Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 06:21 AM
iXMrBulldopsXi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump

Recently just swapped out a bad fuel pump out of my 04 mcs, for one out of a 06 s cabrio due to mine failing. Since it has been swapped out my reading on the dash is incorrect would anyone be able to help me identify the issue.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
How far off is it? Let guess, 1/4 tank? The fuel system transfers fuel from the right side to the left side via a siphoning system. Both sides have a sending unitbthat measures fuel by averaging. If the fuel on the right is not being transferred to the left then you can have fuel remaining on the right side and be dry on the left where the fuel pump is located. When you replaced the pump you may have created a leak that is breaking the siphon effect. Can’t tell you how to solve this other than open up both sides and check the connections. It possible that you right side filter unit is bad. Since your vehicle and the donor are older it’s possible that all parts are worn out.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:27 AM
iXMrBulldopsXi
1st Gear
It's off by about a 1/4 of a tank a little more actually on my dash read out. It was &empty just over a 1/4 tank and it only fills to 3/4s of a tank. Also only telling my range I have 251 miles left to the tank. When my old pump read out was 350+/- that when full

Old 01-15-2019, 09:32 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
It’s probably the balance issue between the two sides unless you possibly jammed the float somehow and it’s not swinging freely. Have you run out of gas? I would try opening up the pump side and repositioning everything. Also you can verify if there is actually fuel on the pump side when it reads 1/4.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:04 AM
iXMrBulldopsXi
1st Gear
I ran out of gas this morning with the gas gauge at 1/4 of a tank. I think a repositioning might be the solution. Or at least I'm hoping. I'll have to look at it over the weekend when I'm not working.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:36 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
The problem most likely due to someone mishandled the fuel level float arm. It is very easy to bend it and not realized it. It applies all cars. The problem is definitely not because of a bad electrical connection, but how the bent arm (yes, that feeble clothes hanger steel wire looking thing) affect the angle of the potentiometer. I don't know off hand where the float assembly is, though I vague remember seeing photos that it is with the pump side assembly.

Your best bet is to try to restore the lever arm geometry to factory ratio (yes, WRT the potentiometer).

Old 01-15-2019, 03:48 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Take my word on this. There is a float assembly on both sides. If you ran out of gas at 1/4 tank it’s because there was no fuel on the pump side (drivers side). There’s another assembly on the left where the fuel filter goes. That side was registering 1/4 tank because there was fuel on that side that didn’t transfer over to the drivers side. Fuel is sucked up by the pump on the drivers side. Engine ran out; no fuel for the pump to suck.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:24 PM
iXMrBulldopsXi
1st Gear
How would I go about resetting it back to factory default?

Old 01-15-2019, 08:51 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
I don’t know if a way to reset it. It is most likely a fault in the system that balances the fuel from the right side to the left side. you can try removing the pump and reinstalling just in case the float on that side was hung up, but I doubt it. You ran out at 1/4 most likely because the right side of the tank had fuel in it and was registering it via the float on that side. The drivers side was probably empty because the system that is supposed to transfer fuel right to left is faulty. The only way to verify this is to open up the left side when it runs out of gas and visually check to see if there is fuel on that side.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:37 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Let's not forget that corrosion of the electrical plug (at tank) can also cause reading errors and not uncommon to gen 1 Mini.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:30 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
The only way you can definitively verify what’s happening is to run the tank down till it reads 1/4. Then pump out a gallon or so. Start the vehicle and see if it quits. If it does, pull the pump and check the fuel level. If it’s dry then you can open the filter side and verify whether or not there is fuel on that side. I know that’s a pain in the butt, but you can thank BMW for designing a vehicle with a split tank and two sending units. If there was only one sending unit it would simplify things immensely. Clean the connections as ItsMeWayne suggested.