North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   loss of power, cel, but no codes (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/329396-loss-of-power-cel-but-no-codes.html)

KSutherland 07-10-2018 04:43 PM

loss of power, cel, but no codes

OK so i was cruising down the interstate both times, to and from work. I accelerated a little hard both times to pass someone, and the cel came on, the acceleration wasn't has hard as it was, there was no miss, I checked my torque app for codes but no codes found. So after reading on the interwebs I see where it could be the HPFP or the diverter valve. How would be the best way to troubleshoot this symptom?:confused: 09 JCW Clubman (stock)

DneprDave 07-10-2018 06:21 PM

I'm not familiar with the Torque app, is it BMW Can bus compatible? if you have a Check Engine Light, You should have a code saved.

KSutherland 07-10-2018 06:52 PM

Im not sure if it will read all the BMW codes but it did read it earlier this year when i had couple of coil packs fail on me. but I also downloaded carly and ran the free diagnostic, also no codes in the motor control. I will update when this happens again and try to get more info about what was happening and try to capture the code.

MiniToBe 07-11-2018 12:07 PM

if the car start fine and doesnt have that cold start issue, then it is a vacuum related issue.

check the vacuum hoses running to the waste gate and the lines going to the canister right under the intake manifold. those sometime slip out when they're saturated with oil.

KSutherland 07-11-2018 06:11 PM

Ill have to check those, it didn't happen at all today....

KSutherland 07-12-2018 01:58 PM

ok it happened on the way home the cel came up but codes to pull and it happened after i mashed the throttle it kinda felt like i was getting no boost from the turbo................ But I stopped and had to run in the store real quick and hopped in and headed home it seemed peppy as usual but i didn't get a chance to mash the pedal to find really find out if i could recreate the problem...................

S-2013 07-12-2018 03:51 PM

Just to be clear, your cel on the center speedometer came on but not the “reduced power” half engine symbol on the tach? From past experience both would throw some kind of stored code but the reduced power light would probably be more BMW specific.

KSutherland 07-12-2018 04:24 PM

Ahh ok rookie mistake, I guess it would be the half engine symbol on the Tach. Sorry about the confusion. That makes sense it would be more BMW specific since I am not able to retrieve it.......

S-2013 07-12-2018 04:42 PM

I used Carly Pro but there are also other BMW specific code readers are available. Sounds like your going into “limp mode” possibly caused by a wastegate related issue. How many mile on your turbo?

KSutherland 07-12-2018 05:11 PM

Im not totally sure, second or third hand, right now the odometer is at 111k.

S-2013 07-13-2018 06:57 AM

I'm suspecting your turbo wastegate has excessive shaft play through the exhaust housing. These cars are notorious for this type of turbo wear.

KSutherland 07-17-2018 05:30 AM

Yeah it happened again on the way to work today and happened to monitoring my vaccuum/boost gauge. After the reduced power light it struggle to reach 4 in/hg of boost so Im suspecting something in the turbo area. So does the turbo need replaced or how would i troubleshoot this?

KSutherland 07-17-2018 03:09 PM

Interesting about the boost sensor problem Blu3town was having kinda sounds like it might be something similar with mine, because I found out on the way when reduced power light came on, even though the Torque Pro app i have cannot read it, it will clear it, so I did that and got my boost back after I cleared it. So it could of course be that or something else causing it to go into limp mode but it will come out of it once i clear it.