Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

ABS and traction control light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:32 AM
avan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS and traction control light on

Mini Cooper S 2004: Been having this issue where the ABS and traction control light turn on simultaneously when im driving and sometimes it goes off. both lights come and go. and they both trigger one another. it snowed a couple days ago and i tested out my ABS system and it seems to be working fine. im not quite sure what the issue is that is causeing these lights to go off.
also my tire pressure light is on even though all tires are fine. not sure if it all relates to one problem

Old 01-22-2019, 04:53 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
bad wheel speed sensor - ABS and traction control need this input

unfortunately you need to do some investigating to determine which corner

tire light is on because GEN1 uses wheel rotation speed to determine a low pressure situation (low pressure = smaller diameter = rotation speed changes)

search for "trifecta" ....... a common issue

if it 'comes and goes' it MIGHT just be loose, or an intermittent break in the wire so a physical inspection might be a place to start ... but not fun in snow!

https://www.outmotoring.com/abs-pulse-generator.html

Last edited by Capt_bj; 01-22-2019 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Acurtis
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem with my 05 a couple months ago. I unplugged the ABS controller smeared a small amount of dielectric grease on the plug and reattached it and no more problems. I needed to do it in my ford f350 years ago on the injector computer. Saved me a couple Grand then too. A Curtis PS you need to pry the clip up all the way to remove the plug.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:28 PM
SlowLearner
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New member here, I have a similar issue. I tried cleaning the abs sensors. No luck. I checked everything short of scanning it. My scanner dosent work, got new one coming. I got a specific question when I pulled sensors out they looked great nothing on them (I know looks are deceiving). I noticed I could not see a abs ring down below the sensor am I missing something? Thanks for ur help, oh I have a 06 mini cooper non s with a checkmate package.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:16 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 134 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowLearner
New member here, I have a similar issue. I tried cleaning the abs sensors. No luck. I checked everything short of scanning it. My scanner dosent work, got new one coming. I got a specific question when I pulled sensors out they looked great nothing on them (I know looks are deceiving). I noticed I could not see a abs ring down below the sensor am I missing something? Thanks for ur help, oh I have a 06 mini cooper non s with a checkmate package.
gonna need to scan for codes. Inpa could do it