Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Compressor surge on my R56S

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:51 PM
Tylerkun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Compressor surge on my R56S

Quick details on the car itself, its got a catless down pipe, secondary cat delete, and a K&N intake. Its also tuned with a Stage 2 Alta Acessport.

About a week ago the car was driving perfect then went into limp mode with no check engine light or active codes. I pulled over and checked what I could but did not see anything out if the ordinary. It was a little low on oil, so I walked across the street to an auto zone and put about .25 of a quart in there.

Turning it on made the limp mode go away. I drove it without a heavy foot and no issues the whole way.

A day later I drove it with a little heavier of a foot and heard compressor surge from the turbo. That told me something was wrong with the blow off valve (diverter valve if you want the proper name)

Rather than buying an expensive new valve, I opted to tryout one of those ebay blow off valve spacers to see if that fixed it. If it worked i was planning to buy an actual blow off valve. It basically created a big boost leak taking it down from 20psi to 12psi. It also still was causing compressor surge.

So my question is what exactly is happening here? I can drive normally and it holds boost. If I let off the gas slowly it doesn’t surge and doesn't throw it into limp mode.

Any Mini wizards know how to fix this problem?

Old 05-24-2018, 08:41 PM
EdsNotHere
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Doesn’t sound like a diverter valve. I had the same issue and adjusted the waste gate to drop the boost below 21 lbs and problem solved. I have a manic stage 1

Originally Posted by Tylerkun
Quick details on the car itself, its got a catless down pipe, secondary cat delete, and a K&N intake. Its also tuned with a Stage 2 Alta Acessport.

About a week ago the car was driving perfect then went into limp mode with no check engine light or active codes. I pulled over and checked what I could but did not see anything out if the ordinary. It was a little low on oil, so I walked across the street to an auto zone and put about .25 of a quart in there.

Turning it on made the limp mode go away. I drove it without a heavy foot and no issues the whole way.

A day later I drove it with a little heavier of a foot and heard compressor surge from the turbo. That told me something was wrong with the blow off valve (diverter valve if you want the proper name)

Rather than buying an expensive new valve, I opted to tryout one of those ebay blow off valve spacers to see if that fixed it. If it worked i was planning to buy an actual blow off valve. It basically created a big boost leak taking it down from 20psi to 12psi. It also still was causing compressor surge.

So my question is what exactly is happening here? I can drive normally and it holds boost. If I let off the gas slowly it doesn’t surge and doesn't throw it into limp mode.

Any Mini wizards know how to fix this problem?

Old 05-25-2018, 02:23 AM
Tylerkun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by EdsNotHere
Doesn’t sound like a diverter valve. I had the same issue and adjusted the waste gate to drop the boost below 21 lbs and problem solved. I have a manic stage 1
It’s odd though, because when I flashed the stock tune back to the ECU it still did the same thing. I don’t think it has too much boost because even at the stock 12psi it was doing the exact same surging.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:20 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
The turbo housing where the wastegate goes through can wear out on these cars and cause the wastegate to not close fully. Also, the diverted valve diaphragm can tear causing boost leak and failures. Also also, the high pressure fuel pump can start acting wonky causing fueling issues. And the vacuum pressure converter can go out causing boost related issues. And the ignition coils can start to fail causing problems.

I would start with the easy parts first, and dig deeper as you go. Start by pulling the diverted valve and checking the diaphragm. Then check the wastegate where it passes through the turbin housing for looseness.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:55 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Sounds like the car is running very lean and pulling boost/timing.. that comes from the settings flashed on ECU and the intake. ECU wont 'give' boost pressure if fuel isnt there.

*you said you flashed back to stock and still had the issue..did you drive it for a while to let the ECU learning curve settle? (need ~50mi or so)

Old 06-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Tylerkun
2nd Gear
Just to update in the chance that anyone with the same issue can have something to search.

I pulled off the diverter valve and found the rubber inside was torn. I cleaned it and temporarily patched it. It worked fine. I’ll be replacing the whole unit so it doesn’t tear again.