squeaky). there don't seem to be any other problems shifting wise so i've been ignoring it for the moment... should i be worried? i plan on going to the dealer next month but may do so sooner if advised.
could it be the weather? it's been consistantly humid for a while now...
i hope it's not a big problem, if any. and my windows... sheesh. they shriek everytime i put'em up or down. that i can't wait to have fixed!
any thoughts?

Old 06-19-2005, 08:39 PM
sorsha6
3rd Gear
bump

Old 06-19-2005, 10:47 PM
tennis_man
3rd Gear
My windows squeaked for a while and when I took my Mini in for a scheduled oil change I mentioned it to the dealer and they lubricated the cranking assembly at no charge.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:30 AM
Aqualung
4th Gear
When I mentioned the squeaky window (just one) to my dealer, they replaced the regulators on both, no charge under warranty. Go MINI of Peabody!

Old 06-20-2005, 09:13 AM
lotsie
Banned
My windows squeaked in hot weather, not the workings of the windows, but the glass rubbing on the seals. Since using Stoners Invisible Glass to clean them, no more squeaks:smile:

Old 06-20-2005, 09:45 AM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Squeaks here too.

My drivers' side window squeaks. I also hear a squeak that I originally thought came from the clutch, but the husband seems to think it is a squeaky engine mount or something. Does this sound familiar: It's kind of like a chirp/clicking sound that normally happens when launching from first, i.e. with a fair amount of touque. Since I can get it to do it by hitting the gas pedal in first without even touching the clutch, it can't be coming from there, at least in my case.

Since I haven't noticed any mechanical symptoms or performance problems, I don't think I'm going to bother with a special trip into the dealer. Within the next three months or so, I will have to go in for scheduled maintenance anyway, so I'll just mention it then.

But if you're close to your dealer, you might want to have them check it out.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:55 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say go get them to fix your window squeak asap. I mentioned my windows squeaking to another mini owner, and he said he just took his in for a squeak and they came back squeak free.

I let them squeak for another week or two then my window started twitching. It went up and down over and over... with no keys or anything in the ignition. Then they started hesitating going back up.

When i called the dealership, as soon as i said "squeaky windows" they asked about my new issues before i even told them i had them. They replaced my window motors under warranty.

But watch out, my dealership said they break the speaker clips alot when they disassemble the doors... so make sure the speaker clip around your door opener is in tact after they finish :P

Old 06-20-2005, 09:57 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bmovierat
Does this sound familiar: It's kind of like a chirp/clicking sound that normally happens when launching from first, i.e. with a fair amount of touque. Since I can get it to do it by hitting the gas pedal in first without even touching the clutch, it can't be coming from there, at least in my case.
Is it only when you shift? is the a/c on? I'd go for the accessory belts if that's the case. My boyfriend had a chirp noise when shifting... he just tightened his accessory belts and all was fine.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:57 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by The Short Bus
Is it only when you shift? is the a/c on? I'd go for the accessory belts if that's the case. My boyfriend had a chirp noise when shifting... he just tightened his accessory belts and all was fine.
It's not only when I shift. It's when I launch usually. It seems to happen when there's a significant weight transfer. I don't think the A/C was on, but I'll check it the next time I drive. There's another thread on here with people talking about the same puzzling problem. No one seems to know what's causing it.

Until it gets worse, however, I don't think I'm going to go through the hassle of getting it serviced.

I love your user name btw.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Pat_Cooper
4th Gear
Does it happen when first gear catches? If so Eric from helix explained to me it is the flywheel. It actually asked me if the noise sounded like this <and he made the noise> and he was on the money. He said its the flywheel.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:32 PM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Sorry i couldn't help out much. I'm no dude. :P

Hope you find the culprit... and thanks

Old 06-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Monkey_Boy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by The Short Bus
I say go get them to fix your window squeak asap. I mentioned my windows squeaking to another mini owner, and he said he just took his in for a squeak and they came back squeak free.
Well, let me tell what our dealer does to solve this. I've complained 3 times now. It's not mechanical, the squeal in my case is the inside window wiper. Gee, they simply apply some sort of lubricant to the wiper. Walla! No squeal - for about 1 week. Then it's back. But even worse is the lube crap is on the windows. Nice, eh?

They fixed my sunroof (motor failed) and now it rattles like hell. Time to return to the dealer... again.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:50 AM
sorsha6
3rd Gear
my squeak's different. it's whenever i push the clutch, regardless of whether or not the car's on, in gear, etc. i'm hoping it just needs some lubrication, but i have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow anyway. i think i scared the woman making my appointment when i gave her the list of problems...
squeaky windows
squeaky clutch
boot latch malfunction
SES light on
ebreak sticks when the temperature's under 50, mostly doesn't hold when it's above
door handles froze up this winter trapping me in the car.
ha. i haven't been around a dealership in a while so it'll be nice to get all this stuff cleared up!

Old 06-21-2005, 11:14 AM
steebo777
2nd Gear
I have squeky windows as well. Maybe I'll get that fixed soon. Does anyone think the dealership could damage my tint on the window (driver's and passenger sides) if they replace the regulators or felt? It may be an ignorant question, I just do not know how power windows exactly work.

Old 07-02-2005, 06:14 PM
GrnGbln
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
My windows squeaked in hot weather, not the workings of the windows, but the glass rubbing on the seals. Since using Stoners Invisible Glass to clean them, no more squeaks:smile:
i think that is my problem too, the glass rubbing...not much the dealer can do about that.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:06 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Edit: Wrong thread, please delete

Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
your reputation here is forever stained.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:45 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
your reputation here is forever stained.
Accidentally bumping a 14 year old thread, I should be banned

Old 06-13-2019, 06:00 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts

nah...
what this thread really needs is a themesong...

...ah!

Squeaky bunny remix maybe!