Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Radiator Fan Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 06:59 AM
Bluenose
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator Fan Issue

Hi , I have an issue with my electric cooling fan but it seems different than others on this forum . Once my fan is activated ( when the motor gets hot or when I turn my air conditioner on ) the fan will stay on forever until I actually shut the car off . If I turn my car back on right away ( without air cond.) the fan will be off and stay off until it reaches the temp. setpoint that turns it on . It appears that my fan is working properly but its as if the relay ? that cycles it off does not work no matter the situation . I need to shut off my car ( and my fan will shut off with the car being shut down ) in order to get the fan to shut off . i.e. If I start my car cold and drive through a town ( air cond. off ) and the car gets hot and activates the fan that fan will stay on even if I drive 100kph ( 60 mph ) on the highway for 5 hours in a cool breeze that fan will never shut down until I stop the car and turn it off . If I restart the car right away (still without air cond. activated ) the motor starts right away and the fan will be off and it will stay that way all day unless the car reaches the setpoint that turns it on again and if that happens it will once again stay on forever until I shut the motor off . Its as if the relay will turn on the fan properly but it will never shut the fan off no matter what , I need to turn engine off then on again to reset it . I am hoping that someone can point me in a direction to possible find a remedy for this issue . Thank you very much !

Old 08-13-2018, 07:58 AM
jglover
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
When my coolant temp switch went out the fans would come on and stay on about 5 minutes after I shut off the car. Changed thermostat housing and rebuilt the electrical connector and thing went back to normal. That is until the thermo housing fail again. My fault for cheap parts!