Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

06 Mini S wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 05:52 AM
parkbran097
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Mini S wont crank

hey everyone..

i have a big problem with my mini.. I bought it last week and it ran and drove perfect with no issues, the other day I drove it to get some paint, keep in mind it was running and driving perfectly.. I get out of the paint store, get in and turn the key, nothing happens.

i tested the battery thinking it was a power issue and the battery read 12.6 volts 604cca I checked the grounds and everything.

I tried to bump start it in reverse and second gear, the engine wouldn’t even turn over! I also tried getting a jump from a cummins and still nothing..

i started to get really frustrated.. I got it towed to my shop, jacked it up and put a breaker bar on the crank, it won’t budge! Took the spark plugs out and tried again, same issue...

what could possibly be the problem ? Could the starter bendix gear be lodged into the flywheel? Could the engine seize when it wasn’t making any weird noises and was running perfect before shutting it off? Has anyone experienced something like this before ? All help is appreciated !

Old 04-18-2018, 05:59 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
We should also mention that his sunroof leaked on the passenger side.
It may not affect everyone's plans, but should be mentioned.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 AM
parkbran097
Neutral
Originally Posted by jamez
We should also mention that his sunroof leaked on the passenger side.
It may not affect everyone's plans, but should be mentioned.
it also leaked after it wouldn’t crank

Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 AM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Does it crank at all? Or absolutely nothing? I'd replace battery if nothing is happening. How did you try jump starting?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:07 AM
parkbran097
Neutral
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
Does it crank at all? Or absolutely nothing? I'd replace battery if nothing is happening. How did you try jump starting?
I can hear the starter solinoid click once, when I try a bunch of times I smell a burning smell from starter, and again, crank seems seized

Old 04-18-2018, 07:25 AM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Hmm

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-in-cabin.html

Maybe? Post #15 shows his fix. Happened after it rained, water got into his fusebox.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:29 AM
parkbran097
Neutral
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
Hmm

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-in-cabin.html

Maybe? Post #15 shows his fix. Happened after it rained, water got into his fusebox.
in that thread it says his car cranks but doesn’t fire.. similar problem but I have no water leaks anywhere except passenger sunroof drain

Old 04-18-2018, 07:49 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
I would pull the belt off and see if you can turn the engine from the crank.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:27 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbran097

I can hear the starter solinoid click once, when I try a bunch of times I smell a burning smell from starter, and again, crank seems seized
That is one big clue. Seems likely the starter is seized and try cranking it cause it to overheat. I will remove the starter and see if you can hand spin the crank. The solenoid and hence the Bendix gear is stuck thrusted forward to the flywheel gear.

Alternately you can watch the voltage of the battery when you try crank the starter, and you likely see a huge voltage sag.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:51 AM
Snydermann
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
.. I got it towed to my shop, jacked it up and put a breaker bar on the crank, it won’t budge! Took the spark plugs out and tried again, same issue...
Sounds like the engine locked up to me.

I suppose it could be a jammed starter into the flywheel, but I've never seen that happen on a German car.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:34 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Has anyone ever heard of an SC PTO gear seizing the SC?

He mentioned he heard a "gravel in the wheel well" type sound (could be SC PTO gears, they sound like that), but I've never heard of an SC being seized by that.

Removing the belt and trying to turn it over by hand could eliminate that, but it also could be overheated due to loss of water pump (though he mentioned it didn't overheat)

Old 04-19-2018, 09:29 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Want to update the group on your success yesterday afternoon?

Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 AM
pnwR53S
Re-reading his chronology, it smell awfully like the starter seized with the Bendix gear engaged with the flywheel. Do take some care when removing the starter to verify. It might be binding a bit so gentle does it. It is the easiest way to determine next step. Best of luck. Again, no mileage of the car was given.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Snydermann
2nd Gear
If he says he can hear the starter "click", isn't that the solenoid engaging and moving the drive gear? If the starter gear were jammed into the flywheel I don't think you'd hear a click?

Hard to believe a little starter motor is so FUBAR it resists being turned by a breaker bar.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:08 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Snydermann
If he says he can hear the starter "click", isn't that the solenoid engaging and moving the drive gear? If the starter gear were jammed into the flywheel I don't think you'd hear a click?

Hard to believe a little starter motor is so FUBAR it resists being turned by a breaker bar.
I was texting with him yesterday afternoon on it. He got it running with a tow-start. So the engine is at least not seized.

We're thinking it's electrical to the starter at this point.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Snydermann
2nd Gear
hey everyone..

i have a big problem with my mini.. I bought it last week and it ran and drove perfect with no issues, the other day I drove it to get some paint, keep in mind it was running and driving perfectly.. I get out of the paint store, get in and turn the key, nothing happens.

i tested the battery thinking it was a power issue and the battery read 12.6 volts 604cca I checked the grounds and everything.

I tried to bump start it in reverse and second gear, the engine wouldn’t even turn over! I also tried getting a jump from a cummins and still nothing..

i started to get really frustrated.. I got it towed to my shop, jacked it up and put a breaker bar on the crank, it won’t budge! Took the spark plugs out and tried again, same issue...

what could possibly be the problem ? Could the starter bendix gear be lodged into the flywheel? Could the engine seize when it wasn’t making any weird noises and was running perfect before shutting it off? Has anyone experienced something like this before ? All help is appreciated !
Originally Posted by jamez
I was texting with him yesterday afternoon on it. He got it running with a tow-start. So the engine is at least not seized.

We're thinking it's electrical to the starter at this point.
But? . . . . Why couldn't he turn the motor with a breaker bar?

Old 04-19-2018, 10:15 AM
pnwR53S

Think gear ratio. The starter gear is tiny compare to the diameter of the flywheel gear. It is like trying to jump start with the reverse gear. Also the starter motor can be seized solid but the solenoid can still make a muted click as long as there is backlash.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Snydermann
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Think gear ratio. The starter gear is tiny compare to the diameter of the flywheel gear. It is like trying to jump start with the reverse gear. Also the starter motor can be seized solid but the solenoid can still make a muted click as long as there is backlash.
Unless it's spinning there is no gear ratio. 200 foot pounds of torque applied to the crank bolt ---> to the flywheel tooth ---> to the jammed starter gear tooth, is still going to be almost 200 foot pounds of torque at the starter gear. Assuming a jammed starter gear, all these parts are connected. Think of a bicycle crank and sprocket, if you push down on the pedal the same forces are through the crank, chain, and sprockets until it starts to roll. Not to mention the leverages you have from a few feet of breaker bar and a 14"(?) flywheel against a 1 inch starter gear.

I've jump started many cars in reverse, I don't understand that reference.

Last edited by Snydermann; 04-19-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:36 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Alternator?

Out of curiosity, how long did it run after tow starting it? I ask, because I recently had a similar problem. Drove home, heard something, smelled what I thought was electrical burning smell. Got home, turned off car and it would not crank at all. After spending a couple of day's trying to jump start it, charging the battery it still did not budge.
Thanks to the forum and @nkfry, it turned out to be the alternator.

here is my thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-no-start.html

Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 AM
parkbran097
Neutral
Originally Posted by lotter1
Out of curiosity, how long did it run after tow starting it? I ask, because I recently had a similar problem. Drove home, heard something, smelled what I thought was electrical burning smell. Got home, turned off car and it would not crank at all. After spending a couple of day's trying to jump start it, charging the battery it still did not budge.
Thanks to the forum and @nkfry, it turned out to be the alternator.

here is my thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-no-start.html
hey everyone ! Yes I bump started it in 5th gear yesterday.. it ran for like 10 minutes cause I just drove it back to where it was and turned it off.. it still sounded super healthy! No noises or anything.. I’ll update more this weekend about what I’ve figured the problem is.. at to the one who commented about mileage, 233,000kms which idk what it is in miles

Old 04-19-2018, 11:44 AM
pnwR53S
Unless it's spinning there is no gear ratio. 200 foot pounds of torque applied to the crank bolt ---> to the flywheel tooth ---> to the jammed starter gear tooth, is still going to be almost 200 foot pounds of torque at the starter gear. Assuming a jammed starter gear, all these parts are connected. Think of a bicycle crank and sprocket, if you push down on the pedal the same forces are through the crank, chain, and sprockets until it starts to roll. Not to mention the leverages you have from a few feet of breaker bar and a 14"(?) flywheel against a 1 inch starter gear.

I've jump started many cars in reverse, I don't understand that reference.
With due respect you err on torque. 200 ft-lb does not translate to 200 ft-lb of torque on the starter wheel, or else there is no such thing as transmission.

Mini's starter has 10 teeth max.

The flywheel has say 100 teeth.

200 lb-ft of torque applied to the crank bolt will be reduced to 20 lb-ft of torque at the starter, and that is ignoring friction of the engine and the stater motor. If you can turn it, the starter will spin at 10x the rpm. So the starter motor only need to be 20 lb-ft tight to stop you dead from turning it at the crank bolt with 200 lb-ft.

hey everyone ! Yes I bump started it in 5th gear yesterday..
If you are unable to jump start it in 2nd something is wrong. But then it is about the technique, and if the car is badly in need of a tuneup.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Snydermann
2nd Gear
Dude, everything is stationary initially. The twisting motion of the breaker bar on the crank bolt goes through the crank, to the flywheel, to the starter gear. There is no toothed gearing advantage until it starts to spin. You also have a leverage advantage in the flywheel and the breaker bar over that 1 inch starter gear.

Like I said, think of a bicycle chain, the tension in the top of the chain from the crank to the rear wheel sprocket under pressure is equal, until the rear wheel spins. The crank of the bike is the crank of the car, the rear sprocket is the starter gear.

You have a huge lever, 2 feet of breaker bar, and 1/2 the diameter of the flywheel, the crankshaft is the fulcrum. All that against a tiny starter gear and motor armature.

Last edited by Snydermann; 04-19-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:11 PM
pnwR53S
There is no toothed gearing advantage until it starts to spin.
There is one gaping hole. Gear ratio is and rotational analogue of leverage bar. The ratio of force is there stationary or not. A 1:10 ratio will always give you 10:1 force or torque. The tradeoff is 1/10 less displacement, or in the case of rational gear 1/10 less RPM.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:15 PM
pnwR53S

hey everyone ! Yes I bump started it in 5th gear yesterday.. it ran for like 10 minutes cause I just drove it back to where it was and turned it off.. it still sounded super healthy! No noises or anything.. I’ll update more this weekend about what I’ve figured the problem is.. at to the one who commented about mileage, 233,000kms which idk what it is in miles
Since I am not there to see exactly how you bump start it, I can only infer. If you are unable to turn the engine over pushing it say 10 mph in 2nd or 3rd something in the engine or the ancillaries are causing too much drag. Just because the engine seem run strong does not mean it is OK. Once started, the ECU will apply as much throttle to keep the engine at normal idle RPM.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:26 PM
Snydermann
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
There is one gaping hole. Gear ratio is and rotational analogue of leverage bar. The ratio of force is there stationary or not. A 1:10 ratio will always give you 10:1 force or torque. The tradeoff is 1/10 less displacement, or in the case of rational gear 1/10 less RPM.
Clamp the starter motor in a vise.

Engage a 30" prybar into a tooth of the starter, lever against the starter housing, and pull. The prybar is now about the same as one tooth on the flywheel (driven by a 24" prybar plus the 6" radius of flywheel).

Gear reduction or advantage has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by Snydermann; 04-19-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 06 Mini S wont crank