North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Air bag light question (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/358972-air-bag-light-question.html)

A383Wing 02-04-2022 12:02 PM

Air bag light question

I hope I put this question in the correct place.
Car is 2006 R52 JCW. The passenger front seat mat was replaced by dealer a couple years ago.

Here's the issue I am having with the yellow light in the header panel:

Light is off when nobody is sitting in passenger seat
Light is on when my dog or someone is sitting in the passenger seat
Light stays on when passenger seat belt is buckled
Light is on when belt is buckled and nobody is sitting in the passenger front seat
There are no codes for the SRS system
The little red light goes out in the dash when I buckle the driver's side seat belt.

My question is this: Could it be possible that the previous owners deactivated the passenger side air bag at some point? Or do I need to look at something else?

Bryan

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...952845d5ce.jpg

deepgrey 02-04-2022 12:53 PM

It sounds normal except for "Light is on when someone is sitting in the passenger seat." I assume said someone is a full-grown adult?

A383Wing 02-04-2022 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by deepgrey (Post 4612447)
It sounds normal except for "Light is on when someone is sitting in the passenger seat." I assume said someone is a full-grown adult?

Did you read the full post? I stated when the light is on and off....I can even make the light come on when I push my hand on the passenger seat.

So, normal for you is the light is on when someone is sitting in the passenger seat, and seat belt is buckled? Light should be off if my thinking is correct.

I don't think this is the way it's supposed to work

Light stays on when passenger seat belt is buckled
Light is on when belt is buckled and nobody is sitting in the passenger front seat
Bryan

deepgrey 02-04-2022 01:56 PM

Yeah, I read the whole post, bud. You didn't answer my question. It's weight based. Is the "someone" an adult? If the "someone" is an adult, then it's not working right, and I would guess a faulty mat. A dog is possibly not heavy enough to turn that airbag on. Same goes for your hand. I'm pretty sure I remember buckling the belt with no one in the seat would also turn the light on, but I haven't tried it in years. Someone with a working mat should be able to confirm that.

Normal for me is the light is always off because I shut the sensor off in software.

A383Wing 02-04-2022 02:02 PM

Light is on when I am sitting in the passenger seat with seat belt buckled. Light is on when my dog of 40lbs is sitting in the passenger seat with belt buckled or unbuckled with me driving.

deepgrey 02-04-2022 02:10 PM

Yep, that ain't right.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I had a code when my mat was failing though. It was intermittent, and it would light the SRS light in the speedo. Hmm...

I don't know how it acts if the airbag is deactivated.

A383Wing 02-04-2022 02:15 PM

I just got off the phone with the dealer, they replaced the seat mat under recall in 2019..... They say that I need to bring it back in for diagnosis, at the cost of $200

deepgrey 02-04-2022 02:18 PM

Ugh. If you have INPA and NCSExpert, you could pull the settings from the airbag module and take a gander at them.

It looks like it would probably be the AIRBAG_BEIFAHRER_1 option to turn the passenger airbag on or off, so you could check that to see if it's been disabled. Perhaps someone else can confirm that setting.

@adriancl , do you have any thoughts? I don't know if the euro cars got the same mats that we did in the states.

A383Wing 02-04-2022 03:51 PM

I have the computer program to get into the BCM for re-coding.....it's on my laptop, just have not pulled the trigger and connected it to my car yet

ssoliman 02-06-2022 08:15 PM

Do you have a code when u scan w inpa?

A383Wing 02-06-2022 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by ssoliman (Post 4612636)
Do you have a code when u scan w inpa?

I don't have INPA.... I have a Foxwell scanner that reads SRS system codes, and no, I have no codes

Bryan

ssoliman 02-06-2022 08:29 PM

Guess I’d clean the connector under the seat.

then I’d call another dealer and double check the mat recall. We had ours replaced also. Prob the mat is bad.

A383Wing 02-06-2022 08:43 PM

The connector under the seat is good, I double checked it today....

Scroll up and see reply #7 about the dealer

Bryan