Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Fluid Bolt and Turbo Oil Line question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:48 AM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Fluid Bolt and Turbo Oil Line question

I am about to reinstall my turbo and noticed the turbo oil line (the one that goes to the front center of the block) has loose banjo bolt ends on both sides. This looks to be a new line as it still has a label attached to it. Is this ok? This is the feed line. I did watch a couple of videos and others have them loose but they don’t know if they are bad.

Also, decided to change the washers to the 3 fluid bolts. All of them have copper washers but my head gasket kit has 4 aluminum and 2 copper washers and they seem to fit the bolts. Is that correct?

See pic of oil line.

Last edited by jjcsnlynn; 02-23-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:43 PM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Figured this out. Ordered the braided line kit.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Currently, it looks to not be leaking, but they all do at some point even if they have been replaced once. We also see a lot of oil leaks at the oil filter housing seal. one thing you can do to slow it down is to let the car idle before shutting it down. Especially after track days or freeway driving! a hot turbo just makes everything fail. Allowing the oil to be cooled in the oil cooler as well as it works to cool the turbo and all moving parts, and the coolant going thru the turbo...30 seconds have really lower temps to help prolong the engine and all its parts. but when you need it, we have a kit to fix all the problems: https://www.detroittuned.com/dt-turb...ine-super-kit/

Chad
Detroit Tuned

Old 03-01-2019, 03:51 PM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Turbo Fluid Bolt opening size?

So I picked up a Oil Feed Line kit from Kinugawa Turbo. The kit is well made but didn’t have directions. The original fluid bolts (bolt thar holds banjo fittings) have 1/4 inch openings for the oil flow at the block and turbo. The ones that come with the kit have 1/8 inch at the block end and a taper to 1.5mm at the turbo end.

I called Kinugawa and the confirmed this and told me they turbo gets too much (or more than it needs) oil with the original setup and can be damaged. This bolt will increase the oil pressure in the engine while allowing the right amount of oil to the turbo.

I am concerned that this may starve the turbo bearings.

I have it installed already so I hope its ok. But will pull it out If I need to.

Anyone ever heard of this?

Last edited by jjcsnlynn; 03-01-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:17 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jjcsnlynn

So I picked up a Oil Feed Line kit from Kinugawa Turbo. The kit is well made but didn’t have directions. The original fluid bolts (bolt thar holds banjo fittings) have 1/4 inch openings for the oil flow at the block and turbo. The ones that come with the kit have 1/8 inch at the block end and a taper to 1.5mm at the turbo end.

I called Kinugawa and the confirmed this and told me they turbo gets too much (or more than it needs) oil with the original setup and can be damaged. This bolt will increase the oil pressure in the engine while allowing the right amount of oil to the turbo.

I am concerned that this may starve the turbo bearings.

I have it installed already so I hope its ok. But will pull it out If I need to.

Anyone ever heard of this?
I would not use the restrictor bolts. The factory would have put that in place if it was needed. We only used the factory bolts as many of the aftermarket ones are not even the same quality metal and break when installing them. We highly recommend the larger opening. https://www.detroittuned.com/dt-turb...ine-super-kit/ or https://www.detroittuned.com/mini-tu...e-banjo-bolts/

Chad
Detroit Tuned