Engine was just replaced and...maybe my starter is dead?? - North American Motoring

Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine was just replaced and...maybe my starter is dead??

Old 06-14-2018, 04:05 PM
Neutral

Engine was just replaced and...maybe my starter is dead??

2011 JCW. Engine was literally just changed by the dealership so it has less than 100 miles. I drove the car for 100 miles or so and the first time I stopped the car wouldn't start. When I hit the button I hear the vvvvvvvv of the starter and then it stops. I feel no vibration of the engine turning over. If I move the car a bit I can hit button and it usually starts. My guess is the solenoid is going bad on the starter. Does this sound accurate?

If it's the starter, is it easier to replace the starter from the top or underneath? I have access to a lift.

Thanks!!
Old 06-16-2018, 12:18 PM
6th Gear

Take a look at RealOEM.com and you'll see there's a bushing / sleeve on one of the mounting bolts. If this bushing is missing or isn't installed correctly, the starter can be mounted but not engage the flywheel properly. Maybe check it out before investing in a new starter?

I've never played with only the starter, but accessed it from both top and underneath --- not a fun chore. Lotsa stuff to remove when accessing from the top.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:03 PM
6th Gear

Original battery? If so, replace it..
Old 06-16-2018, 11:44 PM
6th Gear

I'd go back to the dealer and let them find out what they didn't do correctly.