North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   Electrical/Starter issue??? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/338191-electrical-starter-issue.html)

Howster 04-21-2019 11:19 AM

Electrical/Starter issue???

Howdy folks,

I just found out I posted in the wrong era and I was told so. I apologize hugely. Its been awhile since I was on here as I have been traveling around the country for work. I came home this weekend to see the family and to replace the O2 sensors on my fiancee's 2010 R56 Mini Cooper Base. However yesterday, for the first time, she got off work and the car wouldn't start. I went to investigate and I could tell straight away there is a short or loose ground somewhere. Lights and dash are on, however as soon as I go to start the car everything flashes and then goes dark.

I checked the battery connections and the immediate grounds around it, but all are secure. A very nice guy rolled up and asked if we needed a jump, and we started it with a jumper pack. It was charging properly and no issues with alternator or any other issues. We drove it to a local auto parts store to get it checked as all of my tools are locked away. Battery diagnostics show a perfectly good battery, and the alternator is fine.

We had to have the car jumped again at the parts store because of the loos wire somewhere. I drove it home without incident as before. It just does not start because of the wire. My question is I need to know where the ground points are in the starting system. I will check to see if the ground on the started is secure, however if that isn't the culprit where can I go to inspect the other grounds? I could just start from the ignition switch and move down, but I don't have a lot of time because I am only here for a few days. My fiancee will be wife tomorrow and well, then I will have to repair all of the hair dryers and things around the house that have never been an issue until NOW.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have always received very good info from this forum and it is much appreciated. I do the same on the forums where I have the knowledge. Thanks again and HAPPY EASTER .

Cheers,

Howie

MiniToBe 04-21-2019 02:33 PM

A good battery doesnt mean a strong battery. Since it only starts when you jump start it, that tells me the battery is weak. It my have 13v but the cca could be too low to push the starter. SO, get a new battery and go from there.

Nothing seems loose to me because of the fact it only starts when you jump it.

Howster 04-21-2019 02:43 PM

Thanks. It does start intermittently, but the battery is in fact good. We have already done diagnostics and am happy the battery is fine, as well as the alternator. When I attempt to start it and it won't start everything goes dead, meaning lights and instruments. Everything. I work electronics for a living so I do know a short or loose wire. I just don't know where all of the grounds are located so I just wanted a little assist. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Howie

MiniToBe 04-21-2019 02:52 PM

Try newtis.info and navigate to R56.

AZdsrt 04-21-2019 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Howster (Post 4464858)
Thanks. It does start intermittently, but the battery is in fact good. We have already done diagnostics and am happy the battery is fine, as well as the alternator. When I attempt to start it and it won't start everything goes dead, meaning lights and instruments. Everything. I work electronics for a living so I do know a short or loose wire. I just don't know where all of the grounds are located so I just wanted a little assist. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Howie

I would still point to the battery, even though it 'tests' fine. How old is it? If over 3 years, replace it.

Minidogger 04-21-2019 06:31 PM

You might want to check/clean/tighten the battery terminals. Also consider the cables could be corroded. When you jump, you are putting (-) on engine block? That could be a hint on where to look.

gpop 04-21-2019 06:42 PM

could be a lot of things but it does sound like a battery. If you are into electronics then do your thing and put a volt meter on the battery and have some one crank the car. If the battery drops below about 10.5 volts its bad (11.5 would be better)

If you jump a car by connecting to the battery terminals then you have to ask how the wire suddenly seems fine when jumping. If on the other hand you are putting the jump ground on the engine then try using a jumper cable from your battery to the engine and see if that works. (there is a ground strap battery side of car from body to engine mount. That is the main ground for the starter)

Also remember there are 2 sides to any circuit so you could be looking at a ground when its a positive cable problem.