Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 Surging in 1st gear until warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Boverphoto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Surging in 1st gear until warm

My 2009 R56s has started to surge pretty badly when starting out in 1st gear- to the point I have to feather the clutch in and out for about 3 minutes. It starts and idles great, and no surge once warm, but not good when I have to switch cars with my wife!
I’m wondering if I need another walnut blast or if there is some cold start sensor that might be bad, or something else that occurs commonly?
No codes on a Carista. N14 short block has 8000 miles, everything else-top end-turbo has 60,000 and last walnut blast was at 35,000.
I have a Manic Stage 2, decat DP, NM intake, Wagner intercooler and colder NGK plugs, but none of that is new: It ran great until this, and runs great once warm.
I push it pretty hard (I have a warranty for another 40,000 miles) all the time and track it about 2x a year. Never burns a drop of oil-and I’ve always changed it at @ 3000 miles. Question whether my catch can does anything because it is still empty after 3 years.

Anyway, thought I’d see if this is common, but didn’t find anything searching forums.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 07-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Going to move this to the Gen2 section.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:57 AM
Boverphoto
1st Gear
Thought I'd follow up on this: It was the HPFP..duh. I had been meaning to take care of the passenger seat pad extended warranty (hot weather made the sensor go off without anything on the seat) and I knew the HPFP had an extended warranty too. MINI of Portland checked pressure off HPFP and it was low, fixed both under extended warranty, so far so good.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:44 AM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Boverphoto
Thought I'd follow up on this: It was the HPFP..duh. I had been meaning to take care of the passenger seat pad extended warranty (hot weather made the sensor go off without anything on the seat) and I knew the HPFP had an extended warranty too. MINI of Portland checked pressure off HPFP and it was low, fixed both under extended warranty, so far so good.
My car engine seems cycle a little during cold start and i thought its going to die but it doesn’t once it warms up the iddle is normal, during the cold start the fuel pressure cycled around mid 500’s-600 plus PSI in the ScanGauge that i installed and the RPM is steady, i’ve watched the pressure during acceleration and the pressure goes as high as 1400 psi on 2500 RPM..
My question now is the HPFP also need to change? is this the symptoms for bad pump? I inderstand Mini extend the warranty for 10 years or 100,000 mile and my car is about to hit that mark 100k.
I also looking to do Walnut Blasting soon and replace the timing chain once i gets all the parts i needed. DYI kind thing.
This is the things i did already:
Replaced the Vanos Solenoid i thought causing the engine to cycle—- not helping!
Replaced the Brake booster Vacuum Pump— it helps removed the knocking/tickling noise!
Replaced the timing chain tensioner with longer i think the 82mm.. — didn’t help.
Installed OCC (1 at the back of valve cover and 1 on the driver side) —it didn’t help on the blue smoke, i see blue smoke during acceleration from stop light when engine is hot and clear and every stop and go afterwards.

Last edited by drea-min; 07-27-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Mispelled
Old 07-27-2018, 10:25 PM
Boverphoto
1st Gear
I don't know how MINI dealer determined flow of my HPFP was bad, but I would have them check yours and replace it under warranty if they will.
Sounds like you have more problems than fuel supply though. Nothing worse than replacing parts and not solving the problem. I only DIY if I'm sure of a fix!
Good luck!