North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   Lost Power to Low Pressure Fuel Pump. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/328439-lost-power-to-low-pressure-fuel-pump.html)

EuroMan 06-14-2018 11:24 AM

Lost Power to Low Pressure Fuel Pump.

I have a 2010 Clubman S that has lost supply voltage to LPFP in tank. F43-20A fuse is good. The Relay in the passenger footwell #61366901469 is not the Fuel Pump Relay, although it does feed the Fuel Pump Circuit along with all the systems in the central dash console. There are parts listings for another relay Part #: 61-36-6-977-982-BOE for the fuel pump. If so where is it located? The other info I have found states the Fuel pump relay is integrated into the kick panel Fuse Box Housing and is part of the circuit board; which means replacing and recoding the Fuse Box (expensive vs a $20 relay).

I can wire in an external relay to feed the pump but I need to know which wire leaving the Fuse Box feeds the LPFP. All options considered. Thanks

tow hook 02-01-2019 10:37 AM

I have a similar issue, no reply on my post either

EuroMan 02-01-2019 12:55 PM

Lpfp

Originally Posted by tow hook (Post 4447628)
I have a similar issue, no reply on my post either

My issue turned out to be the relay that is integral to the fuse box. Failure was determined to have been caused by water entering the fuse box from the sun roof drain tray. Appears it is a common issue as the drain hoses are not retained to the tray from the factory. Rule of hard knocks: I had the fuse box replaced but had water in it again 4 days later. Had to have the roof leaks fixed and then install another NEW fuse box. Water was also the cause of the HK stereo amp going bad. I have not dealt with that issue yet.

Good luck with yours...

edwkmho 04-20-2019 07:40 PM

Hi EuroMan,

May i know which relay u are referring to as i am having the same problem right now. If you can please share the part no for the relay would be much apprecaited.

Thanks.

EuroMan 04-20-2019 08:55 PM

The relay is a component part of the integrated circuit inside the JBE (fuse box). You have to replace the JBE. There are supersededpart numbers and you need to get the newest version. It will need to be programmed after install. Failure of the electronics is normally caused from water leaking past the sun roof drain lines. Make sure all leaks are fixed before replacing parts. My car was leaking at the right front and the right rear so my JBE and the HK stereo Amp had to be replaced. No help from Mini or my insurance company, so major $$$ to fix it.

edwkmho 04-21-2019 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by EuroMan (Post 4464765)
The relay is a component part of the integrated circuit inside the JBE (fuse box). You have to replace the JBE. There are supersededpart numbers and you need to get the newest version. It will need to be programmed after install. Failure of the electronics is normally caused from water leaking past the sun roof drain lines. Make sure all leaks are fixed before replacing parts. My car was leaking at the right front and the right rear so my JBE and the HK stereo Amp had to be replaced. No help from Mini or my insurance company, so major $$$ to fix it.

I'm sorry to hear that u have spend major $$$ for your fix. And thanks for your prompt response.

Do you mean this relay - 61366901469 can't get it separately had to get the JBE?

By the way, i don't have a sun roof.

I have checked everything and come to conclusion that no power supply to low pressure fuel pump. The relay - is working fine but no per to field pump. I have also confirmed the wires to fuel pump is no problem.

This what happened, after installed my hpfp and the new fuel filter it started but for after 2 or 3 mins, then it won't be able to start any more.

Still working on to find the culprit. I'm taking the fuse box speg out now

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

EuroMan 04-21-2019 12:04 PM

The replaceable relay you mentioned is not the one that feeds the LPFP. You will need to replace the JBE. If you take the old JBE apart , the relay is located in the lower right corner of the circuit board. It is soldered in place so very limited options getting the JBE repaired. While you have the JBE removed pull the carpet back and check for water underneath it. Also check your pin connectors for corrosion. If either are present, find and correct the leak before replacing the parts or you will be doing it again soon.

John

edwkmho 04-21-2019 08:01 PM

John,

Thanks for your adivse.

Will check and feedback.

edwkmho 04-25-2019 01:45 AM

Hi John,

Had order new JBE should be here end of the week. Hopefully it will solve the issue i am encountered.

Many thanks.

EuroMan 04-25-2019 04:31 AM

New JBE should cure the problem. Make sure to unhook the battery before starting the work. Let car sit 15-20 minutes after key off to let system go to sleep. Unhook negative, then positive battery cables. Now you can start the JBE swap. Look at all the pin connectors. If any have green corrosion then you have had water intrusion. If any are heat damaged you will need to have the pin/connector replaced. Find and fix the leak before you install the new JBE. If you don't have a sun roof, water test around windshield and cowl. Check battery box lid and drain. The battery box is a straight shot to the passenger cabin. I drilled 1/8" holes in bottom corners of JBE case so if water does get in, it has a way out.. When done with JBE swap hook up battery, POS first then Negative. Should be good to go but sometimes it will need reprogrammed ( dealership) to get all functions ( doors, windows, wipers, etc...) working proper. If battery is not unhooked and hooked up correctly the system can put itself into " transport" mode. It takes an electronic key to fix this ( dealer only).

Let me know how it goes,

MiniToBe 04-25-2019 05:30 AM

minor clarifications:

1- you can use a used JBE/SPEG as long as it matches the part number.
2- coding and programming is not needed but is recommended. you could use WinKfp and NCS (almost free online but you gotta buy a $25 k+dcan cable...worth the money)
3- getting the car out of "transport" mode can be done via INPA (almost free online but you gotta buy a $25 k+dcan cable...worth the money)

edwkmho 04-27-2019 03:16 AM

John & Minitobe,
Many thanks for the advise.

Updates:
I got a new JBE and it fire up right away.

I have the ista-d with k+ dcan cable that enable me to get out of the TRA mode without problem. Unfortunately there are some errors.

The errors are features that are not installed in my car. I don't have heated windscreen installed so it gave me errors. Not sure how to proceed now.

Do i need to use ista-P to change VO ??

Your help is much appreciated. Many thanks.

MiniToBe 04-27-2019 06:17 AM

Good to hear that brother....if you have winfkp and NCS you can code it easily otherwise you may use ISTAP. If you go that route, make sure you're in expert mode. Make sure you ONLY select JBE. ISTAP has a tendency to select quite a few modules.
let me know if you need help with that :)

edwkmho 04-27-2019 06:36 AM

Keeping my finger crossed that i recode it.

I have used ISTAP once to code my battery from 55mah to 70mah. I'm using k+dacn usb do you think it's possible to code JBE?

Many thanks.

MiniToBe 04-27-2019 06:39 AM

ISTAP does not code like that...you're probably talking about ISTA+ or ISTAD. What other software packages you have for mini/bmw?

edwkmho 04-27-2019 07:24 AM

i have ISTA-P 3.66.0.200 with ISTAP loader v6.4
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...2dc644908e.jpg

MiniToBe 04-27-2019 07:44 AM

Aha good. Run it to program and code the JBE.

edwkmho 04-28-2019 09:54 AM

I will try it out on Monday and feedback.

Many thanks.

edwkmho 04-29-2019 01:59 AM

Hey Guys,

Below is the faults that i am trying to eliminate :
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...79a93ad981.jpg
I have not tried connecting the USTAP to the vehicle yet. As for the ISTAP I am using K+DCAN cable not the ICOM, not sure it will work.

To keep the story short, i have installed a new JBE and these are the fault code that appear after that. Before install the new JBE these fault code were never there, the reason for new JBE was diagnosed with K96 fuel pump relay faulty. The other thoughts is that i don't have windscreen heater installed from day one but now it is complaining that can't find the windscreen heater.

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.

MiniToBe 04-29-2019 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by MiniToBe (Post 4466101)
Aha good. Run it to program and code the JBE.

when load ISTAP, go to settings and choose Ediabas as your connection. that's how you utilize the K+Dcan cable.

edwkmho 04-29-2019 09:38 AM

Yes, i have setup to use the EDIABAS as my connection.

Will give it a try tomorrow. Many thanks.

edwkmho 05-02-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by MiniToBe (Post 4466423)
when load ISTAP, go to settings and choose Ediabas as your connection. that's how you utilize the K+Dcan cable.

Hey MiniToBe,

One silly question what should i be coding for a new JBE installation, kindly explain as i have not do any major coding with ISTAP.

I am so afraid of screw up the program in the car.

Sorry to trouble you. Many thanks.

MiniToBe 05-02-2019 09:44 AM

When you fire up ISTP, it gathers the proper information from your CAS. So, the only thing you need to do is select JBE to be programmed and coded. ISTAP will automatically do that. You dont have to get into the trace file and change anything like you would for NCS.

Post pix and i can walk you through it or pm me.

edwkmho 05-02-2019 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by MiniToBe (Post 4467116)
When you fire up ISTP, it gathers the proper information from your CAS. So, the only thing you need to do is select JBE to be programmed and coded. ISTAP will automatically do that. You dont have to get into the trace file and change anything like you would for NCS.

Alright, i will give it a try tomorrow. Will pm u if help needed.

Thanks.

edwkmho 05-03-2019 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by MiniToBe (Post 4467116)

I managed to get ISTA-P to work and come out with actions list. What i am concern is that ISTA-P is going to update my ECU to latest version that i feel not confident if using the K+DCAN cable. Would like your advice.

Is it possible not to update the ecu to the latest version and just code the JBE?

Anyway, i didn't proceed with the actions list.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...d210378e65.jpg
Control Module tree
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...65bed0ba3a.jpg
Process control modules
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...3e7f9db7cc.jpg
Actions list