Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Gremlins! P2188, temp, lights questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 AM
Machine
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gremlins! P2188, temp, lights questions

Ok, So i bought an 07 S with 80 K on it. So far, ive done the timing chain and guides (old ones looked great, but I have no maintenance records), spark plugs and oil change. I have and AOS - only mod I know of. Generally, car runs good. After you clear the codes, it pulls hella strong - but with a rough idle. I haven't been beating on it, because I think it needs a water pump (whine coming from pass side and i saw coolant after timing set replacement). Then, after a day of driving, the next day it seems the turbo is limited. No CEL yet. Then, the day after that, driving it with limited turbo (im assuming its in the the 5psi boost limp mode), CEL P2188 comes on (2 times its stored), and still drives the same (in the boost limited mode). I know the valve cover is cracked and leaking, i have a new one on the way (I am trying the $70 el cheapo as an experiment). So, along with a good old MAF sensor cleaning, walnut blast and new valve cover, What else can I check and how likely are the following culprits?

Leaking fuel injector or pressure regulator,
High fuel pressure condition,
Faulty Bank one Oxygen (O2) Sensor?

Now, for the Gremlins : flickering puddle and hush panel, dome lights (very erratic). My damn front left wheel keeps coming loose (like 1 x a week!) after torquing lugnuts to 110 ft-lbs, I even swapped a rim and still does it. I torqued them to 140 ft-lbs and waiting to see it it happens again.

Temp lights - my green temp light flashed on for a minute and went away. I pulled over immediately and waited, it was fine after that. Then, yesterday my RED temp light flashed on and off. Turned on heat , seemed fine. Discovered low coolant (1/3 gal) and oil ( 2 quarts ) was low. Drove it today without lights or issue. Are these things REALLY that bad on oil consumption? I only have about 500 miles since a full synthetic (and Synth Lucas stabilizer) oil change. No smoke, but a little oil collects on bottom of the trans. I assume it from the Valve Cover? Is there a good aftermarket gauge cluster for Oil pSI, boost psi, oil temp, and coolant temp? I hate not knowing the coolant temps.

AND THE SUNROOF DOESNT OPEN or even move! It just grinds really bad. Ill deal with that later.

And, after the gremlins are killed, whats the best $1000 perf upgrade(s) i can do? Turbo/intercooler hoses, exhaust and CAI? (and a tune)

Ive been turning wrenches for ~ 20 years as hobby, so im pretty good with diagnosing problems - but i dont know Jack Sh*T about turbos. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Old 08-17-2018, 08:45 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I have found on the gen 2 Minis, that the maf is often the issue, even though it seems to test well. The downstream O2 sensor is often a problem also.
It seem like every time I work on one of these, it is an endless nightmare to get right, then all of a sudden it is good to go!
Remember the maf will determine the fuel mixture, but while trying to adjust, can make it run rich or lean. 14 to 1 is goal.
Here is another problem, that I have had to fix a few times. The intake hose, where it connects to the turbo, will crack and leak, due to heat from the turbo cooking the hose.
I hope you are able to sort this out sooner than later!
Good Luck!