North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Changed fuel filter.. no start (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/326821-changed-fuel-filter-no-start.html)

broost 05-01-2018 06:11 AM

Changed fuel filter.. no start

Morning folks.

Changed the the fuel filter yesterday.
Double/triple checked everything. Putted the thing back in. Primed without the hose to make sure pressure was building ( fuel came out the hole. So yes the gas would go through. )

plugged the the hose back. Primed key on off 3-4 times.. nothing.. primed again.. nothing . Engine turns but won’t start. oem filter kit/ 1/4 tank of gas. Battery full

HELP PLEASE ! :)

NC TRACKRAT 05-01-2018 06:31 AM

Year, model, mileage?

broost 05-01-2018 06:33 AM

Mcs r53 2006 facelift. 150k miles

AoxoMoxoA 05-01-2018 06:43 AM

Check whether you have fuel pressure at the rail.

There's a Schrader valve (similar to a tire valve) at the right-side end of the rail that you can access after removing the intercooler. Remove the black plastic cap, stuff a wad of paper shop towels all around the valve, and insert a small screwdriver into the center (depressing the center stem) and see if fuel comes out under pressure, therefore releasing pressure within the system. If it does, try priming the system once again by turning the key into position 2 a couple times. Test fuel rail again. If no pressure, fuel is not reaching engine, and you'll need to recheck your connections. If pressure, you have another issue.

Are you sure you snapped fuel line back into fuel filter cap correctly?
Pushed in until you heard a positive click?

It can get rather dirty in the fuel filter area. It's possible that the connection can pick up some of that crud and not seat securely within the filter cover.

broost 05-01-2018 06:58 AM

:/ filter kit is new, all o-ring changed.

Ill check the fuel rail once at home

NC TRACKRAT 05-01-2018 11:45 AM

As he said above, check your gasket and connections. I recall that, when I did a fuel filter change, I thought that I had properly installed the gasket but it wouldn't start. Re-did it with success.

pnwR53S 05-01-2018 12:19 PM

There is something about Mini's groovy no-return fuel supply, and closed system for emission. There are abundance of people not able to get the car started after doing the maintenance in the fuel tanks. From what I infer, the pressure regulation of fuel supply is all over the place too. There are many excellent threads over the pond on Minitorque of owners trying to redesign the fuel supply system with great expense and time.

broost 05-01-2018 05:11 PM

GOT IT !!!

The twist its cap wasn’t all turned in correctly.

When I went to redo everything, I notice that the marks on the top cap weren’t at their place.. removed it, greased the large thin oring( helps a lot !!) and putted the thing in its hole and made sure the seal was the right one ( not the diesel only) ant screwed the lock.. primed .. start !! It’s alive!

NC TRACKRAT 05-01-2018 05:15 PM

Excellent! Glad you found the culprit!