Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Fan Staying after car is turned off.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Dantastic
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fan Staying after car is turned off.

Hi Everyone,

So far I after owning my 2013 Cooper Coupe r58 S for over a month I have no regrets.I noticed that the turbo gets hot and makes the bonnet/hood feel very warm I found some old threads on here and found that is normal plus I could here a little pump running in the Turbo I have found from other posts that there is the oil cooling off the turbo I could here a little pump cycling it would eventually turn off.Today I have noticed something new it seems the fan is running after I turned the car off .I even timed for how long it stays on after I turn the engine off it shuts itself off at exactly 10 minutes.One good thing I noticed is that the Turbo is a lot cooler It used to be so hot that it would sizzle if I spit on it.I checked the oil it is good,I checked the coolant level it is good.I called a Mini Mechanic he said it is normal .I am wondering why this has changed.I did take it for a good run on the Turnpike I took it up to 95 mph a couple of times .All the power is there no problem its hard to hear but I think the fan runs a bit with the engine on not sure if that is constant though. Than you in advance for your input.I do have an appointment April 2nd for an oil change and have a a real Mini service look it over.It is 18 f here today so its certainly not a warm day.

Last edited by Dantastic; 03-06-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 03-06-2019, 01:50 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 607 Likes on 583 Posts
On hot days or days i run the A?C on my R58 JCW the fan will kick on afterwards. If it does it all the time for even when the car is cool, then you have a thermostat leak or a coolant leak.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2013-...ng/Thermostat/

On the up to 7/2012 if its never been changed then you will need that part # 12518611289 harness, its linked above: DIY here is you need it. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...owing-hot.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | Local Part Pickup Now Available
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Dantastic
1st Gear
I just tried something different I put the key fob in and pressed the start button without my foot on the brake as if I was going to just listen to the radio and not start the engine and sure enough the fan kicked on it runs all the time as long as the engine is on or accessory is on. I am going to call the mechanic tomorrow let him know that this is not correct if the sensor is bad then it looks like it will need a new thermostat if that is where the censor is.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Dantastic
1st Gear
Thank you for your quick response .Do you have an idea what this repair could cost I have a $500 deductible on my warranty.It thought Mini had this figured out when the 2013s came out In guess not.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 607 Likes on 583 Posts
You are welcome, The parts cost are above and linked (we have the warranty and a good price if you want to get the parts and then had them over to the mechanic) and then add for MINI about $120 and hour, indy shop will be maybe 50-75 and hour dependant on where you are, thermostat if your fast you can do in an hour or so, but it maybe be a couple of hours total with the flush and anything else. Once you get its done with the newest unit you should be fine, we are here for you.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | Local Part Pickup Now Available
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-07-2019, 05:44 AM
Dantastic
1st Gear
This morning I noticed that the two relays are the same I took them out and switched them around everything seems to be back to normal the turbo gets hot as it should the heater works and the fan has not come on after a 2o minute drive .I switched the relays back to their original positions and still working good .I am now hoping it was just a sticky relay if so I guess I should replace both if I don't know for sure which one is the sticky relay.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:45 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I just had this issue where the fan would keep running even in 0 degree weather and no matter how long the engine was on. Ended up being a cracked thermostat housing.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:50 AM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
Received 181 Likes on 163 Posts
I had a similar/same thing happen with the fan running. It turned out that it was the auxiliary water pump to the turbo that had died. This is the little motor that you hear runnning after the car is turned off. This is likely not running now and the fan runs instead. It will throw a code when it happens but it is a buried level code that doesn’t show up in a normal scan, nor does it present a check engine light. One way I knew it wasn’t running was by the oil temperatures I was reading. On your MINI, you can read oil temp with a ScanGageII.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:52 AM
Dantastic
1st Gear
I am hoping my issue is just a sticky relay My fan has not come on since I took out both relays and reinstalled .I am sure I will find out soon enough My daughter has a Saab 9-5 I have replaced oid relays on her car thats what gave me the Idea to start there.I am usually not that lucky when it warms up on a long drive that will be the test. I really appreciate every one sharing ideas and experience.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:59 AM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ShipM8 View Post
I just had this issue where the fan would keep running even in 0 degree weather and no matter how long the engine was on. Ended up being a cracked thermostat housing.
Interesting...

My thermostat died around the same time as or just after the aux water pump died; that did throw a code and a check engine light. Both of those showed up on the ScanGage. The thermostat showed up as a fluctuating water temperature.

If it is just a relay, that would be good...

Dantastic - Also, there was a recall on the aux water pump. You might want to check if applies to your car and if it was done.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:04 AM
Dantastic
1st Gear
Thanks for the info ,I had just responded I am not sure how this forum works and do not know if our replies crossed,I took out the Relays and put them back in the fan has not come back on I am hoping it was just a sticky relay if so I would be more than happy to get 2 relays from you because I don't know which one is bad.I need to give it time and see if that was the problem the only way for me to know is to drive it around and listen for the fan when I start it and turn it off.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:12 AM
Dantastic
1st Gear
eddie07s:I will check into that recall.The turbo seems to be working It is so cold here today it is 4 degrees f .I think all this cold weather and winter potholes is raising hell with my car.I am hoping it was just a relay but I an typically not that lucky.I have an extended warranty but the shops are so busy its just a pain waiting for service.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:59 AM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
Sounds like here in the NE. About 8 deg when I got up. Brrrrrrr!

BMW/MINI didn’t do well with the aux water pump and it seems that they try to hide its failure mode. The N18 engine that you have seems to be pretty robust and there is very little about turbo failures here on NAM. The design seems to cover the bases to help with that. The turbo is oil lubricanted and water cooled and they use an auxiliary water pump to do the cooling. The problem that I ran into is that without the auxiliary water pump running the turbo really cooks the oil. For me this was a real problem as I run my MINI on the track and the engine oil was getting way too hot (270 - 280 deg by the ScanGage). This didn’t throw a check engine light and I was stuck guessing about it. The dealer didn’t even seem to be concerned. But, BMW/MINI programmed the ECU to see this happening and has the fan run extra to “try to save the turbo”. However, while turbo will seem to be fine, over time, if this isn’t corrected, I could see this causing damage. It is a shame that BMW/MINI doesn’t have this throw a check engine light.

Sorry for the rant. And it seems that you have your issue resolved. So look at this as just FYI. I really hope you have years of enjoyment with your car. I really like the Coupe and I looked seriously about getting one when I got my hatch. At the time I thought having the slightly larger MINI would suit me better. All is well now on my MINI since I had this repaired.

A side note - Living in the great NE I greatly understand about the pothole and what not. A suggestion is to replace the shocks, even if yours are considered to be fine. There are much better shocks out there for this car. I was surprised when I put Bilstein B8 shocks on my S. These are their street/track performance shocks and I thought the ride would suffer. The ride actually improve, as did the handling. These actually made the runflat tires tolerable. Not that I would recommend those, there are others (like their B4s or B6, or the Koni FSD/Active, which we have on our other MINI) that would make great options. Also, I run the 16” wheels, not the 17”. If interested, I can post a link to a really good thread about shocks for MINIs.

Motor On! And Enjoy!

Last edited by Eddie07S; 03-07-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Dantastic (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Dantastic
1st Gear
Thanks for all the info ,and yes the r 58 is small I sell Real estate so its just me and my computer bag and a lot of driving for insurance reasons we are no longer supposed to drive our clients around. I have put a sign and post in the passthrough once because my sign guy wss not answering his phone l and it actually fit lol.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
I’ve surprised people at Home Depot and Lowes when I load a few 8’ 2x4s into my Cooper and close the hatch. Fits perfectly into the passenger foot area.

Got to love these cars...