North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   Ran out of gas. Now no start! Stuck in parking lot! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/338164-ran-out-of-gas-now-no-start-stuck-in-parking-lot.html)

Squigglesr56 04-20-2019 11:11 AM

Ran out of gas. Now no start! Stuck in parking lot!

Hey yall, so i went to walmart today and went shopping. Came out my mini fired right up idled for about 10 seconds fine then sputtered and died. I tried to restart it stated for 2 or 3 seconds n dode n now wont fire back up. A lil back story replaced the fuel filter about a month ago and broke the fule level sended so now my gauge doesnt read right but have had no issues since.
From my math the mpg my mini reads is about 35 and i put in about 9.75 gal in last fill so thats 341 mi. I drove like 350 i kno dumb but i thought there was more in the tank n worked 12 hrs n didnt feel like stopping last night. Neway my question is after me putting 5 gal in the tank it wont fire tried like 10 times so i figure id let sit and see if this is normal is there a way to like prime the system or should i just keep cranking every few min til it starts? I dont really wana pay for a tow to a shop that wont be open til monday! Thanks for the help!

Fly'n Brick 04-20-2019 03:43 PM

If the tank has run completely empty, be prepared, it could be the fuel pump burned out. It is cooled by the fuel. A good rule of thumb, from now on, taken from almost every pilot..living..that it is far better to burn off the top half of the tank than the bottom.

Squigglesr56 04-21-2019 10:06 AM

I normally keep more than a quarter but with the gauge reading almost a half tank nomatter what its easy to forget. Neway i took the back seat out n tried to hear the pump prime when i open and closed the door it doesnt make any sound. Shouldnt i hear it prime or hum especially wen i take off the plate under the seat? I tried tapping the pump to get it to free up with no luck. All the fuses are good checked today. The car was having a lil rough idle at lights normal mini rough idle never stalled or anything and never had an issue starting this winter even when -20 . Could the low pressure pump going cause the rough idle also mabey its been goin for a while and running low finally killed it?

Squigglesr56 04-22-2019 08:55 AM

I ordered a the pump thinking it must be it because u cant hear it prime and thnking i just burned it up having no gas. So hope wen it gets here tomorrow i can toss it in quick and shell fire up. I hope!

Shawn07R56 04-22-2019 10:00 AM

Sounds like the pumps burnt for sure.

Squigglesr56 04-24-2019 03:40 AM

Update... Put the pump in and she fired up and died. In 2 seconds. I wanted to c if i was actually out of gas so i took the ring off the pump and used a siphon to drain the tank to c what i had. I put about 8 gal in and a lil ove 8 gal came out so i was out of gas.or very close. I used my code reader and it has obd no codes still. But when i read it with a schwabben bmw scan tool it had a bmw codes. Something about the fuel pump relay and valvetronic relay. So i ordered a relay for the pump because there cheap and figured id try it before it went to a shop. I cant do any eletrical testing so idk if the pump is getting power i dont have a meter or feel comfortable with eletrical stuff. Is there a valvetronic relay? I couldnt find any info online on 1 or if it could be related to the fuel pump relay. Also when i pulled the line off that goes to the hpfp it was dry. I thought it should be pressurized i checked again after i tried to start and it was still dry so no fuel is getting up to the hpfp figured id throw that in to.This car blows my mind!

Squigglesr56 04-24-2019 04:00 AM

Is it true you cant just pull out the relay and replace with a new 1? Do i have to have it soldered in or something? I just read it can be part of the fuse box. Ive never heard of this before can anyone shed light on this its a 2013 mcs?

MiniToBe 04-24-2019 03:25 PM

The valvetronic relays is the one behind the ecu right on the fire wall cover. Did you try to spray quick start fluid.

Is there also a chance the HPFP got affected somehow?

Finally, try to directly feed the LPFP. Search newtis.info for the wiring.

Squigglesr56 04-25-2019 08:21 AM

Idk whats goin on my mechanic seems to think that the fuse box got water damaged from my sunroof drains mabey. Its waiting for a tow to the shop today. I described it to him over the phone he said could be anything but he suspects that. So ill keep yall informed. Itll b towed to the shop later today.