Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

DSC light coming on intermittently while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 03:44 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
I can be wrong. I give it near zero chance the flickering is caused by the DSC switch. It will take some careful diagnosis to find the fault on this. A detail chronology of events is necessary, plug careful observation of when and under what condition the DSC flickers.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:05 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Here is the thing: I use a dealer type of system. It gives way more info that a typical scanner. You may need to take it to a dealer (even many indie dealers have these) and have them read all the codes. Many are hidden to simple testers. It usually shows how many times a code is tripped and may identify where the code is being tripped at.
is the best way to isolate where and why this is occurring.
Sometimes it is a good idea to use a dealer (knowledgeable indie dealer) with electrical problems.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:50 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
these kinda electrical gremlens are hard to track down, I agree with itsmewayne, I would hook up ista-d and see what it says

and I would replace the wheel sensor the dealer messed with, I picked up a full set at the junkyard when mine acted up

Old 06-04-2018, 08:01 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Staudacher

Despite the new hub & sensor (both OEM? probably not), I'd still check that first - mainly because it's cheap & easy to do!
It could be just a new sensor plug into an old rusty body wiring socket, or a loose securing bolt.

I'll comment that the threshold for detecting wheel spin seems to be set pretty low - I've had it kick in accelerating over shiny painted road markings.
On the odd occasions I switch it off on dry roads, I get the feeling the car is 'more responsive' - no evidence, just a feeling.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:47 AM
pnwR53S
I just want to mention that the DSC system, there is also a steering wheel sensor in addition to the 4 wheel speed sensors - for completeness sake. I am in no way suggest it may be your problem. The history you recounted suggest more likely you issue lies with the wheel sensor and damaged tone ring the grease monkey caused.

Ignore the suggestion you need a dealer level diagnostic tool. Most of us don't have one and make do just fine. Observe the problem carefully and think. If the DSC light flickers going straight and you know for sure it should not trigger, it is very unlikely the steering angle sensor is implicated.

One more clue, which you didn't make clear. Have you try to observe what happen if you consistently switch off DSC in your trips/drives? And if so what happen?

Old 06-04-2018, 03:36 PM
staudacher
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so I hooked up my laptop to the car and did some data logging with the AutoEnginuity software. I never got a missed count or bad data on any of the wheel speed sensors but one thing I did notice is that my steering wheel angle was showing +16 to +20 degrees when going straight.

I took a gamble and aligned the left front in line with the left rear and checked the angle. It was showing a +9.6. So I ran the steering angle calibration routine and now driving down the road my steering angle is no more than + or - 2.5 degrees. I drove the car for about an hour after running the steering angle calibration and did not have a single false activation of the DSC. Before I couldn’t even make the 15 minute trip into town without having 3 or 4 false activations of the DSC.

Time will tell if the issue is actually resolved.

Now if this problem is resolved I get to move on to the next one. Getting rid of the stumble off idle

Last edited by staudacher; 06-04-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:25 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by staudacher
Ok so I hooked up my laptop to the car and did some data logging with the AutoEnginuity software. I never got a missed count or bad data on any of the wheel speed sensors but one thing I did notice is that my steering wheel angle was showing +16 to +20 degrees when going straight.

I took a gamble and aligned the left front in line with the left rear and checked the angle. It was showing a +9.6. So I ran the steering angle calibration routine and now driving down the road my steering angle is no more than + or - 2.5 degrees. I drove the car for about an hour after running the steering angle calibration and did not have a single false activation of the DSC. Before I couldn’t even make the 15 minute trip into town without having 3 or 4 false activations of the DSC.

Time will tell if the issue is actually resolved.

Now if this problem is resolved I get to move on to the next one. Getting rid of the stumble off idle
Sound like you found and solved the DSC issue. I have no idea there is firmware calibration provision.

The stumble is a design feature of DSC/ASC. One can only rid it by telling the driving nanny to stay home.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:31 PM
staudacher
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Sound like you found and solved the DSC issue. I have no idea there is firmware calibration provision.

The stumble is a design feature of DSC/ASC. One can only rid it by telling the driving nanny to stay home.
:( That's disappointing. Any way to permanently disable the DSC and or reduce the intrusiveness of the ABS?

Old 06-04-2018, 04:38 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by staudacher
:( That's disappointing. Any way to permanently disable the DSC and or reduce the intrusiveness of the ABS?
The driving nanny is very persistent. You have to tell it to stay off every time you start the engine. It is my preflight check item just like turning the ignition key and release the parking brake. This can be automated with Ian Cull's module or build your own. I know of no way to switch it off via firmware.

ABS is a different matter. It is always on, unless you take the drastic action to disable it.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:46 PM
staudacher
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
The driving nanny is very persistent. You have to tell it to stay off every time you start the engine. It is my preflight check item just like turning the ignition key and release the parking brake. This can be automated with Ian Cull's module or build your own. I know of no way to switch it off via firmware.

ABS is a different matter. It is always on, unless you take the drastic action to disable it.
How drastic of an action is required to dial back the abs? Can anything be done in the software?

Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
pull the abs fuse, but if you track do not do it, flat spot tires are VERY easy to get and costly

glad it was a cheap fix, I have to re-zero my r53 too, it's not enough to make it trigger the dsc but I see it's off on my data logger & track videos. I noticed it was off on my last trackday, you can see in the vid how far off it is.