Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

crank, no start, P0342 code

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 PM
kylehlub
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crank, no start, P0342 code

Friend drove her 2009 Mini Cooper S to my house. She just bought it from dealer and only put 500 miles on it. When she was leaving, the car won't start and only click. We took the battery to get it tested. They said it still had 50% charge but the battery is bad so we got new one. After putting in new battery, it now cranks but won't turn over. Got a code reader and it's giving me a P0340, P0341, P0342 code. All are camshaft code. Got a new camshaft sensor, still crank no start. I thought maybe sensor may not compatible so I got another one from different store, still crank no start. I replaced all the spark plugs, I bang on the fuel pump, I checked all camshaft wiring, but still not work. We towed it to a shop, a few hours later, they called saying it needed an engine replacement, wanting 8k. I asked them how did they come to this conclusion and what test did they do to conclude this, especially when they call me in only a few hours and likely only spent 30-60 min on it. They won't give me an answer but just said they are certain it's the engine. Of course, we rejected it as she only bought the car for 5.5k and we can just get a new Mini for 8k. I drain her oil twice to check for metal sheaving in case her engine is actually bad but both times, oil were clean. My next step it to bang on the starter but the starter isn't easy to get to so if anyone got any other ideas or had resolve this problem, greatly appreciate it as her car is now sitting in my garage. We tried contacting the dealer that she bought it from but they went out of business a week after she bought it. Bummer.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:41 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Sorry to hear about this issue. Bookmark these two sites: newtis.info amd realoem.com

Next, what year is the car and is it an S or base model, auto or stick. Does the engine turn but doesn't start? Or it continues to click?

Remove the valve cover and take a look at the timing chain to verify the mechanical parts are still healthy.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:07 PM
kylehlub
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Sorry to hear about this issue. Bookmark these two sites: newtis.info amd realoem.com

Next, what year is the car and is it an S or base model, auto or stick. Does the engine turn but doesn't start? Or it continues to click?

Remove the valve cover and take a look at the timing chain to verify the mechanical parts are still healthy.
2009 S auto. The engine cranks but won't turn over. Today, we tested the ignition coil to see if it's giving out spark and it is. My friend bang on the starter while I crank and still won't turn over. Our next step is like u said, take off the valve cover to see if the mechanical parts are fine. The car is on 94,000 miles and it's in pretty good shape so we're confused at this point.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:43 PM
cpmetz
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Does "crank but doesn't turn over" mean that starter tries to turn the crank, but it gets stuck? Or it just doesn't start? The shop probably thinks it's the dreaded timing chain, and pistons hit the valves.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:43 PM
kylehlub
Neutral
Originally Posted by cpmetz
Does "crank but doesn't turn over" mean that starter tries to turn the crank, but it gets stuck? Or it just doesn't start? The shop probably thinks it's the dreaded timing chain, and pistons hit the valves.
It just cranks. The engine shakes but won't turn over or start. The only code I get are camshaft sensor code. I tried a 3rd camshaft sensor today, just to make sure the first two I tried aren't defected and still same thing.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:13 PM
cpmetz
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
You should open up the valve cover and prepare for the worst. Probably jumped timing or the chain is gone and now the pistons are stuck against a valve (interference engine). Maybe vacuum pump seized and locks the exhaust side (and then took out timing).

Or not.

I would stop buying cam shaft sensors and open it up.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:14 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
I'm a bit confused over 'crank' & 'shake' & 'turn over'.
When you go to start the engine, does the starter motor work & the engine spin over / rotate?
If it does not, try rotating the engine backward a little - not easy, but you should be able to move a pulley by hand.
If it does, try the cheap stuff first. Clean all the battery & engine grounds thoroughly. Take the plugs out & spin the engine.
Do a compression test if you can.