Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R55 misfiring, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:00 AM
Monk Edsel
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R55 misfiring, won't start

Hi every one... I don't use my car very often, and after a week of it being parked I drove it to go to the store today.

I was a few blocks away from home when the car started misfiring rather badly. If the car was up to speed it was okay, but when idling it would be rough. After stopping at a red light I hit the throttle, and the engine stopped completely after a period of about 5 sluggish seconds. I was able to wrench the wheel and push it into a parking spot with some help.
These are the codes the car is throwing. It is also showing a new error related to one of the DSC wheel sensors, but I assume that is completely unrelated.

Engine / Motor

Fault Code: 00296D

Fault Explanation: DFES DTCM.DFC EpmCaSO1OfsErr C - exhaust camshaft

Fault Code: 002783

Fault Explanation: DFES DTCM.DFC MDnpl C - misfire, several cylinders

Fault Code: 002773

Fault Explanation: DFES DTCM.DFC MD00npl C - Misfiring, Cylinder 1

Fault Code: 002777

Fault Explanation: DFES DTCM.DFC MD01npl C - Misfiring, Cylinder 3

Fault Code: 00277B

Fault Explanation: DFES DTCM.DFC MD02npl C - misfire, cylinder 4

Fault Code: 00277F

Fault Explanation: DFES DTCM.DFC MD03npl C - Misfiring, Cylinder 2

Fault Code: 002781

Fault Explanation: DFES DTCM.DFC MDmax C - misfire, several cylinders

Fault Code: 002771

Fault Explanation: DFES DTCM.DFC MD00max C - Misfiring, Cylinder 1

Fault Code: 002775

Fault Explanation: DFES DTCM.DFC MD01max C - Misfiring, Cylinder 3

Fault Code: 002779

Fault Explanation: DFES DTCM.DFC MD02max C - misfire, cylinder 4

The engine sounds like it is turning over very slowly when I try to start it, but it won't actually start. I ended up pushing it to a more secure location, and I tried to start it a last time. It sounded stronger then, but it still would not start. I am currently planning to return in a few hours and seeing if it will start then.

If any one has some insight on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:14 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
what year is it, is it a justa or an S and how many miles?

I dont think you should try starting it just yet. open the valve cover and take a look to make sure all is good. also, how good is the oil level?

The following users liked this post:
Monk Edsel (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Monk Edsel
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
what year is it, is it a justa or an S and how many miles?

I dont think you should try starting it just yet. open the valve cover and take a look to make sure all is good. also, how good is the oil level?
It's Justa 2010. I added a quart of Castrol the last time I drove it. I think the oil was changed around 3,000 miles ago, and this is the first time it has been topped off. It was down to the low mark on the dipstick after driving it a bit, so I added one quart per the manual.

Before I added the oil, the throttle had started to sometimes bog when the car was accelerating from a stop. It would take a few seconds for it to "unstick." Then it would be normal. It only happened a few times, maybe three, over the course of two days. After I added the oil, the car seemed happy again. Then I parked it, and have not driven it until today.

Initially, I thought the rough idle was due to a bad cylinder coil on cylinder 2. But a bad coil could not cause this...? I tried changing the coil anyway and of course there is no difference.

Right now the car is still a few blocks away, so I can't look at anything else at the moment. But I am having the car brought back tomorrow, so I will be able to see then.

It occurred to me that maybe the engine is not getting enough fuel? I cleaned the air filter a few months ago, and the battery and alternator seem okay. It is a high-mileage car, over 166k. The battery seems original, but I didn't get any low voltage warnings when I read the codes today.

Last edited by Monk Edsel; 10-17-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Added mileage, autocorrect