Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Oil foam on oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 06:04 AM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Oil foam on oil cap

Wow i havent seen oil foam or froth for a long time so was shocked and scared when i took my oil cap off and noticed the inside of the oil cap had some “yellow” oil froth/foam on it.
now understand its winter and condensation happens which can create said foamy froth. But this bothers me... a lot and we see this in people catch cans. Which makes me want to install mine even more now but am having a helluva time finding the right parts for the hose on the N18 engine
im using mobile 1 5w/30
the oil is not quite 3 months old
it held its normal tan color almost this whole time until a couple weeks ago when i noticed it was finally turning black.
i can only imagine how much of this gunk is getting pulled into the turbo and am taking off the small tube the feeds the turbo inlet from the valve cover to look at that too but what do you guys think?
Should i be concerned or pretty normal for winter with these engines?

Last edited by cyberlunacy; 02-23-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:51 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Shorter drive intervals will cause this to happen. N18 engine ventilation is much better than that of N14 engine hence the catch can on them.
try to drive the car longer in each run and see if that changes anything.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:26 AM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Shorter drive intervals will cause this to happen. N18 engine ventilation is much better than that of N14 engine hence the catch can on them.
try to drive the car longer in each run and see if that changes anything.
​​​​​​​i wish i could i live too close to work.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:44 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
that not a bad thing, lol....you just have to take it out longer on the weekends maybe. but at least now you know the answer to your question

The following users liked this post:
cyberlunacy (02-25-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 11:38 AM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
that not a bad thing, lol....you just have to take it out longer on the weekends maybe. but at least now you know the answer to your question
thank you sir i appreciate you takin the time.
the winter hasnt been kind on my car. I already have the death rattle and have an appointment for a possible $1400 timing chain replacement. It only rattles a little for a few minutes after a cold start but that, the oil foam, odd slight surging idle, wierd idle at a stop light and overall just running.. wierd, just has me a little worried.
The place that is going to do the work said they might be able to do the HPFP under factory extended warranty and i asked about the turbo if the wastegate is bad they would look at that too and see if that is possible since i am still under 120k. They said they would look at possibly doing both. I have an aftermarket extended warranty on the car thats going to cover all this work regardless but overall something has changed in the last week that wasnt there the last two months

Old 02-25-2019, 05:17 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
there are few factors to consider depending on your mileage. some of these include carbon build up, last major maintenance item, and if there is oil or air leak. certainly, the car wont be too happy with shorter runs as it doesnt give it time to heat up the oil and process all the vapors/fumes it makes.

it also might be a coincident this happens because of the timing chain. the answer lies under the valve cover.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:23 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
there are few factors to consider depending on your mileage. some of these include carbon build up, last major maintenance item, and if there is oil or air leak. certainly, the car wont be too happy with shorter runs as it doesnt give it time to heat up the oil and process all the vapors/fumes it makes.

it also might be a coincident this happens because of the timing chain. the answer lies under the valve cover.
i noticed yesterday and today an odd sucking noise or high pitched blowing noise,mcant tell which, that wasnt there before. I checked the intake tube and all looks well but i havent removed it looking for cracks in yet yet.
The surge is just a couple hundred rpms after starting it, i cant tell if its just the cold and the computer trying to do its job or what but something is wrong, just need to figure it out or let the mechics find it. No codes are showing on the schwaben but doesnt it aint off.
but slightly running rough is literal, some may not notice it, i do, it wasnt there before.
lastly there is an odd noise, only happened maybe three times, that sounds like an old water pump going out. Like an 80's or 70's carburated engine where the bearings are going out on the water pump. It aint all the time, and only during startup. If i shut off the car wait a few seconds and start again it goes away. That scared me more than the timing chain noise because that sound could be anything, and it doesnt happen enough to know where its coming from. As i type this i suppose it could be turbo bearings from the extreme cold but that means its bad.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:27 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
I am paranoid about odd noises and after timing chain replacement mine was still a slightly rough idle, I know what you are saying, nobody else would have noticed it. In order to sleep at night I replaced the vacuum pump, not a huge expense and a simple job. Idle is now rock solid and brakes are improved. Hard to say with your car, odd noises and bearing sounds... I would at least take the pump off and make sure there is oil getting in there and it is not dry - this thing can totaly your engine if it seizes (there you go, paranoia).

Old 02-28-2019, 07:13 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
well car is now at the Shop
tomorrow they will open it up and see if it really is the timing chain/guides rattling along with put on the new drilled/slotted brakes and rotors i got because its just too cold to work in my garage for me to put them on even though i have an LP heater, its not enough to warm the garage.
they will check for turbo warranty replacement and HPFP even though the doc posted here shows my build month doesnt fall in it they will see what they can find out.
i tried as best i could to describe the other noises that have shown up in the last few weeks but i fear they wont find it.
also told them to build a plan for things that need replaced in the future (so i can find out what i can fix and cant fix) along with anything they find that needs immediate replacement.
hopefully its the timing chain only, they can get it done tomorrow no problem.
then lets pray for warm weather so i can get my baby beefed up and ready to tear up the pavement.!