Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

im hearing a rattle/static but can't isolate or reproduce

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 03:29 AM
jaxkewl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im hearing a rattle/static but can't isolate or reproduce

i dont know if its a rattle or static. it sounds just like when someone crinkles a bag of chips. i *THINK* its coming from the passenger side. it only happens when i drive. and its random. i know this is very vague, but what are some of the possible locations of these sounds that you've experienced? i've read and searched, but can't get a solution.

i tried to turn the radio completly off and the sound is still there. i tried looking for loose objects or things that could me moving or vibrating, but didnt find any. TIA

i know i am under warranty, but i want to know exactly how to reproduce it so they can fix it.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:04 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You looked under the car to make sure there's not a branch or something stuck under there?

Old 03-22-2005, 04:45 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does that happen when the window/sunroof is open?
If so, you may have the same ticking noise I had on my
passenger door...perhaps.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:21 AM
jaxkewl
2nd Gear
i'll look under my car even if that last post was a joke....

all windows and doors sunroof were closed. sounds just like someone crackling a bag of chips. i guess my question is where was your rattle problem area so i can investigate too

Old 03-22-2005, 05:32 AM
Stinger
3rd Gear
I had something similar with mine a while ago. At first I thought the radio speakers were going bad, but the sound continued with the radio off. It turned out to be that the little reflector on the end of the passenger door (you see it when it is opened) was loose. The dealer told me that was a common problem.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:58 AM
leon's rocket car
Banned
header/exhaust

Here is my issue that will be resolved this week: noise due to new madness header and milltek exhaust added. Because the header and cat that was put on the car is shorter than the stock version the rubber mounts are out of place, thus excessive rubbing causing the noise. This metallic scraping noise happens on downshifting and idle, not normal driving. We are going to modify the mounting point for the header/exhaust. I sprayed some silicone but that only lasted about an hour and the noise was back.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:03 AM
jaxkewl
2nd Gear
i hate rattles. i wish something was just broken that way i know what/where was broken and i could replace it. but to put up with a rattle/static noise and try to find out where its coming from is insane. thanks for all the suggestions. i'll get to the bottom of this caper and let everyone know. lets share the wealth people so keep the suggestions coming...

Old 03-22-2005, 06:19 AM
leon's rocket car
Banned
fogort to mention that the heat sheild was also hovering 1mm or so above the header, so bending it back a tad did help with that rattle.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:45 AM
jaxkewl
2nd Gear
how did u guys determine where your rattle was coming from? did u start hearing the rattle and started "holding down" dash trims, door panels, other parts to see if it went away. my ears are not so good so i could not pinpoint it exactly. i'd like to just take it to the dealer and say its coming from somewhere on the passenger side, but i figured i had to be more specific.
i still can't find that damn rattle!! im very moody today...

Old 03-23-2005, 05:17 AM
leon's rocket car
Banned
I got lucky in that I just installed the header/exhaust and my rattle was coming from under my gearbox/seating area. once on the rack we inspected the entire path and the only parts making contact were the resonator mounts on the bracket. The madness header is shorter than stock so we had to pull out the dremel and make new slots in the bracket. And now no noise

Old 03-23-2005, 04:37 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
While you hear the rattle pull on the map holder on the passenger door
to see if the noise goes away. If yes, its probably your door panel
rattling against the metal door at the bottom.

mine only did it while a window or sunroof was open and cause vaccum
inside the cabin.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
jaxkewl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
While you hear the rattle pull on the map holder on the passenger door
to see if the noise goes away. If yes, its probably your door panel
rattling against the metal door at the bottom.

mine only did it while a window or sunroof was open and cause vaccum
inside the cabin.
we have a map holder?? holy crap!:smile:

Old 03-23-2005, 05:05 PM
charlesworth05
1st Gear
I found the grill just under the windshield wipper on the passenger side to be loose. I popped it out and applied a bead of poster clay around the contact points to the metal body and reinstalled. The poster clay eliminated it from rattling within its mounts.

I do have a creeky/rattling noise I'm getting from the A pillar area by the windshield on the passenger side. Can't seem to isolate. I've tried shimming between windshiled and interior trim on the "A" pillar with no results.Anyone have thoughts on this one. BTW I have an 05 S 6 weeks old and 3500 miles no sunroof.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:26 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jaxkewl
we have a map holder?? holy crap!:smile:
what do you call it? the umbrella holder?

Old 03-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
Check the adjustment slider where the seat belt mounts to the B pillar. I sometimes get a similar vibration there. I have also been freaked out when the windows or sunroof is open, and the wind catches the seat belt just so that it slaps RAPIDLY against the seat. That is LOUD! I plan to take apart the B pillar and put a piece of velcro backing (the soft side) inside it to prevent the vibs from the seatbelt height adjuster. Good luck!

i dont know if its a rattle or static. it sounds just like when someone crinkles a bag of chips. i *THINK* its coming from the passenger side. it only happens when i drive. and its random. i know this is very vague, but what are some of the possible locations of these sounds that you've experienced? i've read and searched, but can't get a solution.

i tried to turn the radio completly off and the sound is still there. i tried looking for loose objects or things that could me moving or vibrating, but didnt find any. TIA

i know i am under warranty, but i want to know exactly how to reproduce it so they can fix it.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:37 AM
jaxkewl
2nd Gear
still no luck, im slowly getting used to the noise though. its kinda like a pet. it comes out when you least suspect.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:24 AM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Could it be your side windows rubbing against the rubber weather stripping of the door frames?

Old 03-25-2005, 11:45 AM
spav
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by beken
Could it be your side windows rubbing against the rubber weather stripping of the door frames?
I have this rattle. On dry days the window is "crinkling" on the driver's side. I know it's the window hitting the weather stripping since it goes away when I open the window. Any fix for that?

Old 03-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
I have another vibration that come on around 3500 rpm, and sounds EXACTLY like a blown speaker. I've had it off and ona gain for a while, and am used to it, but I noticed two days ago, that if I put my hand ont he gear shifter, it goes away, even though it does not sound like it is coming from the gearbox. It's no big deal, but I am wondering if a heavier ****, like the Whalen knowb, might eliminate it.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
This is a thread that happened a while ago. Hope it works I have limited luck at pasting in links:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...5&page=2&pp=25

This maybe the same rattle you have. Next time it happens put some pressure on one or both of the downtubes below the dash. If the rattle stops under that pressure shove a felt shim between the tube top and the lower dash.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:18 PM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still no luck, im slowly getting used to the noise though. its kinda like a pet. it comes out when you least suspect.
I am guessing that you are experiencing the same thing I am experiencing and have written about on Mini2. I call it crackling. It is a sound that happens intermittently and is hard to locate. It seems to come from the windshield or the front of the headliner where it just about meets the windshield. One member of Mini2 suggested that it is the multiple layers of materials above our heads rubbing and is an old and known problem. Others have said it is how the windshield is afixed. I am leaning towards the headliner, etc. source as I have varied the sound by pushing on the front of the headliner as the sound is occurring.

Is yours a "crackling?"

Old 03-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
I'd buy that it has something to do with the windshiled, as my car developed it as a direct result of having the windshield replaced. Except I thihnk mine is at the bottom of the windshield, where the dash clips are.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:48 AM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Verruckt
I'd buy that it has something to do with the windshiled, as my car developed it as a direct result of having the windshield replaced. Except I thihnk mine is at the bottom of the windshield, where the dash clips are.
Last evening while driving, my "crackling" started-up. I started touching and pressing interior parts to see if I could change the sound. Well, when I pushed on the dash just above the chrono pak...pushing forward towards the windshield, I could change the sound. Thus, I think the sound is created where the dash touches the windshield, or any membrane that is in between the two. This happens intermittently and I think depending on temperature. I have heard about inserting bits of black foam to separate the parts to eliminate the sound.

Try the pushing on the dash and tell us if it does the same for you!

Old 03-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Verruckt
4th Gear
Nope. I tried that one a long time ago. Mine is only affected by touching the shift ****.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:57 AM
jaxkewl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by andromcs
I am guessing that you are experiencing the same thing I am experiencing and have written about on Mini2. I call it crackling. It is a sound that happens intermittently and is hard to locate. It seems to come from the windshield or the front of the headliner where it just about meets the windshield. One member of Mini2 suggested that it is the multiple layers of materials above our heads rubbing and is an old and known problem. Others have said it is how the windshield is afixed. I am leaning towards the headliner, etc. source as I have varied the sound by pushing on the front of the headliner as the sound is occurring.

Is yours a "crackling?"
yes it does sound like crackling! at one point i thought i heard it near the windshield then i thought i heard it near the speaker. i can't isolate the noise still, but it always sounds like its coming from the passenger side.

Quick Reply: im hearing a rattle/static but can't isolate or reproduce