North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   08 s cranks but no start... tried everything. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/334945-08-s-cranks-but-no-start-tried-everything.html)

ka0tyk 01-10-2019 01:56 AM

08 s cranks but no start... tried everything.

Went to hop in the wife's r56 and the battery was dead. Ended up replacing the battery with a H6 (more cca, shouldnt prevent a start but I do need to register battery still). After putting in new battery car cranks fine, but will not start. It acts like it wants to with a little sputter but never actually fires. So far I have done the following:

No odbii codes or lights on dash.
No mini codes registered, checked via Carly. ( i do have a carly adapter and pro along with torque pro to check things if necessary)
Checked all fuses under hood, all fine.
Checked all fuses in passenger footwell, all fine.
Checked for spark with in line ignition tester. All 4 had a nice strong light.
Tossed a set of new bosch plugs in anyways.
Checked for fuel pressure, shows 80psi in torque and carly after fuel pump primes.
Checked for fuel pressure when cranking, jumps up to 800+ psi.
Pulled valve cover and checked timing with tool in the flywheel and the brackets on the cams, dead on.
Checked compression in cylinders, all within 10% of each other.
Tossed a new HPFP anyways after everyone on FB group said it was the hpfp, still no start.
Removed fuse panel from car and checked to see if anything looks damaged... all looks fine.
Removed fuel pump to inspect and it works fine with 12v applied.
Put new fuel filter in on other side since I was 75% of the way there with the back seat out anyways since it has 100k miles.
Pulled crankshaft position sensor from my 09 and swapped em, no start.

I'm at a loss on where to go and what to try next. I even pulled back the loom at the coil harness and fuel injector harness looking for possible shorts and a good ground at the coil/valve cover. I can provide pics/video of just about anything I've done so far.

pinntucky 01-10-2019 10:14 AM

Spark, Fuel and Compression are all that is required to run a gas engine. If everything was running fine before the dead battery, i wouldn't suspect Compression was lost or that the timing jumped. Do you have any kind of anti-theft or immobilizer on the car? A hard reset might mess with something like that. To me it seems the computer got mad about something and is withholding the spark. You've checked compression and fuel. Did the battery just get tired or was there some sort of electrical event that caused its demise?

MiniToBe 01-11-2019 08:27 PM

do you have another keyfob to test with?

ClubmanG 01-14-2019 03:18 AM

I checked the Bentley manual and found the following on page 121-11
-If higher rating battery is installed, re code CAS with correct battery specifications using MINI scan tool.
-Register battery.

I think you only need to register if you have IBS(Intelligent battery sensor).
Not all MINIs come equipped with IBS. An IBS-equipped car can be quickly identified by the electronics integrated in the terminal end of the negative battery cable.