Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Key fob

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Key fob

Anyone else dealt with this already. Could I learn from your experience?

Old 06-19-2018, 12:33 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
You can find the case cover on sites like eBay, EXAMPLE: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncut-B...cAAOSwDk5T1kgi

Then you can use the case to replace your broken one.

Best of luck.

Motor On!

Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
If the missing button is the only problem, then a new case as suggested above should be the fix. Is there anything else wrong with the remote?

If so, you might want to send a message to Valvashon who started a side business repairing MINI keys. I've never used his services, but he's posted a lot of useful remote information and has helped other members with their keys.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 AM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
The case seems to be the only problem. However, I have never been satisfied with the range . It seems like I have to be closer to the car than I should be. My remote is not very remote!

Old 06-20-2018, 09:27 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Mspeer
The case seems to be the only problem. However, I have never been satisfied with the range . It seems like I have to be closer to the car than I should be. My remote is not very remote!
Nobody has taught you the 'chin' amplifier? Try holding the key up to your chin from say a 100 yards away. Click the unlock button. If it doesn't respond take a few steps closer and repeat. Yea, it looks dopey but it works.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Nobody has taught you the 'chin' amplifier? Try holding the key up to your chin from say a 100 yards away. Click the unlock button. If it doesn't respond take a few steps closer and repeat. Yea, it looks dopey but it works.
yeah, I've done that, it still doesn't work until I'm about 10 yards away. Plus, I'm tired of looking dopey. My car has enough problems making me look dopey without adding that to the mix! Does a weak battery affect the distance it works?

Old 06-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Mspeer
yeah, I've done that, it still doesn't work until I'm about 10 yards away. Plus, I'm tired of looking dopey. My car has enough problems making me look dopey without adding that to the mix! Does a weak battery affect the distance it works?
It well could be the battery. Also could be the environment. We were in a big city recently and my key would hardly work from right next to the car yet elsewhere and back home it's just fine. Here's a link to a guy who specializes in MINI key service. Losts of experience and trustworthy. Check him out with a PM about your situation.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mini-keys.html