Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

EML + Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 07:29 AM
gpskipton
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
EML + Check Engine

I have done some searching, but nothing found exactly like my issue.

I have 85K miles on my 2006 S. I have a full blown scanning tool. My issue... sometimes when driving the EML AND Check Engine light comes on for a few seconds, then back off. When it kicks in, the engine dogs in power (almost like misfiring). It literally lasts for only a few seconds, then back to normal. Imagine driving as usually, suddenly the lights come on and it is like the engine stopped running for 2-5 seconds, then lights off and back to normal.

I did a complete scan (albeit the lights were not on at the time) and the only thing that came up was an alternator code about high current or something. I did get a code a while back (3 months ago) that I cleared about the airflow at the intake or something, but that never came back once cleared.

I have a stock motor + 17% pulley and cooler plugs. I also have a new ATI crank pulley. I do know that the belt is freyed a bit and needs changing. Could it be a belt slip? This morning I pulled out my motor to harness plug and blew it out and plugged it back in. I read about the harness sometimes causing issues.

THX

Old 02-18-2019, 06:42 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Replace the belt it could be slipping. If it’s frayed it should have been replaced long ago.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:53 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
& check all the battery & ground connections!
Clean, Bright & Tight!

Old 02-20-2019, 12:16 PM
gpskipton
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I replaced the belt, but I have not driven it long enough to see if the issue pops up. The old belt was still tight, just frayed. A couple of weeks ago I had the top bolt (when the tensioner tool is placed) of the tensioner fall out. The ALTA stop worked great and actually caught the tensioner. Believe it or not it held long enough for me to drive home like that. The only consequence was the belt was damaged a little due to it not being exactly aligned.