North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   Misfires after replacing plugs and coils (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/330696-misfires-after-replacing-plugs-and-coils.html)

O51R15 08-16-2018 05:43 AM

Misfires after replacing plugs and coils

Hye guys, Just had a quick question. I was getting misfires abck in Marchish and I replaced the plugs and everything seemed fine after that. Recently, I started getting a rough idle and I got codes for misfires again. So I replaced the coils as well since i didn't do that witht he plugs. I'm still getting these misfires and it's really frustrating me. So, What are the next things to look into? My first thought was fuel pump and a buddy told me to check/clean the VANOS sensors but before I do anything, I'd like to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Thanks for any insight and help you guys can provide.

2007 Mini Cooper, Non-S
125,XXX miles

The codes I'm getting are:
P0300 - Powertrain (current fault)
P0301 - Powertrain (pending fault)
P0303 - Powertrain (pending fault)
P0304 - Powertrain (pending fault)
P1434 - Powertrain (pending fault)

mdsbrain 08-16-2018 06:08 AM

Have you ever had the intake valves walnut blasted?

O51R15 08-16-2018 06:27 AM

Not since I've had the car. What is it? How/where would I go about doing it/getting it done?

mdsbrain 08-16-2018 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by O51R15 (Post 4414202)
Not since I've had the car. What is it? How/where would I go about doing it/getting it done?

Its not an easy operation which requires removing the air intake, intake runners and walnut blasting the intake valves. Some independent shops (and MINI) do it, its not usually cheap.
Costing $400-700 typically.

This video covers the process well:

O51R15 08-16-2018 07:45 AM

God dang man. I'm just trying to keep the damn thing running but it's starting to seem like I should just cut my losses. I love the little car but at the same time, I'm sick of paying more and more for it.

mdsbrain 08-16-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by O51R15 (Post 4414220)
God dang man. I'm just trying to keep the damn thing running but it's starting to seem like I should just cut my losses. I love the little car but at the same time, I'm sick of paying more and more for it.

lol I bet some troubleshooting from someone familiar with MINIs can give you better recomendations. Or wait til someone else responds to this thread.

O51R15 08-16-2018 07:55 AM

@mdsbrain: Thanks for the reply though, it's now two places I've been told to look that seem a good bit cheaper than replacing the HPFP.

mkov608 08-16-2018 02:39 PM

Misfires

Originally Posted by O51R15 (Post 4414189)
Hye guys, Just had a quick question. I was getting misfires abck in Marchish and I replaced the plugs and everything seemed fine after that. Recently, I started getting a rough idle and I got codes for misfires again. So I replaced the coils as well since i didn't do that witht he plugs. I'm still getting these misfires and it's really frustrating me. So, What are the next things to look into? My first thought was fuel pump and a buddy told me to check/clean the VANOS sensors but before I do anything, I'd like to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Thanks for any insight and help you guys can provide.

2007 Mini Cooper, Non-S
125,XXX miles

The codes I'm getting are:
P0300 - Powertrain (current fault)
P0301 - Powertrain (pending fault)
P0303 - Powertrain (pending fault)
P0304 - Powertrain (pending fault)
P1434 - Powertrain (pending fault)

You have a "justa" Cooper with the N12 engine? You don't need to walnut blast (it's not a direct injected engine). Our justa Cooper's intake valves were super clean. I just pulled the cylinder head since I had oil residue in my coolant expansion tank and leakdown on cylinder #1 was 20% (the other cylinders were at 9%). Take your car to an Indy shop and have them pull up your fuel injectors on the scope. Your other option is to get a Foxwell NT510 scanner and pull up fuel pressure. My misfire was due to an intermittent cylinder 2 fuel injector (replaced at 110K miles). Car now has 127K miles on it. In your case it looks like you have multiple misfires across all cylinders, so you are right to think you have a fuel pressure problem.

Did you mean to say VANOS Solenoids?

cornjuice 08-16-2018 02:54 PM

check PCV hose & connections.. they start to crack once they get old and cause a lumpy/rough idle