North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   2013 Hatchback (R56) Stuttering at ignition. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/335956-2013-hatchback-r56-stuttering-at-ignition.html)

Mikeypizzle 02-11-2019 10:08 PM

2013 Hatchback (R56) Stuttering at ignition.

Hey all! New here and new Mini owner.

So I bought my Mini used in November 2018. 2013 with 65k miles. It has ran totally fine up until this morning.

Drove all the way to work, shut it off and gave the keys to the valet (I'm not fancy I swear). He went to start it up and move it, when i heard the sound of it stuttering and not fully firing up. So I hop back in give it try and same thing, start to fire up, stutters and then fails. Gave it about 30 seconds and it turned over fine and started up. But also the check engine light popped on. COOL!

Work ends and I head home. Thankfully fired up just fine. The whole drive listening and to her and doing my normal drive. No issues at all. Get home and shut her down, then notice that the radiator fan is CRANKING, now I know it does this kinda, but not this loud or long. So just to test I tried turning her back on and boom same problem, stutter but not fully starting.

My first thought was (because of the radiator fan) that maybe she was overheating. Let her cool down and then checked the fluid and was definitely low, which makes sense since i had noticed some leaks on the driveway, but not any crazy amount. So then I go to Autozone and get some more fluid and top her off. Go for a little drive to get it all circulating, but still have the same problem.

Now it may just take a little time and I'm gonna check the levels in the morning. But also checking all avenues before investing more money. Next stop will be an OBD2 reader, if necessary.

Hoping you guys can help. Thanks ahead of time.

MiniToBe 02-12-2019 06:30 AM

OBD reading is first after topping the coolant. It might be a simple misfire for bad/going bad coil or spark plug. get the codes checked out first them you'll know what you're dealing with :)

Jan Poole 02-12-2019 07:06 AM

My R60 is doing the same thing, happened twice now. What OBD reader do you recommend?

MiniToBe 02-12-2019 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jan Poole (Post 4449828)
My R60 is doing the same thing, happened twice now. What OBD reader do you recommend?

personally, i have carsoft i910, but it wont read beyond 2012 models. For what's it worth, I recommend ISTAD with K+Dcan cable.

Minidogger 02-12-2019 07:27 AM

I am happy with schwaben tool from ECS, a site supplier.

ECSTuning 02-12-2019 08:24 AM

Schwaben MINI Cooper Scan tool :

"Click HERE to shop MINI Cooper Scan Tool"

https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/824605_x800.webp

Hey thats my R58 JCW in the pic. ;)

Jan Poole 02-13-2019 11:59 AM

thanks all. It now will not stay running so I can not use my son's OBD on it to get the codes. 2011 Countryman all4

sawicki 02-13-2019 04:01 PM

Why would you need the car running to check the codes. If its a manual just press the start button with out pushing the clutch in and it should allow you to pull the codes. Your symptoms sound like a failing High Pressure Fuel Pump.

Jan Poole 02-26-2019 07:33 AM

My car is an automatic. The High Pressure Fuel Pump has been replaced once in 2014, but that is what we are thinking also.

sawicki 02-26-2019 09:13 AM

If your car is an Auto just press the start button without putting your foot on the brake. This will put the car into acc and allow you to pull codes.

Jan Poole 02-27-2019 04:35 PM

Thanks will try that tomorrow. Also if the tank is low between empty and half would the fuel pump have a more difficult time keeping the engine running(since it is failing)?

sawicki 02-27-2019 05:50 PM

Fuel level shouldn’t have an effect on the car unless you are very very low. Chances are either your in tank low pressure pump is failing or the Engine mounted high pressure pump is. Usually the high pressure pump will throw misfire codes or a low rail pressure code.