Broken thermostat housing bolt in the block...? - North American Motoring

Go Back  North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Broken thermostat housing bolt in the block...? >

Broken thermostat housing bolt in the block...?

Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Old 03-16-2019, 09:51 PM
txcowboy
Neutral

Hello all,

I did something dumb, then I went and did something incredibly stupid and now I am praying for a hail mary. I have a 2010 Mini cooper s auto. I have been working on it and because I don't trust dealers and have been working on my trucks my whole life reckoned I could chase down a little coolant leak. Well during reassembly after replacing all kinds of little hoses, clamps, both water pumps, the coolant pipe I did the unthinkable and broke a bolt off in the engine block. It was one of the thermostat housing bolts. It had been off and back in before and so it had looked a little worse for the wear, so I should have known better and got a new bolt. But I was in a hurry because this was the end of my second day on the car and I was hoping to get it back together. Anyhow, the bolt is now broken off just as I got to the 11 ft-lb.

To accelerate from dumb to really dumb, I then drilled the bolt and placed an extractor and promptly broke the extractor off inside the bolt inside the block. I wasn't making any progress even trying to drill out the extractor with a titanium bit. I don't know what to do at this point.

I do have one of those small MAP torches I might be able to fit in there without melting everything else. I also have a Dremel and reckoned on picking up some diamond bits. Does anyone have another or better idea? If both of these options fail and I drill the whole thing out, what is the likelihood of being able to use one of those EZ coil thread dodads successfully? I ain't ever used one of these in a while and it wasn't in something as crucial as this. Thank you for any insight.

V/r,
Cowboy

Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 AM
dmath
2nd Gear
If it was me, I would get a professional involved at this point.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:02 AM
cooper48
4th Gear
Bummer! Had a similar story with a bolt that held the AC compressor clutch. Broke off, then broke off the extractor, tried drilling it, everything. Ended up having to throw away a working compressor and replace it. +1 above - I would think about towing it to a good machine shop because you may never get a leak-proof seal again unless that bolt is removed.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Soak the hole and treads with PB blaster overnight, go back with a small punch(long nose version and cut a notch in the one side and tap it out in a circle, I did this on a bolt once that would not come out when it broke off.

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...-lines/5yRbE3Y

you over torqued it...it is 8Nm or about 6 ft.lb